Code P0456

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
trouble shooting a small or large leak is simple & can be cost free to check

The fuel cap, just turn it upside down & study the seal for tears or ripples, hopefully it is a Mopar Cap, because the Mopar Spring inside the cap is better than after market.

Next is the PURGE VALVE, it is located up in the engine compartment, 3rd Gen & early 4th Gen Purge Valve is almost under the battery.
Otherwise 4th Gen is almost under the Throttle Body.
When checking the Purge Valve, wipe it off & attempt to blow air through it, if air will go through, the Purge Valve needs to be replaced.

So far it only cost you time to trouble shoot.

If the ESIM is bad or good, i don't know if there is any way to check it, unless the seal is torn or somehow out of place.
You will not know until a new one is purchased.

If the Hoses are cracked or torn, you can check the hose right at the ends with a visual check, otherwise the Smoke Test is an alternative.
Where hose travels from the ESIM on the Charcoal Cannister & up to the Purge Valve, look at places where the hose is close to a proximity of heat

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why does almost every thread about an EVAP leak recommend the parts cannon? And most every thread where someone has fired the parts cannon at some other problem say don't fire the parts cannon?

Smoke test machines can be had on Amazon for $75. They will help pinpoint the EVAP leak so one can fix the problem right the first time and probably cost about the same or less than the parts cannon. As an added bonus, one will have the machine for future problems or to help their friends and neighbors.
Funny that it was likened to a parts cannon. Don't know, but common sense would dictate in some cases (should be most cases, but I degress). A simple understanding of the system(s) and the root causes of some of the most common failures would logically point to the 2 or 3 simplest remedies. 1st, gas cap, 2nd purge valve.

But hey, that's just me.
PS: Those 2 parts cost far less than the smoke machine alone.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You want smoke ?
proportionally cut the ingredients used in the film

Maybe place a over turned funnel over top of a bucket to catch a little of the smoke, there is no reason to seal them together, because you want oxygen to enter the container
connect a hose to the small part of the funnel, place the unit upwind from the vehicle, you don't want the whole vehicle buried in smoke.

If it does not work with a little tweaking, you now know how to make smoke shows.
I wonder if you could use just a touch of powdered dye to make it colorful ?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny that it was likened to a parts cannon. Don't know, but common sense would dictate in some cases (should be most cases, but I degress). A simple understanding of the system(s) and the root causes of some of the most common failures would logically point to the 2 or 3 simplest remedies. 1st, gas cap, 2nd purge valve.

But hey, that's just me.
PS: Those 2 parts cost far less than the smoke machine alone.
Right but I’d like them to tell me if there is a leak in a hose. I’ve read enough on here that I know it isn’t likely to be the gas cap.