Coil spring letting go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I have a 2012 1500 with a 4" RCX lift. Yesterday I was driving down the highway and the rear coil spring let go, this is the second time this has happened in less than 25,000km. It's currently laying sideways under the truck. By no means do I abuse my truck at all, it's never been off-roaded and has seen only a couple dirt roads and every 5000km it goes in for an oil change and is supposed to be looked over for any issues as it is still under warranty. Has anyone had this issue before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jessriley

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
9872010af5e0d77b0be4acc0e0e9fa72.jpg

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
well It's rough country...bottom of the barrel imo

anyways I'm gonna guess you have the wrong Springs. I'd contact rc and see what they say.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need spring retainers. Mine started to pop out. There's nothing wrong with Rcx other then the rear coil spacers suck

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
spring retainers sound like a band aid

Most coil sprung vehicles use them in some form or fashion... But if all you have is a spacer it shouldn't be popping out under normal use. I'd be interested to see pics of the spacers on your truck. Possibly got installed or even manufactured wrong.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
something is Cleary not right and I run a rear spacer on top of my coil spring, with lift kit, no issues, no retainers

OP
OP
jessriley

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it to the shop and they said everything is installed correctly and they don't know why it keeps happening. The shop manager has the same lift and has had no problems. I was tired of dealing with it, and wondering when it was going to happen again, so I traded it in and got a new sport

e402a18d532dfac7dec18e11aaf6f9e6.jpg

OP
OP
jessriley

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Defiantly not. The RCX was on it when I bought it, the dealer had done quite a few of them in 2012. Some had issues some didn't. I think I'm just going to put Bilsteins and A/T tires on this. It's my daily driver and i don't do anything with it that I need a lift, I have an ATV to scratch that itch.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard of a couple of people having rear coil issues with RCX lifts ? They contact RCX and no help at all ?
Lots of people have no issues ...

If you lift your sport , go with zone or BDS , I'll be going BDS .
Lots seem to be happy with superlift . Much cheeper $

OP
OP
jessriley

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I contacted rough country a couple times, no replies to emails and no help over the phone. I wouldn't even look at RCX when doing a lift and I won't recommend it. The ride quality was horrible.

I'll just be levelling this one. It rides like a dream now which is awesome and I don't want to lose that

OP
OP
jessriley

jessriley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
R.L.K. I noticed you put the Bilsteins on your truck. How do you like them? Any change in the ride quality?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really like the Bilsteins, I'm over 5k on them @ + 2.8 " , imo the ride quality is better than stock . The install is pretty easy to.
Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love your new truck , yours doest seem to have the rake I did , I believe yours would level just fine one ring down from the top ( +2.1")
Nice thing about leveling with bills now , you then can save for a lift and use then with most lifts to achieve level as many people do .