Cold air intake worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm debating on putting a cold air intake on my 1500 hemi. Some say you get better MPG/power others say it's a waste of money.

TX-RAM-MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 4X4 Sport
It's probably both. Without a bunch of other mods the CAI alone probably doesnt improve much. I just ordered the S&B CAI yesterday mainly just so I can show it off :head3:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's probably both. Without a bunch of other mods the CAI alone probably doesnt improve much. I just ordered the S&B CAI yesterday mainly just so I can show it off :head3:
^^ding, ding, ding!
If you want looks and maybe some noise and perhaps a small bit of giddy up, a CAI is an easy owner installed mod.

If you are all about the $ spent, probably not.

Stand-by someone will be around soon to tell you how they feel its not worth it, blah, blah, blah. :boxing:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm debating on putting a cold air intake on my 1500 hemi. Some say you get better MPG/power others say it's a waste of money.

Before my vararam I could not be at by Co workers Cummins, after I can. That is a real world gain to me.

OP
OP
B

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
thanks for the info guys. the added power and noise might be worth it. i figure you can't go wrong with a little extra of those.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would only buy a CAI for the improved wot sounds. The claims made by posters of large gains by installing a CAI I believe are more mentally perceived then provable. If I saw a dyno before and after installing a CAI that showed the claims to be correct I'd be the first one to support the claims.

And before any says it (Casper) :) I'm not a hater, just a realist.

chris*1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does sound good when you open up the throttle. By itself though, it's a pretty expensive air filter. To get the full benefit, you'd have to stack it with a tuner and ideally a higher flow exhaust.

Kwevans90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you're going to put a CAI on you should also look at an exhaust so your truck can inhale as well as exhale.

expressthis13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I own a 2013 ram 1500 now depending on your year it could be bad or good. I put a vararam on my truck and I was not satisfied at all. My power didn't gain I didn't like the way it looked or fit under the hood and I gained absolutely no sound from it. Tonight I took off the vararam and put my factory intake back on because it seemed to be causing issues. It has been at the dealership twice now for SES light which came air fuel ratio and oxygen sensor. The recommended I replace the aftermarket intake with my factory intake for further testing. I did that tonight and went a drove around for probably 30 minutes give or take interstate and in town and the truck ran so much better and the light has yet to come back. Now I am just one guy here but if you decide to go with an intake I would recommend Airaid snb or Volant I would not recommend vararam it was a waste of money in my eyes. everything nowadays is so finely tuned you change one thing and the whole system goes ape ****.

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the vararam intake...saw some mpg increase...."moes" (a vendor on here) did a dyne to prove the hp increase....take it or leave it...but for me the vararam is a good system that actually pulls in "cool" air from in front of the radiator .... YMMV but I love mine.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
CAI is one of those things that has always had to go with exhaust for the best results. It's always been one of those first mods because of the price range. But over the years, they've gotten more expensive. It used to be under $200 get a good ol' K&N CAI. These days, it seems like all brands run over $250.00 except for the cheapo ebay china ones.

In that context, as a first mod, I dunno anymore. I went with the catch can first. I picked up the Airgrabber because I ordered the Mufflex at the same time.

Lots of anecdotal evidence for sure, but as a lot of folks have described, I feel the truck pulling harder in the upper RPM power band, especially when I step on it at highway speeds.

BTW, for what it's worth, there are few mods that do amazing things by themselves alone. Airgrabber's dyno claims, are on a truck with headers and full exhaust. Why didn't they just test it on a stock truck? Hmmm.... maybe because it wouldn't of resulted in the same results?

There are a lot of variables in producing power. If there were not, then summit and jegs wouldn't sell 40 different camshafts and different styles of heads for engines, etc. Think about it. Lots of combos, lots of possibilities and lots of results.

To deny it outright because nothing happened for you, is just nonsense. At least acknowledge the variables at play.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I talked to one of our exhaust after treatment engineering managers (large engine manufacture, not automotive) yesterday. You must reprogram the engine's computer to call for more air. Also note that air filter systems are designed to give enough air flow in the worst case situation -- at end of filter life for someone who never changed it (think lease car, end if 36,000 mikes). Performance remains the same through that time though because the computer adjusts. There may be exceptions to this, but likely rare among modern computer controlled engines.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I talked to one of our exhaust after treatment engineering managers (large engine manufacture, not automotive) yesterday. You must reprogram the engine's computer to call for more air. Also note that air filter systems are designed to give enough air flow in the worst case situation -- at end of filter life for someone who never changed it (think lease car, end if 36,000 mikes). Performance remains the same through that time though because the computer adjusts. There may be exceptions to this, but likely rare among modern computer controlled engines.

My instructions on the airgrabber say you need to reset the PCM and then drive 30 miles so the computer can relearn and set the long range fuel tables.

:favorites13: A lot of people are in a rush. It will take much longer for the truck to adjust if you skip steps.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I'm not talking reset. I'm talking complete re-program if ECM computer. Only with the proper tuner (flash of ECM with right code /algorithms) will the engine benefit from freer flowing air filter.

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My instructions on the airgrabber say you need to reset the PCM and then drive 30 miles so the computer can relearn and set the long range fuel tables.

:favorites13: A lot of people are in a rush. It will take much longer for the truck to adjust if you skip steps.

I was one of those people. I put on a CAI about 2 months ago and never reset. Should I be good by now, or would it still help to reset?