Condensation in oem headlights fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my car for less than 12 hours and already condensation in the headlights

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Wow....a 2016 and the same old condensation issues? I had misguided hopes that Chrysler would actually try to address the common quality issues we experience out in the field.

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you would figure OEM wouldn't have this issue, but i've never had any condensation in my tyc projectôrs

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another update....

Well, it appears that my "fix" seems to last about a year each time. As you can see in my #17 post in this thread, it was almost exactly a year ago when I had to redo it the 1st time. The other week, I got the condensation in the driver's side and then last week the passenger’s side. So, I took them off and redid what I described in my original post (#1). The one thing I did differently this time was I put 3 silica gel desiccant packets in each headlight this time. Pretty soon I'm gonna have the whole damn headlight completely packed with the ****!....it will probably cause a f'ing fire! It’s so aggravating that I need to do something like this. Soooooooooo many quality issues on my 1st Ram truck. I’m starting to eye the new 2017 Ford Raptor!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I wonder if it's the seasonal changes... hot/cold/hot causing the silica packets to absorb all they can and then be useless. I know around the cold/warm and warm/cold times in NJ we get like a 50*F swing from day to night and back and it looks like it rained outside but it's just condensation. I installed a supercharger and had one of these nights and the tool steel impeller but was rusted the next day due to all the condensation dropping off the car. I would think the silica packets would be able to handle that 1 time before being used up.

Maybe drilling a decent size hole in the back that's somewhat covered would help more as it's gotta be a temp difference issue.

Btw the raptors have a ton of back seat room. My brother was looking at one and test drove it with him but it was slow even with the big motor. Now the new raptors only come with the eco boost V6 lol no thanks. He ultimately decided on a gmc Serria Denali with the 6.2L. Also u can't lease the raptor... finance only so the payments are pretty high.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it must be the seasonal changes, but I'm able to get through the Spring without issues. It's just this time every year. I would be afraid that drilling a hole in the back would just allow dirt (dust) in too much and more moisture than I would want in there.

I'm not brand loyal at all. I just buy what I like at that time and with all of the issues I've had with my Ram, it's gonna be very hard to justify getting another one. I hear ya on the Raptor. I had a 2013 F150 with an Ecoboost and that truck was crazy quick. The Ecoboost that comes on the Raptor is the "high output" version attached to a 10 speed transmission. It's pushing over 450 hp...more then the old 6.2 V8 the previous Raptor had in it. Anyway, like you said, it's gonna be very expensive. All the dealers around here have them loaded up with options and not one of them is under $60k. I bet you they don't move too much from the sticker price either.

Vncnz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 sport did it leave the stealership with 6 miles on it ********

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’d like to share my experience with this phenomenon.

I’ve had 3 sets of lights. Chrome OEM’s stock, black OEM’s retrofitted and TYC’s retrofitted.

Every single set has had condensation. I’ve tried sealing them with a bead of silicone and I even had one set reopened and re-sealed 3 times and they just kept getting condensation.

My final set was done by retro shop (they do the best work for Rams I’ve seen if you’re in the market for some sick headlights) and I talked to Jeremy and he has said to keep an eye on my new set and if it continues to fog up more vents need to be added to the bottom of the headlights.

I think for anyone that has this issue you need to understand it is most definitely a design flaw from the factory as I’ve had no relief despite them being stock or retros, OEM or aftermarket it’s the same problem.

I’m curious, has anyone tried adding vents to help with the condensation problem? It makes sense to me that the condensation seems to be entering the vents fine but are having trouble leaving them and it sticks around mainly at the bottom of our lights where the LEDs are and ventilating them properly would probably solve this problem once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 quad headlights do this too. Only 4k miles on the truck. I just pretend to not notice the condensation. I always drive with me headlights on, so it seems to help evaporate the moisture.

Definitely will replace them with a true sealed unit, if anyone knows of one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat