Coolant leak!! NEED HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mblake08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys,
ive been scrolling thru page after page trying to find the same problem not only on this forum but other RAM forums. and with no no luck.
okm heres whats going on. i have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 motor. every 2-3 days i need to put about a 3/4 to a full gallon of coolant in my truck. my oil looks good, my filler neck unlike others with this motor is perfectly clean. i was misfiring only on cylinder 2 which turned me towards head gasket. i checked the plug and the ceramic on the plug was broke. i replaced the plug and it ran fine. now its miss firing on 3 and 7 and im about to pull those plugs when i get off work. i have an appointment for my head gaskets to get replaced and heads checked for $1400 next weekend. but i dont wanna do it if its not the gaskets. i ran a block tester on the radiator and it turned the fluid green which is a slight head gasket leak. yellow being the worst possible leak. with me losing a gallon every few days id say that is not a slight leak it should be a quite large one. but i have ran the test serveal times and same thing everytime. if anyone has input please help me. any idea what to check. i think tomorrow im gonna buy all new hoses and clamps, thermosat, thermo housing and seal. i hate to just throw parts at it but idk wut it can be. my mechanic thinks possibly head gasket while my buddy who works for kokosing doesnt think its a head gasket since my oil and fill look good and dont smell like it. please anyone help!!!!

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1400 to me seems a little hight for just a gasket change. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

mblake08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks. 1400 is the price of the heads checked labour and parts for everything

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Well I know my friend who owns a dodge 4.7 ram a well had a leak in his radiator underneath it on the driver side plastic collector tank on the side of the radiator... it was in a spot he could see without looking underneath the truck since there was no sign of radiator fluid being spit all over the engine bay since it was spitting straight down to the ground. It started small and grew exponentially until he literally drove a mile home from work and used up an entire gallon of water... In the morning poured in about 2 gallons of water and by the time he got to work that day he needed another 2 gallons of water... Replaced the radiator, hoses and thermostat and hasnt had an issue at all since

I have a minor crack in the same general area wich I sealed with silicon for the time being unroll I need to replace the radiator

Dunno if this helps solve the entire problem or not

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mblake08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks LS5DodgeRam

i dont think mine is there. just because ive literally laid under my truck just staring at everything looking for any signs of a leak. im buying some leak detector from napa tomorrow that will glow when some kinda light is shined on it. its my best bet with out just replaces every hose and clamp then rad. i hate to just throw parts at this thing

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
A radiator pressure tester would solve all of your problems and pinpoint your leak.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You have done the test that I would do. Since there is only one indication, it looks like you either go with it or wait which doesn't cost anything and see what more develops. Good luck..

rbatshon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Rumble Bee 2004 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess is that you have a cracked head,,,,,,,,2 options 1-bite the bullet and start working on your truck which will cost you a lot or 2- use a good brand of engine block sealer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54