Cost to have the differential and transfer case oil changed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedDwg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 with 6 speed manual. Independent shop just did transmission, transfer case and differentials for $416.00 including all parts, labor and taxes.

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This past spring I had a local garage, that I trust, change all the driveline fluids. This included front and rear diff, trans case, transmission, and brakes. He flushed the transmission using one of the bladder machines so the torque converter was also flushed, with synthetic fluid. Total cost was just under $900.

Rod Powell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I have a 2020 1500 Ram with Hemi … it has been trouble free and has 67K miles. I was having the oil changed at a dealer last week and they suggested having the oil changed in the differentials and transfer case. The price they quoted me was $900. That seems high to me … what is a fair price for this service?
Just had my 2017 Laramie 4x4 done, front and rear differential and transfer case, 67,000 miles, done at a local shop.
Total was $450.00,including OEM Mopar fluids, and a tube of Shudder Fixx in the transmission.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have a 2020 1500 Ram with Hemi … it has been trouble free and has 67K miles. I was having the oil changed at a dealer last week and they suggested having the oil changed in the differentials and transfer case. The price they quoted me was $900. That seems high to me … what is a fair price for this service?
I has both axles transfer case and trans filter and fluid and it came to $1.200. Not at the dealer

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use 4 ramps. One for each wheel. Obviously. Put truck in 4 wheel LOW and slowly up the ramps. A spotter is helpful. High enough to change fluids. I use this method for oil changes also. Have fun. I always use synthetic fluids also.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I use 4 ramps. One for each wheel. Obviously. Put truck in 4 wheel LOW and slowly up the ramps. A spotter is helpful. High enough to change fluids. I use this method for oil changes also. Have fun. I always use synthetic fluids also.
ha ha ha, you would laugh at me. I have sloped drive way, so i pull out of the driveway enough so the truck will level, leaves a nice big gap under it. Changed trans, diffs, TC & oil. pulled back in and swapped out the fuel filters. I think it was about $1200 for all fluids / filters. Mind you $450 alone was the new deep sump (w/drain plug) pan i added. Work is slow, so my labor is cheaper now.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 2019 Ram Classic 4x4 with Hemi 5.7 with 53,000 miles and wanted thoughts on using the Felpro reusable gasket and any advice on the procedure. When I take a tight turn from a stop the rear differential will occasionally make a slight groan. The dealer quoted me $350 to change the rear differential fluid, can't imagine the cost of including the transfer and front differential but if I extrapolate then probably $1,000+ ($350x3) plus tax. I have the extended factory warranty that goes 7 years and 125K, I want to protect and document so if something fails (my last Ram's differential/pinion bearing went out) there is a minimal hassle. I'm gong to probably change it myself and will first purchase the "official" service manual (https://diyrepairmanuals.com/produc...k-1500-classic-shop-service-repair-manual-cd/) and this reusable "FEL-PRO RDS 55073 Axle Hsg. Cover or Diff. Seal" gasket from Amazon, I've used the Spicer one on my last differential and it was great (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2AMW...TDALIO9M&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it).

Attachments

• 20230831_133249.jpg
    20230831_133249.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 71D57J0kJeL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71D57J0kJeL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't have to remove the cover to change the rear diff oil, just use the drain plug, check the oil for metal and if good put the drain plug back in and fill via the fill plug.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2019 Ram Classic 4x4 with Hemi 5.7 with 53,000 miles and wanted thoughts on using the Felpro reusable gasket and any advice on the procedure. When I take a tight turn from a stop the rear differential will occasionally make a slight groan. The dealer quoted me $350 to change the rear differential fluid, can't imagine the cost of including the transfer and front differential but if I extrapolate then probably $1,000+ ($350x3) plus tax. I have the extended factory warranty that goes 7 years and 125K, I want to protect and document so if something fails (my last Ram's differential/pinion bearing went out) there is a minimal hassle. I'm gong to probably change it myself and will first purchase the "official" service manual (https://diyrepairmanuals.com/produc...k-1500-classic-shop-service-repair-manual-cd/) and this reusable "FEL-PRO RDS 55073 Axle Hsg. Cover or Diff. Seal" gasket from Amazon, I've used the Spicer one on my last differential and it was great (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2AMW...TDALIO9M&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it).
I would NOT do this if you want to keep your service contract intact with minimum hassle - they will instantly know that someone has been in the differential and probably deny coverage.
Either have a Ram dealer do it OR just drain and fill - removing the cover is an instant tell.
Just my opinion.

I would question their $350 and ask why it's so much for a drain and fill? There's no need to remove the cover for normal gear oil change. Now if there's an issue, then the cover has to come off and at that point, the $100 deductible would be a less expensive option.

For your groan, I would just drain and fill (I prefer Redline gear oil) OR get a bottle of the Mopar additive for rear limited slip differentials - if you have a rear limited slip and a groan when turning, either of the above usually will resolve it.