Front and rear axle and transfer case oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those had to be some of the easiest jobs ever. I started with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, and 2 quarts of Ravenol BW44 which I got from Blauparts. The fill and drain plugs are easy to get to. FYI, you'll need an 8 mm hex socket, a 14 mm hex socket, and a 3/8" socket wrench with an extension.

I drove to the store with 4WD AUTO engaged to get the front differential fluid warmed up when I bought the gear oil. Park it level.

Rear - Piece of cake. Roll under the rear end, use the 8 mm hex to unscrew the fill plug on the right side of the differential first, then use the 14 mm to unscrew the drain plug on the right side. I put some Permatex thread sealer on the threads of the drain plug, then tightened until it's snug. I used a hand pump and 3 bottles of gear oil. Slow going with the hand pump, but fill until it runs out of the fill hole. Put some thread sealer on the fill plug, snug it down.

Front - Same procedure, fill and drain are on the front side of the differential. 8 mm for both the fill and drain. Took about 1.5 quarts.

Transfer case - Went at it from the driver's side. Use the 3/8" socket wrench for the fill and drain plug. I needed the extension to get to the fill plug as the exhaust pipe was in the way. Ravenol's bottles have a nifty spout that makes it very easy to fill the transfer case. Took just shy of two bottles.

All told, about an hour to do all of them. :cool: