Crack in bed floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
Hello everyone. Had a problem with my truck and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. First off I have a 2013 Ram 1500, big horn, crew cab 4x4, hemi, 8 speed. I just got back from vacation and was at a beach. There was some sand in the bed of my truck and i didn't want it to scratch up all the paint amd lead to rust later so I removed the bed mat and hidden under it i found a 1/4" by 18 inch gap in between the drivers side fender panel and the bed floor. There is a gap on the passenger side also but only about 3 inches long and 1/16 wide. I took it to the dealer where I purchased the truck and they looked at me like I was nuts and thought I did the damage myself or on purpose. The truck has never been in an accident or overloaded and I have owned it since it had 8 miles. It has 26,000 now. The dealer said they would submit a claim to Ram but wasn't sure what would happen.

Attachments

• 451.jpg
    451.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 167

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a thread on the forums here, but I can't find it. If I remember what was said, this IS normal, as it seems to be a drainage gap to allow water to drain, by design.

OP
OP

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
Thanks crazy_luck For the feedback. The dealer said he had never seen it before... there are gaps in the front corners and a gap dead center of the bed against the cab area. These look different and after I left the dealer I looked at the new trucks and they were not like this.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 14 has gaps, Perhaps not that large/long, but gaps nonetheless

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
that doesn't look right though since there isn't any paint on the edges..imo not supposed to be there lol

OP
OP

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
I will post what the dealer says. They said to give it a couple days. If it's not on every truck I don't feel it should be there

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 14 has a crack similar to that plus the ones in the corners up by the cab and the one in the center up by the cab. I think the 3 by the cab are for drainage and i had the truck done by Line X and it filled in the others. Didn't look like anything to be concerned about to me.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me orient the picture properly to what I think the OP is talking about. If this is correct then no it is not normal.
d91dcf4eadd28eef8fe4402f752302ba.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for a minimumaly used truck.. it's not supposed to look like that.. we have f150"s at work and they are all way over loaded.. by 60k miles all of our beds have big rips in them. it has prolly been like that ever since u bought it.. just been hiding under the bed mat.

OP
OP

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
You are correct jadocs, the picture was sideways

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
That's fairly common on these trucks. Mine has a gap on both sides although not that big but I have a spray on liner that fills it in somewhat. I don't think it was designed to be their as their are drainage holes at the front of the bed but it seems that a lot of trucks have them from brand new.

Last edited:

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
What you have is deffinitely not drainage holes or gaps. It looks like the welds that are done at factory are coming a part. The truck bed panel is sepparating from the floor of the truck bed should be under warranty beings it is a 2013 and only 26000 miles. Need to have them weld the panel back to the bed and seal it up. My advise is get rid of the bed rug or mat and get line X spray on liner protectant I have had it done to both my ram trucks my 08 quad and now my 14 crew 2500 6.4l 4x4. Love the stuff lifetime warranty will not break or chip and I dropped concrete blocks and bricks on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A

OP
OP

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
I was thinking about getting a spray in liner anyways. If they don't fix it and can guarantee the bed strength is not compromised I will if I keep it. It bothers me knowing it's there now. It may have been there the whole time I don't really know. I looked the truck over pretty well before I bought it but I can't say I looked the the bed floor.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey 2013,

Your truck is still under warrantee right? You know what I would do? I would call ram customer service and send them the pictures and ask them what they are going to do about this defect. Clean your bed and send them pictures. If they try and tell you that you overloaded it, tell them if you did it wouldn't look brand new (like it is) it would definitely be showing some kind of damage other than the crack.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's definitely NOT right.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks like it's separating--make Chrysler fix it as you haven't abused it in any way.

OP
OP

2013bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
Jadocs, that was the route taken. The dealer handled it for me so far. They took pictures of the bed and put it on a lift and took pictures under the truck to show there hasn't been any abuse. So far there hasn't been any response. per the dealer he said they might replace the bed or have it taken to a body shop to have all the welds cut so the panels can be realigned and welded. My problem with this is will it show up on car fax as body damage...? It wasn't wrecked or abused and will be warranty. It's all speculation at this point as there isn't any news from Ram yet.