Crazy Coolant temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 02 4.7 that I bought New. Now 176 K and it still runs like a striped ape. Problem !! 3 years ago I did a preventative maintenance. I replaced the complete timing sets chains, sprockets and guides (Cloyes) along with a new water pump. It runs great as usual, Since then I have replaced everything Radiator, clutch fan, Another water pump. This time Delco premium. All hoses and belts.
Problem?? Drive easy to normal it stays at the middle mark on the guage.! Shove your foot into it and clean out the cobwebs and the temp guage will be in the cold mark. The heater will blow cold air until the temperature comes back up to where it’s supposed to be.
No it doesn’t use any oil or coolant period. No head gasket leaking it been tested multiple times. It doesn’t use a drop of oil or coolant in 3,000 miles.
What’s the problem???

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thermostat must not be closing if its letting it get that cold. I would assume you replaced the thermostat when you did everything else?

OP
OP
D

Daniel J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over the past two years I’ve replaced the thermostat 4 times, with the Stant premium with the small vent hole.
It will warm up normally and stay in the middle of the guage as new. It’s only when I nail it in passing another car will the temperature drop. And even in Hot weather, it will blow cold air out of the vents with the heater set to max heat. When the engine temperature comes up the vent air heats up also.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 02 4.7 that I bought New. Now 176 K and it still runs like a striped ape. Problem !! 3 years ago I did a preventative maintenance. I replaced the complete timing sets chains, sprockets and guides (Cloyes) along with a new water pump. It runs great as usual, Since then I have replaced everything Radiator, clutch fan, Another water pump. This time Delco premium. All hoses and belts.
Problem?? Drive easy to normal it stays at the middle mark on the guage.! Shove your foot into it and clean out the cobwebs and the temp guage will be in the cold mark. The heater will blow cold air until the temperature comes back up to where it’s supposed to be.
No it doesn’t use any oil or coolant period. No head gasket leaking it been tested multiple times. It doesn’t use a drop of oil or coolant in 3,000 miles.
What’s the problem???
Well, you pretty much summed it up with the statement that you used an aftermarket t-stat. Go get a genuine MOPAR cap AND t-stat... emphasis on BOTH items FROM the DEALER, NOT Amazon!

Maybe even get a MOPAR water pump and convert that aftermarket pump to a door stop!