Crazy Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
So, this is how the story goes...I was sittin with my truck idlin, adjusting the illumination and brightness on my Kenwood headunit, went to open my passenger side window and noticed it wouldnt work. Driver side wont open either. Tried my interior ceiling light, wont work. I also have one speaker that works, but sometimes goes on and off when it wants to..which would be the right rear.

Basically, my power locks, power windows, speakers (except the right rear), and interior overhead light will not work and the lights on my window and lock switches on the door do not light up. The glove box light works, all dash lights work, and I checked the fuses in the dash and under the hood and they appear to be fine. Anybody have any ideas?!? Short somewhere, maybe a ground???

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the wiring diagram for the windows and speakers and interior light
it doesn't look like they share the same ground. Have you tried taking the door window switch out and checking it for broken pieces. I had two fords and both had a similar problem.
Being made of crap the plastic retainer clips would break after a year. When this would happen the plugs would not make a good connection and nothing would work. If I put pressure on the clips to hold it in everything was fine.

From there you will need to use a multi-meter to start checking for voltage.

I hope you have patience, this may take awhile.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Looking at the wiring diagram for the windows and speakers and interior light
it doesn't look like they share the same ground. Have you tried taking the door window switch out and checking it for broken pieces. I had two fords and both had a similar problem.
Being made of crap the plastic retainer clips would break after a year. When this would happen the plugs would not make a good connection and nothing would work. If I put pressure on the clips to hold it in everything was fine.

From there you will need to use a multi-meter to start checking for voltage.

I hope you have patience, this may take awhile.
Thanks for the reply, but I went out there just before and pulled every fuse in the dash, and checked every fuse under the hood. They were all good. Then i pulled out my headunit thinkin maybe the electrical tape on one of the wires came off and two wires were touching....didnt find anything wrong there either. Then I went under the dash by the pedals and pushed on the white electrical block with the bolt in it, and now everything works as it should :)

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply, but I went out there just before and pulled every fuse in the dash, and checked every fuse under the hood. They were all good. Then i pulled out my headunit thinkin maybe the electrical tape on one of the wires came off and two wires were touching....didnt find anything wrong there either. Then I went under the dash by the pedals and pushed on the white electrical block with the bolt in it, and now everything works as it should :)

Sweet. Nothing like an easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99