Cummins $1.6 billion dollar fine!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my third ABS module replaced on Monday in Tallahassee Florida on my 2018 Ram 3500, and while they had the truck they did the new 67A recall on it. The service advisor told me it was just an engine update and that it was required.

I just learned tonight that Cummins got fined over a Billion dollars for installing a “defeat” device on almost a million 6.7L engines! It looks to me like 67A is related to the fine. It is an update to the emission control software. I hope performance is not going to be negatively affected, but it probably will be. We shall see.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
OP
OP
M

MacAttack65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, yes I am concerned. They said it was just an ecm update for the engine and that it had to be done. The video link you sent is the one I watched earlier tonight that made me question what recall was just done on my truck.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
For those that don't know,
On the RAM Connect App I'm able to download this recall. The wierd thing is its in French from Canada. I translated an excerpt of it below and included the original screen shot of that portion.

CAMPAIGN 67A
DIESEL ENGINE CALIBRATION
Dear vehicle owner,
FCA CANADA INC. NOTED THAT SOME TRUCKS
RAM 2500 AND RAM 3500 2013 TO 2018 EQUIPPED WITH A
CUMMINS 6.7L TURBO DIESEL ENGINE REQUIRES
A MODIFICATION TO THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE
ANTI POLLUTION.
Your vehicle needs to be repaired for the following reasons:
Your vehicle's engine control module software
needs to be updated with improved calibration for
better emissions control performance.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
cause you and we thank you for the attention you
will bring to this very important question.
FCA Canada Inc.
National Director, After-Sales Service and Parts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222_220837_PDF Extra.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_220837_PDF Extra.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those that don't know,
On the RAM Connect App I'm able to download this recall. The wierd thing is its in French from Canada. I translated an exert of it below and included the original screen shot of that portion.

CAMPAIGN 67A
DIESEL ENGINE CALIBRATION
Dear vehicle owner,
FCA CANADA INC. NOTED THAT SOME TRUCKS
RAM 2500 AND RAM 3500 2013 TO 2018 EQUIPPED WITH A
CUMMINS 6.7L TURBO DIESEL ENGINE REQUIRES
A MODIFICATION TO THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE
ANTI POLLUTION.
Your vehicle needs to be repaired for the following reasons:
Your vehicle's engine control module software
needs to be updated with improved calibration for
better emissions control performance.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
cause you and we thank you for the attention you
will bring to this very important question.
FCA Canada Inc.
National Director, After-Sales Service and Parts
Are you going to comply?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting to see where this goes. Remember the VW diesel fiasco and VW was buying them back. They would resell at crazy discount.

My sister bought one of the buybacks with under 15k miles for some stupid dirt money, like $8.5k if I recall correctly, and has had zero problems with it and loves the that little diesel thing.

If they did something like that because of cummins engine losing advertised performance, I would buy one in a heart beat.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**** the clean air act! It's just a BS tax disguised as helping the environment.

They are trying to come after all of us, the wording is such that if your vehicle has a vin number, you can't modify it. Period.

Look up the fines they dished out to guys like JH diesel and PFI speed. Long story short, they fined these guys six figure numbers. But if they just paid 10% they would drop the fines. What choice do you have at that point?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I like (not really) how for the California folks, they threaten you with the
If you don't comply it will be considered lack of maintenance and void your emissions warranty. Rediculous.
California goes even further and will check to see if recall has been performed and if not the vehicle can't have the registration renewed.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I saw this announcement last night on TFL but I can't find any detailed information. Has anyone seen anything with details? I'm curious just what is the issue, are emissions affected all the time, or just when under a heavy load? What is the fix? They used the words "installed a defeat device" which makes it sound mechanical.

I've not received any recall letter and my VIN shows no open recalls. As I understand it, the issue is with Cummins and TFL did not seem to think RAM knew about it.

I guess as time passes we will learn more.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
They used the words "installed a defeat device" which makes it sound mechanical.
The phrasing "defeat device" is in reference to a programming routine that is intended as you mentioned to protect the engine under certain parameters. They used the same terminology with the EcoDiesel, VW, etc.
From what I understand is Cummins supplys the engine with the emissions along with the programming to run it all, that why Ram may not have "known" anything was "defeated".

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just another attempt by the EPA to "cancel" diesel motors. They can't openly put them out of business and force people to battery powered vehicles but they will do it by a million cuts as they say.

The government is out of control.....

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I saw this announcement last night on TFL but I can't find any detailed information. Has anyone seen anything with details? I'm curious just what is the issue, are emissions affected all the time, or just when under a heavy load? What is the fix? They used the words "installed a defeat device" which makes it sound mechanical.

I've not received any recall letter and my VIN shows no open recalls. As I understand it, the issue is with Cummins and TFL did not seem to think RAM knew about it.

I guess as time passes we will learn more.

RAM will "update" the PCM by reprogramming it with the new strategies to be compliant.
If you log in on the RAM site or the RamConnect App and look under recalls that is where I found it. I have not been officially notified but it is there although it is a Canadian version of the recall and written in French. Go figure lol.
It's called FCA Campaign 67A.
SEE POSTS #6 & 10.

To add, I just checked Recalls again and now it has been updated with the correct .pdf file as of 1203 hrs this morning.

Screenshot_20231223_072747_PDF Extra.jpg

Last edited: