Cypress Hills 2014 (Pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Whew. We're back and packed away. We spent two weeks up in the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park in some of the most gorgeous RV scenery you could ask for. Those canucks on the forum will likely know it, for those that don't- it's a little slice of heaven in the bald Canadian prairies. For those that may be interested- Park Site here they have a spectacular family friendly environment packed with activities for kids and adults- horseback tours, zipline canopy tours, hikes, nature education, etc. Really a must see for anyone with kids. The park has playgrounds dotted all over, store, gas bar, a nice little stocked pond for fishing (Loch Leven) and wonderful trails for hiking. It is a stones throw away from Fort Walsh Historic Site, Cypress Lake and the Cypress Hills Winery- which was Mom and Dad's favorite part- and the little one was so excited that they had wild hot dogs! See the attached pic... cat tails. the wildlife in the park is amazing- moose walking through our site, deer, and so on. Cypress Hills also boasts the highest density cougar population (mountain lions or pumas to you south-of-the-border folk) in North America. We didn't see a single one this trip through, but being a hunter- I knew full well that even though we didn't see any, about 10 or so saw us ;)

Enough for the infomercial, on to the details. Packed up heavy for two weeks- empty tanks, full truck. Everything was packed into the trailer except bodies. Stopped at the scale on the way out.

FA: 3710
RA: 4080
Total GVW for the truck: 7790
Didn't weigh the trailer.

The trip there was 32C (about 90F) and holding, a bit of a breeze (about 30km/h) and we set the cruise at 105Km/h and enjoyed the drive. I was really happy with how the whole setup handles the excess weight. Never once did I feel like I was in a sketchy spot, we were passed by many a semi and passed many (even the dual 53' units) and they barely made the rig twitch. Our temperatures stayed in the normal operating range the whole trip. In fact, the only time we had any noticeable increase was when we were getting to the park and were climbing the hills. Long grades that slowly worked their way up. At the top, the fans *finally* decided it was time to kick into high. We made the entire trip with the A/C blasting since it was pretty toasty outside. This day was consumed by getting there and unpacking and setting up.

Day two was nothing special. We sat around the site with our in-laws who came up from the farm south (that's his GM in the photo) and put a pretty big dent in the *** supply. The day was cooling down, and a storm was predicted. We never saw the storm that day, it actually hit the next day- and it was a monster. The in-laws left just prior to the storm to beat it home. Unfortunately when they got there, sitting right in the approach to their farm yard were the storm chasers, so they immediately knew that things were going to turn ugly. And it sure did. Unfortunately, they lost 90-100% of their existing crops, and since there were so many issues shipping last years harvest, they had many, many bushels in bags in the fields that were shredded by hail that was as big as a silver dollar and about 3 inches long- like little knives. It punctured the stucco on their farm house, blew out windows, trashed shingles, destroyed irrigation lines and pummeled their farm equipment including a brand new, just unloaded New Holland. They hadn't even attached the new Honey Bee header yet. We caught the edge of it in the park. Pea to nickle sized hail in the middle of the night put a hurt on the vent covers and the A/C cover. We bolted out at 1:30AM to take in the awning and I caught one on the top of my toe since I was barefoot and it's still black and blue. Luckily I am a redneck, so I always have a healthy supply of Gorilla tape in the toolbox. All vent covers patched up. Thankfully, I stocked up on tape just before we headed out as my wife's friends came out on friday and in the wind managed to have both of their vent covers torn completely off the trailer. Two huge gaping holes to the sky. Not even sure how they did it- left them open maybe? Anyways, covered them right up and they were water tight. He had a hell of a time getting into the hills- he was pulling a trailer that grossed more than mine with a little Dakota 4.7L. Guess his temp gauge hovered right under the red almost the whole trip, and Cypress was just a stop off on their way to Roblin, MB. He had a hell of a drive ahead of him.

The following two days were nothing but wind and rain. We were all crammed in that little camper for two days solid waiting for it to pass. A lot of games of cribbage were played and we exhausted our two week supply of ***... by the 4th day. The first Friday night, we actually had to kick the furnace in- it dipped to 6C (43F) that night, and it was chilly because it was so damp out.

The next week was beautiful all week, always high 20's to low 30's. Perfect for outdoor activities. The kids went horseback riding, we did the Haunted Places hike at dusk (there are some REALLY spooky areas of that forest- it was great), a zipline tour of the canopy cover, and lots of swimming, fishing and hiking. Mom and Dad didn't do the zipline tours- quite frankly I am terrified of heights and could barely watch the kids climb the rope ladder to the platform, but sure enough, they scrambled right up there. The attached photo shows my middle and youngest on their way up. She is only 10, and Big Hoss is 15- they had a blast. The eldest was the last up the ladder- she really had to convince herself to do it. Pretty much 95% of the forest is Lodge Pole Pine, so the canopy cover is gorgeoous. We also went out to Bald Butte and Lookout Point this week- and if any of you ever make it out to Cypress, Lookout Point is a MUST see after dark on a clear night with lots of stars out. You can see why in the attached photos. It is like a table top in the middle of the prairie- it's the highest elevation in Saskatchewan, and you can see for 100KM (60 miles) on a clear day. There is also a drop in observatory there.

Trip home- just as uneventful as the trip there. Almost identical conditions except a little hotter (34C or about 93F). Set the cruise again and enjoyed the trip home. According the the EVIC, my average fuel consumption on the highway was 16L/100KM on the flat runs- so either we did really well, or that thing is completely out of whack. Quick pass over the scales pulling in:

FA: 3718lbs
RA: 4158lbs
Total GVW of truck: 7876

Notice the weight increase on the way home? We picked up an extra body (the youngest) and her associated toys, luggage and bicycle. She came from the farm with the in-laws where she had been staying the week prior. We also had 6 garbage bags of empy bottles in the box, with the bed extender. I didn't even bother trying to play weight cop. I have learned my lesson with that.

Super trip, lots of fun, now we're exhausted. The truck handled it like a champ, I am completely impressed by how well it handled the carrying weight after the modifications I have made. I can honestly say, even though the F150 was a heavier truck, I never felt as comfortable or in control as I do in the Ram. It was an enjoyable ride- we were able to crank the A/C and the tunes and just sit back and relax. Yeah, I get it- I was over the weight sticker. Sure would be nice to have a 2500, but for the whole 2 or 3 times a year we pull, can't do it. This is likely our last season with all of them in the truck with us. The two older kids already plan on driving themselves next year so they can go out with their friends that are there, so it will just me me and momma bear and the youngest.

Attachments

• 20140721_204016.jpg
    20140721_204016.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140726_092856.jpg
    20140726_092856.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20140729_124806.jpg
    20140729_124806.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140729_133016.jpg
    20140729_133016.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140729_160539.jpg
    20140729_160539.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Few more pics...

Attachments

• 20140730_144528.jpg
    20140730_144528.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20140730_153330.jpg
    20140730_153330.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20140730_155204_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140730_155204_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah it was a blast audio. My wifes cousin teaches the swimming lessons there, so we hung around the pool A LOT. It was a godsend on some of those smoldering days.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I was out to Pine Lodge on May 24. It had been a couple years since we been there. Had a nice quiet time as it seemed not everyone who reserved showed up and I don't drink much anyhow (lol) so the liqour Ban was OK with me. The two lane Hwy leading up to the Park from Maple Creek gets pretty Rough. My new Trailer is a bit lighter than my last one, anyhow with my truck having a little too HD rear set-up i ended up blowing all the fluid out of my Monroe load leveller shocks (1year old) and got two stress cracks up the front of my 2014 trailer in the Gel Coated Nose Piece. My fault for having too much pride to keep the speed up climbing those hills. Trailer been at the BodyShop Dealer since but should be ready to go next week all under New Warranty. I repaced the shocks with Rancho's to match the front. Truck is level and not so stiff now with the rear sway and 4/1 leafs. Read all your Story and sounds like an adventure but most of all you being happy with the new Ram. I will be at Eagle Valley in a few weeks just have to finish up new mods on the Ol Girl. Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I stayed at Pine Lodge last year a few times. I enjoyed that spot- not sure why everyone fights for Rainbow and Terrace- they are over crowded and a pain in the ass to get around. We were in Warlodge this year. Probably my favorite.