Looking at 5th gen trucks, trading my 2014, questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My current truck, 2014 express quad cab 5.7 4wd, is getting a little older (over 100K miles) and I've got the itch to trade. I have swapped the factory stereo for a kenwood unit with nav/gps apple/android, new door speakers and dash as well, installed the steering wheel mounted controls as well as the factory brake controller. My truck is the smaller 4 door cab with the larger bed and I also have a topper on the bed that keeps my dogs and bikes safe when they are back there. My wife and I even slept back there one year on a road trip to Moab from WV when wwe got stuck in a snow storm in CO. Some recent road trips have shown me that the back seat in my truck isn't great for adults. Fine for my 16 year old but not great for grandma and grandpa.

I like my tuck and at the time it was a huge help and improvement to the previous vehicle. Last year I bought a dual axle car trailer to tow our wrangler to off road parks and to further away destinations. So far we have taken it to Moab and Wind Rock in Tennessee.

With all that said I am shopping for a 2020+ rebel. I like the look and most of the rebels come with almost all the options I want. Things like the 3.92 gears and locking rear axle are a huge help when towing and possibly off roading to backwoods camping spots.

I'm looking to stay below the $50K mark and that seems pretty reasonable with the amount of trucks I can find in a 200 mile radius on autotrader. I'm thinking with my trucks condition and milage I can get between $11-14K trade so that brings the amount financed below $40K and makes the payments reasonable.

The trucks I'm finding are over the 3 year 36K mile warranty and I'm a little nervous about the electronics gremlins that come with the larger stereos (the 12" version) and added complexity of the E-torque system.

What would be your route for warranty on a truck similar to what I'm looking at? I'm more than capable to do any work needed but some of these issues I read about can't be fixed with alpha OBD or a home code scanner. Especially concerning is the fact that there are no aftermarket replacements for the head units in the 5th gen trucks.

Thanks for any info and reading my BS!

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
You might want to move up one year so you can get at least a year of factory warranty. Maybe add 5k. Maybe expand your search out to 500mi, and esp include FB Marketplace.

Word from the wisdom tooth....I needed a new warranty tranny in my 2016 Longhorn at 59.9k, and my 2024 Laramie with 1000 mi has an intermittent 12" display. They are great trucks but you have to be careful.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I test drove the rebel last year while looking at several other trims. I likes the look of the rebel, and its stance. Unfortunately, I thought it rode very harsh, but thats the off road routine showing thru. So I ended up with an HD, which believe it or not rode better IMO, and no etorque!

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another vote for moving to a newer model to get some factory warranty.

If you are going to get a plan to support it long term consider adding in 3rd party companies in you analysis. There have been some great discussions on here about the groups that offer MOPAR ones for good deals, search for those threads.

Good luck

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
My current truck, 2014 express quad cab 5.7 4wd, is getting a little older (over 100K miles) and I've got the itch to trade. I have swapped the factory stereo for a kenwood unit with nav/gps apple/android, new door speakers and dash as well, installed the steering wheel mounted controls as well as the factory brake controller. My truck is the smaller 4 door cab with the larger bed and I also have a topper on the bed that keeps my dogs and bikes safe when they are back there. My wife and I even slept back there one year on a road trip to Moab from WV when wwe got stuck in a snow storm in CO. Some recent road trips have shown me that the back seat in my truck isn't great for adults. Fine for my 16 year old but not great for grandma and grandpa.

I like my tuck and at the time it was a huge help and improvement to the previous vehicle. Last year I bought a dual axle car trailer to tow our wrangler to off road parks and to further away destinations. So far we have taken it to Moab and Wind Rock in Tennessee.

With all that said I am shopping for a 2020+ rebel. I like the look and most of the rebels come with almost all the options I want. Things like the 3.92 gears and locking rear axle are a huge help when towing and possibly off roading to backwoods camping spots.

I'm looking to stay below the $50K mark and that seems pretty reasonable with the amount of trucks I can find in a 200 mile radius on autotrader. I'm thinking with my trucks condition and milage I can get between $11-14K trade so that brings the amount financed below $40K and makes the payments reasonable.

The trucks I'm finding are over the 3 year 36K mile warranty and I'm a little nervous about the electronics gremlins that come with the larger stereos (the 12" version) and added complexity of the E-torque system.

What would be your route for warranty on a truck similar to what I'm looking at? I'm more than capable to do any work needed but some of these issues I read about can't be fixed with alpha OBD or a home code scanner. Especially concerning is the fact that there are no aftermarket replacements for the head units in the 5th gen trucks.

Does the Rebel have the “slide/recline rear seat? If not, I’m not sure you’re gaining much in terms of rear seat comfort for the grandparents. Had a 2017 and 2019 Lonestar/Bighorn with the fixed seats. A little more legroom in the 19 but the seat back was still too upright for me.
Currently in a 22 Laramie with the slide recline seats. Difference in comfort level is night and day.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I second rear seat comfort. If you get the right trim they are heated/ventilated recliners. They don’t go back far enough to be a lazy boy but it’s comfy and still upright enough to be helped by the seatbelt in a crash.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I have 21 Rebel. don't have e-torque. I have about 70K KM on it now.

There are issues with UC4. Nothing really major. UC5 is worse. 22 Rebel is UC5
I do a lot off-roading with my Rebel.

You likely could purchase a truck, and get extended warranty, but it's not going to address the UConnect software bugs.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You will be adding a lot of price to your purchase just to get the last bit of basic warranty if that's all you are doing it for.

You can get a used extended warranty from Mopar (MaxCare) as well as a new vehicle MaxCare extended warranty (which is what is usually discussed). They are the same ESP, just bought at different times (before or after the basic warranty expires).

It is pricier than a new vehicle ESP and does not have as many policy purchase options (years, miles, deductible) but could be a lower cost overall depending on how the numbers fall. You'd have to compare the older truck + used vehicle ESP cost vs. the newer truck + new vehicle ESP cost to see which one your wallet likes better. This is assuming that there isn't anything more important drawing you to one more than the other.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357