Dana 44 CAD delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I grew up hearing and have always heard 'Do not run different size tires on an axle '.
As it will spin the spiders constantly at high speed and screw them up.

But Dodge in their infinite wisdom gave us CAD. Making the spiders spin like nuckin futs constantly. Don't run low on oil, you'll cook them.

So I'm looking for a cheap (read free) way to lock my right axle.
Any ideas?
Yes, I found a $40 US kit. But free is better.

Any good reason not to lock my axle?

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Well the most responsible thing would be to get new shafts both 1 piece and then get a free wheeling manual hub conversion. a lot of money to spend on a 44 though.
probably close to $3,000 in parts. haha

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
02 Dana 60 would be my swap.
But... I'm going to take the shift actuator off and weld it into position. Free fix.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Search for a ford pass side axle shaft, and there are much cheaper was to put a part time kit in a 44 and get a true cross over steering as well.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
02 Dana 60 would be my swap.
But... I'm going to take the shift actuator off and weld it into position. Free fix.

Wait so you have this axle to swap in? Or you're doing this to your 44? 02 D60 don't have a CAD IIRC.

Search for a ford pass side axle shaft, and there are much cheaper was to put a part time kit in a 44 and get a true cross over steering as well.

Some solid info here.

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
You don't have to weld it into position. Just take the clips off of the fork and flip the fork around and put the clips back on. It stays in the 4x4position All the time. I did that for awhile. Bam one price axle free. Not even any welding rod lol

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You don't have to weld it into position. Just take the clips off of the fork and flip the fork around and put the clips back on. It stays in the 4x4position All the time. I did that for awhile. Bam one price axle free. Not even any welding rod lol

Interesting. I would just weld it at work, I am a welder.
But your idea is better. It's reversible.

Nobody has said any bad about it yet. May do it this weekend.

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
I had this same question on multiple forums.. Just because theres really no reason I see for it to be there. Seems like chryslers way of trying to fix somthing that aint broken. Well it is now isnt it lol. its almost more common than the 46re needing a rebuild every 40k.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I had this same question on multiple forums.. Just because theres really no reason I see for it to be there. Seems like chryslers way of trying to fix somthing that aint broken. Well it is now isnt it lol. its almost more common than the 46re needing a rebuild every 40k.

Mines not broken and my 46RE has over 275000km (172000miles) on it and still going strong.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum

No problems with mine :shrug:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

Sounds like assumptions and stereotypes from people who dont maintain their ****.

Only problem ive had with the cad is when i was doing **** i shouldnt have been and pressed the vacuum line against the catalytic converter and burned a hole in one of em. Other than fault free and very much used and abused.

Transmissions are actually good if you do a few minor things.
1. Check valve delete
2. Aux cooler
3. Shift kit
4. Minimum of 30k fluid and filter changes with band adjustments.

I'm getting ready to throw over 400whp at my trans with only these things done. MMerc225hp is sitting on an estimated 350ish-whp and his trans is holding up fine from what I'm hearing. I know a guy with nearly 350k on tune Oriskany trans with no rebuilds and it has only cooler and check valve delete and hes been hauling trees and rocks with it since damn near new

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I had this same question on multiple forums.. Just because there's really no reason I see for it to be there. Seems like chrysler's way of trying to fix something that ain't broken. Well it is now isnt it lol. its almost more common than the 46re needing a rebuild every 40k.

In the 19 years I have owned her never a cad problem EVER, and one tranny replacement in 400k/km. Your info source is ****!

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Replaced the CAD on mine when I was resto-modding it (it was the factory original, and all the hoses had dry-rotted). Inner grease seal let go almost right away and plugged it up, soooo... $90, down the drain. icon8.gif

Went the Posi-Lok gizmo after that! Didn't EVEN mess with the whole cable actuator BECAUSE... I'd already gone to MANUAL hubs.

100_0545_zps2da53f9e.jpg
100_0542_zps49eba2f0.jpg

Locked the axle in place, so all I hafta do is lock the hubs, and I got shift-on-the-FLY, baby! Gonna PARTY like it's 1989!!! :naughty:

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
Denial doesnt make it bigger. Lmao. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Dont get me wrong I would take a 46rh all day but the 46re was a mistake. Every vehicle have there flaws the cad, 46re, plenum etc..
I would love to have the manual transmission.
Now my 46rh in my old old truck 750k and only had to rebuild it once. This 46re was rebuilt 60k ago by the po and its shot now at 170k. Im in the process of redbuilding it now. The cad has gone out twice on me I dont know about pos. Look at the millions of threads complaining about these issues.

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
dapepper9 Which shift kit do you recomend?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Denial doesnt make it bigger. Lmao. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Dont get me wrong I would take a 46rh all day but the 46re was a mistake. Every vehicle have there flaws the cad, 46re, plenum etc..
I would love to have the manual transmission.
Now my 46rh in my old old truck 750k and only had to rebuild it once. This 46re was rebuilt 60k ago by the po and its shot now at 170k. Im in the process of redbuilding it now. The cad has gone out twice on me I dont know about pos. Look at the millions of threads complaining about these issues.

46re has the same shortcomings as the 46rh except for governor solenoid is new. Others they fail the same. Read those threads and read up on how well they maintained their ****. Maintenance is everything. I fix jets that were built in the 50s, if we didn't maintain them they would have crashed 45 years ago. Maintenance is key. Stop posting useless ****

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have been on forums since 09 i know what and every problem these trucks have and by the sounds of things u need to sell yours and buy a Ford!

I make between 350 and 425 hp and only on my first tranny and yes its a 46re and no problems with it at 200k/km. As posted maintain your **** and it will last.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
dapepper9 Which shift kit do you recomend?

Transgo jr/sr have great reviews and Lifted01 loves his. Personally, i only have experience with sonnax SureCure and it's absolutely fantastic. Shifts better than new and this thing hasn't been touched in 90k.