Dealer oil change...& "Gas Cap" dash light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well it was oil change time, along with a dash light for "gas cap".

I was planning on doing my own oil change but nothing I tried would turn off the light. Took cap off and put it back on...nope. Swapped with my Jeep's gas cap...nope. Checked the evap box under the truck bed in case I'd hit something on the road...nope. ( I'd broken an evap box on a rock w/ my Jeep. )

Dealer oil change people couldn't fix the light. I've been told it's not a current issue, but a permanent code...stored in the RADIO. That they can't clear! Next full appointment is Thursday. Gotta love technology!

OP
OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
U*P*D*A*T*E
Well after disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours, it seems like the light has gone out. I still have the appointment for Thursday, but will cancel it if the light remains off.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Can they at least make their BS believable? The radio does not store trouble codes. It would be more plausible if they said the BCM had stored the code. I hope you didn't laugh too hard when they told that BS story.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Gas cap light has to be cleared by resetting the PCM. You can clear the evap leak code but it won’t clear the warning, until you do a PCM reset. Disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes will cause the PCM to reset.