Dealer said No for transmission fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Think I had about 108k then, I'm at 183k now. I wanted to do a 2nd drain and fill, but never had a chance to.

Now my work is super slow and hours have been cut, so not sure how I will be able to afford to do it around 200k.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep an eye on Crappy Tires sales,they'll put the weed sprayer on sale ,usually starting in the spring. I think i bought mine for under 15 bucks on sale,but that was several years ago,but i'd hazard a guess it won't be much more then 20 bucks on sale even now.

I wish we had the Canadian tire here in the states. I want to build that sprayer. Why the copper 90's?

For those with a Menards you can get the sprayer for $9.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-29-05-07-20-91_49f34fd34c8737645d11226554140b91.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-29-05-07-20-91_49f34fd34c8737645d11226554140b91.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wish we had the Canadian tire here in the states. I want to build that sprayer. Why the copper 90's?

They're for filling other things.I have diff braces on the wifes Challenger and to get around the rear brace to the fill plug on the rear diff,the copper tubes make it easier

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The prices aren't fabulous at Canadian Tire (CTC) but their weekly sale often has great deals.

You have Menard's, Princess Auto, and Home Depot, just to name a few. Our Home Depot is expensive unless you catch a sale.

Everything costs more up here and in the past few years it seems to have gotten worse.

I hope the Canadian/US $ exchange improves and then for those of us living near a border, we can start buying more less expensive items again.

Maddawg2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2016 1500 Ram Bighorn, 5.7 8 speed trans. 117,000 miles. First post here, I called local dealership for price on tranny fluid and filter change. They ask if I was having problems, I said no. Well they said for my PU the fluid and filter is for Life time, unless there is a problem they won't change it. I said nothing is life time and it ended. How true is this, Life time? I don't haul anything, no slippage, just thought it should be serviced. Thank you.
I have a 2019 ram 1500 and had to replace the pan because the filter is built into it. It's pretty costly if taken to an independent shop let alone a dealer. The independent shop I went to cost me 685 but that was for the pan and fluid for it.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the dealer use is not as busy as the one you go to. Appointments are usually 2 weeks out ever since covid. I heard thats not bad compared to others

Dealer here is always over a month out for anything...they have like 15- 20 bays also.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2019 ram 1500 and had to replace the pan because the filter is built into it. It's pretty costly if taken to an independent shop let alone a dealer. The independent shop I went to cost me 685 but that was for the pan and fluid for it.

$685? I'd take that deal. I paid my dealer $947.10 a couple years ago for the whole job, state tax extra.

Next time I'll buy the pan/filter and fluid myself and start shopping for a place to do the work. A place with windows.
The place I'm using now charges $10 for the motor oil change when I supply everything.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use my homemade transfer pump made from a 1 gallon weed sprayer pump for filling the transmission,it also works good for filling rear diffs etc.
They're cheap and easy to make,and come in handy.

+1 on the sprayer. That's how I've done my last several "filled for life" BS transmission services. That same sprayer fits the wife's Avalon and Honda. I cussed and cussed on the first FFL service I did until I asked "Isn't there a better damn way to do this than trying to squeeze a bottle at some ****-eyed angle losing half of the $hit on the floor???" Yeah..been there, done that.

Heels82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 1500 Ram Bighorn, 5.7 8 speed trans. 117,000 miles. First post here, I called local dealership for price on tranny fluid and filter change. They ask if I was having problems, I said no. Well they said for my PU the fluid and filter is for Life time, unless there is a problem they won't change it. I said nothing is life time and it ended. How true is this, Life time? I don't haul anything, no slippage, just thought it should be serviced. Thank you.
I was inquiring about that very thing on my 2016 5.7 Bighorn during last oil change and my guy said leave it alone unless I was having trouble with it! so far at 110,000 it still operates like a brand new one, but i haven't toad anything with it and I don't abuse it especially since paying for exhaust manifold bolt change out!

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was inquiring about that very thing on my 2016 5.7 Bighorn during last oil change and my guy said leave it alone unless I was having trouble with it! so far at 110,000 it still operates like a brand new one, but i haven't toad anything with it and I don't abuse it especially since paying for exhaust manifold bolt change out!
You're way overdue according to ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission. Change the fluid, you'll notice a difference.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manufacturers play a game. That game is to get you to buy a new vehicle as often as possible without tipping you off to the scam.
70 grand for a new truck is ludicrous, at best, most would agree. That said, in what rapturous world does lifetime product exist, nowadays? Or, for that matter, since when does any complex machinery last a lifetime, EVEN WITH maintenance? Heck, even simple metal fatigue will doom a car or other "durable" good eventually. Why exacerbate this with wanton, intentional neglect?

Oils and coolant have limited ability to withstand repeated stresses of temperature cycles and contaminants.
One doesn't need to be and engineer to know this set of facts.

ZF, Hydramatic, Borg Warner, and all other manufacturers of transmissions know this and NONE of these stand-alone vendors recommend something as short sighted as the notion that trans fluid is "lifetime".

The vehicle dealer would rather sell you a new car than help you enhance it's service life, at least as evidenced by these outrageous recommendations of NOT servicing transmissions, for example.