Dealership Says No Lubricating Front Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good afternoon,

I'm new to the site, but have done several searches and have not found anyone else commenting with the same experience I'm having. I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Hemi in October 2016. I now have 33,000 miles on it and have just had the fourth oil change completed by the dealer. At each oil change I have requested that they lubricate the front driveshaft as per the maintenance schedule and the sticker under the hood. Each time they have told me that the newer trucks like mine do not have a grease fitting on the front driveshaft and that is an error in the manual from older model trucks that was not removed. They also say the sticker under he hood is an error. I've found multiple posts in this forum and others of people who have lubricated the front driveshaft and have posted pictures of the joint, fitting, and required grease needle. Still the dealer says it doesn't have a fitting and doesn't need to be greased.

I did a chat session with Mopar customer service, and they put me on hold while they researched it. They came back and said the same thing. I gave them the link to one of the forums with photos of the fitting and they recommended I take the truck back to the dealer and have them look at what I found online in the forum.

Has anyone else experienced the dealer or Mopar customer service telling them the front driveshaft should not be lubricated? I would gladly take it to another dealer, but there isn't another one in town, so it would require a trip to another town to have them take a look. I certainly want it greased if it's supposed to be, but don't want to push the issue if the dealer is correct.

Thanks for the help!

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might try calling (or stopping by) Ray Norton Tire & Auto there on Bemiss and get their opinion. When I lived in Valdosta I used them for a couple of repairs to my '95 RAM and they seemed very honest (and knowledgeable). Or, you could just "Drive it like you stole it" and make Cass Burch fix your driveshaft if it breaks!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have the same problem at my local Ram dealer. The first time I asked the tech to grease it he didn't know anything about it. He looked like a deer in the headlights. Spoke with the service manager and the same result. Now I do my own. Its a PITA but the only way I will get it done.

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I believe your dealer and Mopar CS. My 2018 did not have a hole to insert grease (defect?), which would make it sealed bearings, it did have the silver, foil-like dimple. I borrowed a light, magnifier thingamajiggy to confirm there was no hole. But, after reading so much about it needing grease, I pierced a hole in the "foil" and pumped grease in there until I saw it come out the other side. A few people thought I was nuts, so I just quit telling them.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good afternoon,

I'm new to the site, but have done several searches and have not found anyone else commenting with the same experience I'm having. I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Hemi in October 2016. I now have 33,000 miles on it and have just had the fourth oil change completed by the dealer. At each oil change I have requested that they lubricate the front driveshaft as per the maintenance schedule and the sticker under the hood. Each time they have told me that the newer trucks like mine do not have a grease fitting on the front driveshaft and that is an error in the manual from older model trucks that was not removed. They also say the sticker under he hood is an error. I've found multiple posts in this forum and others of people who have lubricated the front driveshaft and have posted pictures of the joint, fitting, and required grease needle. Still the dealer says it doesn't have a fitting and doesn't need to be greased.

I did a chat session with Mopar customer service, and they put me on hold while they researched it. They came back and said the same thing. I gave them the link to one of the forums with photos of the fitting and they recommended I take the truck back to the dealer and have them look at what I found online in the forum.

Has anyone else experienced the dealer or Mopar customer service telling them the front driveshaft should not be lubricated? I would gladly take it to another dealer, but there isn't another one in town, so it would require a trip to another town to have them take a look. I certainly want it greased if it's supposed to be, but don't want to push the issue if the dealer is correct.

Thanks for the help!
I have the same truck as you, and I’ve greased mine 3 times so far. IT IS THERE. It’s at the double cardan joint. Take it back to the dealer (yes, the same dealer), and tell them this: “Put the truck up on the rack, and if it’s there, you grease it for free, if it’s not, I’ll pay your shop rate.” IT IS THERE. It’s actually easy to find when it’s on the rack.

OP
OP
KrisK

KrisK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks everyone for the responses! I like Jimmy07's advice on taking it back, because I want it done right. I'm thinking I'll probably get under there and try to find the fitting myself before I take it in, just so I can know for certain it's there before I push them on it.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same problem as you. I even show the dealership the fitting on a lift and several youtube videos. They still refuse to lube it, I believe it is because its a pain in the a$$. They still won't give me a letter saying that it doesn't need serviced per the manual though.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they refuse to grease it, get it in writing from them,
Also you can climb under the truck with a flash light and find the “ dimple”.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to ask my dealership to let me show them. They agreed after telling me no there isn't a spot. Once I showed them they were floored.

Not sure why I found this troubling.. My previous trucks I did it myself. This was in for warranty work and they did the oil change.. so I asked.. do the shaft too.. haha

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, it has one I have a 2017 PW and I do my own services and have lube the driveshaft with each oil change.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im guessing dealers dont (wont) do it because it involves actually spinning the wheels to line the joint up in just the right position. That takes more than 8 seconds, so "not necessary" is the response.

I dont have a 2500, but I dont think that makes a difference. Most dealers are lazy and only in it for profits, having to lift the truck off the ground to free spin the wheels goes against both of those principles :)

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Im guessing dealers dont (wont) do it because it involves actually spinning the wheels to line the joint up in just the right position. That takes more than 8 seconds, so "not necessary" is the response.

I dont have a 2500, but I dont think that makes a difference. Most dealers are lazy and only in it for profits, having to lift the truck off the ground to free spin the wheels goes against both of those principles :)

You don't have to spin the wheels to line up the zerk. The shaft turns independently and will spin even in park.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mine was bone dry from the dealer. New Ram--26 miles on the OD.
I pumped red Amsoil grease in and the same red grease come out the back side.

I watched 2 or 3 videos on you tube on where it was at ---> and how to do it ---> and the buying the right tool for the job.

A good light underneath is a big help.

Oh I did mine myself.
Just don't trust anyone else to tell me they did --> when they really didn't ---> and expect me to pay them.

Fortunately: I don't require to use the 4WD much so I don't have to grease that rascal often.
Depending on how bad our winters are will dictate how often I put a couple pumps into it.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
^^^^^this^^^^^

I did the same thing, watched a few YouTube videos, went and got a grease gun and lube, along with the needle noise adapter which is a MUST to do the job.

Reactions: U&A

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Mine was bone dry from the dealer. New Ram--26 miles on the OD.
I pumped red Amsoil grease in and the same red grease come out the back side.

I watched 2 or 3 videos on you tube on where it was at ---> and how to do it ---> and the buying the right tool for the job.

A good light underneath is a big help.

Oh I did mine myself.
Just don't trust anyone else to tell me they did --> when they really didn't ---> and expect me to pay them.
Yep. Once you have the correct tool it’s seconds to hop under there and do it. It takes longer for me to get down and get back up than it does to grease it. :disgust:

Reactions: SyN

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK< so does ne body know if the 1500's (4 X 4) has the same needle grease point so I do not have to crawl under truck, lol, lazy today took 200 mile motorcycle club ride, back sore...

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
OK< so does ne body know if the 1500's (4 X 4) has the same needle grease point so I do not have to crawl under truck, lol, lazy today took 200 mile motorcycle club ride, back sore...
There a sticker under your hood right towards the front. Or the owners manual will tell ya

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

1500 does not, different type of joint on the front driveshaft.

Reactions: SyN