DEF, oil life gauge, and oil filter life gauge not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
Driving from FL to MN in my 2017 Ram 2500 diesel, I noticed that my DEF gauge was not going down. I had filled it in FL prior to the long road trip. Realizing that it wasn't working, I was calculating my fuel consumption per mile to have an approximate idea of how much DEF had been used and when I should add some. Once in MN, I realized that my oil life gauge and fuel filter life gauge had also not moved since I left FL. This is a 1500 mile trip so I would think I would have used about 50% of the oil life and fuel filter life. Are these three gauges possibly on the same fuse where maybe I just need to get a new fuse? I had also changed my engine air filter and the air filter behind the glove compartment. Could that have done something? I wouldn't think so but seems coincidental that they aren't working after the air filter changes.

Lynne

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With no load your DEF consumption will be minimal, also the gauge isn't linear so it will stay on full for a long time. Also, oil and fuel filters changes are 15k miles so you have barely used 10% of the life.

So in short, nothing is wrong with your truck.

OP
OP
R

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
Thanks for the response DAW14 but I am typically driving my truck with no load and it does use DEF. I always have DEF on hand to make sure I never run it out. Also, I had the oil filter and fuel filters changed last fall before I drove to FL from MN. At that point it was 100%. I didn't do much driving in FL, just to the grocery stores and around town locally there. That brought those filters down to about 50% life left. I knew I would make it back to MN before the gauges showed 0 life but they didn't budge at all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When just driving it's nothing to get better than 1000 mpg of DEF.
Short trip driving is harder on a diesel than cruising down the freeway as the emissions system and oil is not up to operating temperatures. When cold more DEF will be used and the oil life is a calculation based on engine rpm and temperature, so short trips will shorten the "oil life"