DEF Refractometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M376X6

Reaction score
Ram Year
1963, 1965, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2022
Engine
Mopar
I was looking at customer reviews for Walmart's Super Tech DEF and the reviews were very positive for the most part. A very small few were actually scary. Some folks mentioned they have had problems with other brands of DEF and so forth. My fourth and previous Ram Cummins was a 2013 and didn't use DEF. I am not opposed to DEF in the least especially if it helps with the environment. In my dealings with issues as an engineer in my past life I am familiar with hygrometers and refractometers. I looked at my current addiction which from the number of orders weekly is Amazon. They have refractometers dedicated to DEF reading. Of course, I also discover there are meters that measure everything else as well but since I have those, I went with the DEF only. I measured it using a sample from a Platinum DEF container and the line was exactly where it should be. So, in it went. The Platinum was the oldest container I have so I used it as it was next in line. I don't know if using this meter might keep me from having problems down the line, but I figure it can't hurt. The refractometer was around 22 dollars. I keep between four and five 2 1/2-gallon new containers on hand because there was a short time where finding DEF was a little challenging for me.

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Age, heat and sunlight are the biggest issues for DEF. Most all DEF is the same no matter the box it's in.
Getting it from a pump at a truck stop is the cheapest and best place to get it.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have used the wally world DEF for years. So far its been great. Key thing is they sell a lot of it , so nothing stays on the shelf very long.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While I have seen people with "claimed" issues of bad DEF I have yet to see actual proof of any. I think almost every one was either contaminated (ie: put something else in the DEF tank) or a sensor issue. I've used wal mart DEF for years with zero issue.

Bottom line, it's not something I'd lose a lot of sleep over