diff oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was mine I'd do it just for piece of mind if nothing else. Gear oil is cheap compared to a new gear set.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't really want to pull the diff cover until "actual" 30k, so I can make the dealer inspect the gear set.

:angels2:

If the oil was cloudy, you are getting water in there. You need to pull the cover and reseal it, or the water will just get through again and f up your new oil. Find out where the water is coming from. You may not be able to find ****, this is likely Ram lowered the interval with diffs, it might be something we are prone to getting. Now I want to check mine :)

Do you do any type of wheeling - puddle jumping?

Last edited:

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Do you do any type of wheeling - puddle jumping?
Forest service roads for hunting/camping. We did fjord 12-14" of water this winter about 300-foot distance. After reading your post, i pulled the breather tube cap and duct taped an air line into it with the diff check plug pulled. There is definitely air going through the line. Pulled the line from the diff housing, plugged the breather tube to the diff with my finger and it's holding solid pressure. So I don't think it was leaking with water intrusion. And I don't see/hear any leaks on the diff case/third member.

I changed the diff fluid while I had it on the rack. I'll check it again at 30k, at least I have the piece of mine that the fluid is new. I ended up using the Mopar 75w90.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yup, that will doer, doubt someone who uses the truck like it was made to be used would want one of these, but kinda cool to see the fluids. I wish there was some way to tell when we get water in our diffs other then this...

post-20-0-83301100-1470956553.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, that will doer, doubt someone who uses the truck like it was made to be used would want one of these, but kinda cool to see the fluids. I wish there was some way to tell when we get water in our diffs other then this...

post-20-0-83301100-1470956553.jpg

The AFE diff covers have a sight glass. definitely a great option for this exact reason

46-70022-WLE1600.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Nick: do you stock the AFE for the AA 14-11.5 CS?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick: do you stock the AFE for the AA 14-11.5 CS?

we do BUT for RAM AFE states as follows,
2013-2015 RAM Cummins L6-5.9L (td)/6.7L (td) Leaf Spring Only
(Does not fit coil spring suspension)

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Yea. Those damn track bars ruined my ability to fit my 35" spare under my truck too.

Oh well. She rides nice for a 3/4-ton lol.

:cheers:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
we do BUT for RAM AFE states as follows,
2013-2015 RAM Cummins L6-5.9L (td)/6.7L (td) Leaf Spring Only
(Does not fit coil spring suspension)

:nutkick:----->AFE!

Thanks! I'm still about 5 months out from this service.
That small site glass would be a sweet addition.

RM2988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I'm a new member in the forum, so I apologize if I should start a new thread. I have a 15 Ram 2500 with the cummins. I've towed RV trailers for years (<10,000 pounds), but I will be towing a 5th wheel at the top end of my towing capacity in the near future. I'm approaching 40,000 miles and I'm prepping for my first diff fluid change. A friend suggested with the heavier load, I should consider a new diff cover for increased volume in fluid to help cool potentially hotter diff with max towing capacity. The only place I can find that also suggests this are the companies selling diff covers (not exactly impartial).

Does anybody here have experience with my setup towing in the 16,000-17,000 pound range? Do you have stock diff cover? Any recommendations to stay stock or upgrade?

Thanks for the input!

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently switched to Redline 75 / 140 at about 30k miles. Only tow a 9k# TT. Going to use my infrared temp gun to check temps when towing. If it reads really warm, will probably put aftermarket cover on..

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I used Royal Purple last year and I was advised it was "the worst thing" I could have done. I would have to find that thread again to read through it and see if there were supporting facts posted on that statement.

Anyhow, I just ordered some redline from Nick at a price cheaper than I paid for that RP. Seems most everyone around here who deeply discusses/researches oils in a way I have not bothered to begin wrapping my head around recommends Redline or Amsoil most the time for the gears and engine.
Royal Purple showed miserably in a gear oil test a few years ago. I believe the testing was driven by Amsoil but the testing was by an independent lab. I have nothing against Royal Purple but would never use it based on seeing that test in the past. Several industry experts I know refer to RP as a boutique oil. I use Valvoline for now because I have a case of the stuff. Will be going to Redline or Amsoil after the Valvoline is gone. Each to their own. My gear oil gets changed every 15K as I do lots of towing. My truck has PML covers front & rear so it is easy to keep the fluids fresh.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal Purple showed miserably in a gear oil test a few years ago. I believe the testing was driven by Amsoil but the testing was by an independent lab. I have nothing against Royal Purple but would never use it based on seeing that test in the past. Several industry experts I know refer to RP as a boutique oil. I use Valvoline for now because I have a case of the stuff. Will be going to Redline or Amsoil after the Valvoline is gone. Each to their own. My gear oil gets changed every 15K as I do lots of towing. My truck has PML covers front & rear so it is easy to keep the fluids fresh.

Yeah, no more RP for me in the gears. I'll just be buying their oil filter only from here on out and will probably continue to stick with Redline for lubing everything up!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you cant beat the Red Line diff fluids or any of their fluids really. I know plenty of guys that tow and race and swear by Red Line. Actually Red Line is THE fluid among the Auto Cross crowd too and they do some serious abuse on their vehicles.

skijake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you check out You Tube Banks Power is doing a very thought out and tested video on diff covers it is a three part video. Look up “Do Diff Covers Work or Are They Just Bling?”
Part one and two tell about aftermarket diff design issues and how the test is designed to make it fair. Part three is due to be out in November. Can’t wait to see the results.
I would view them before buying a new cover for hundreds of dollars that may not work as advertised.
Unfortunately I bought mine awhile back before I saw the videos.

Update: Banks has a new video called “what’s going on behind your flat-back diff cover.” Worth checking out.
Part 3 due out soon.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap Mr Banks is a great salesman, what better than to show a other companys covers are not very good ( allthough he has shown no proof of this) so when you bring your covers out they might sell at a over inflated price.