DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cptwing, to answer your question about the CHMSL, the stock incandescent CHMSL does NOT have running lights (and I am assuming what you are talking about is when you turn your head lights on does a dimmer version of the red light come on that then turns brighter when you step on the brake). The stock light only turns on when you hit the brake.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
cptwing, to answer your question about the CHMSL, the stock incandescent CHMSL does NOT have running lights (and I am assuming what you are talking about is when you turn your head lights on does a dimmer version of the red light come on that then turns brighter when you step on the brake). The stock light only turns on when you hit the brake.

Thanks, no red light until I hit the brake> You actually can't even see the red ones until they come on, I did notice on other vehicle's their is no running / marker light in them, guess I just got nervous, the new light was a bit pricy but it working great and as it should.

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was able to use the VIN provided to me by LKQ to download the 15.6.1 firmware. I know I have a 2015 radio as I have the 5 themes and tag button.. but it will not let me update at all. I also tried the 14.47 update and it gave the same error. The current Firmware version I have is 14.16.1.. anyone else having issues updating their firmware? Also, I put the new media hub in with the SD card slot and the radio does not see the SD port.. any ideas? Has anyone had to go into engineering mode and factory default their radio? I read this downloads software from uconnect using the 3g card.. being our VIN is locked out from not having an 8.4 originally I'm hesitant to do this as it may brick the radio?

I may be able to help as I had a problem updating my firmware as well but I would need more info. What error are you experiencing when attempting to update? What is the exact error message?

I did the factory reset and experienced no ill effects. Some of the buttons will disappear as well as some of the options for a time, but after several power cycles of the radio (key removed door opened/closed) everything returns.

It was unsettling the first time I did a reset because when the radio restarted it came up with an SRT screen and the uconnect icon was missing, which I actually liked as it is useless (see picture)

IMAG0194.jpg

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I may be able to help as I had a problem updating my firmware as well but I would need more info. What error are you experiencing when attempting to update? What is the exact error message?

I did the factory reset and experienced no ill effects. Some of the buttons will disappear as well as some of the options for a time, but after several power cycles of the radio (key removed door opened/closed) everything returns.

It was unsettling the first time I did a reset because when the radio restarted it came up with an SRT screen and the uconnect icon was missing, which I actually liked as it is useless (see picture)

View attachment 49020
Did you do a factory reset to get the SD card icon to show??

-JT

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you do a factory reset to get the SD card icon to show??

-JT

No, I just did it to see what would happen. The SD Card Icon was displayed on the "Media" menu prior to the reset. I do not have the SD Card media hub installed so I'm not sure if it works or not, but it is displayed.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
No, I just did it to see what would happen. The SD Card Icon was displayed on the "Media" menu prior to the reset. I do not have the SD Card media hub installed so I'm not sure if it works or not, but it is displayed.
Ok. I put the SD hub in my truck but it doesn't even show as an option. I don't even have an SD card to use in it but just wondered.

-JT

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok. I put the SD hub in my truck but it doesn't even show as an option. I don't even have an SD card to use in it but just wondered.

-JT

That's strange. I was under the impression that all vehicles equipped with the 8.4 radios had SD readers and therefore showed up in the "media" section no matter what. If it is not displayed I would do a reset via the menu option and several power cycles to see if it appears.

A firmware update will also effectively act as a "reset" if your radio is missing some options. The chage logs of the firmware will tell you if the firmware package addresses the issue and *may* fix your error.

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the SD Card media hub as well... while it does not show the SD card icon, if I insert an SD card, the USB icon lights up and will play files off it.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I added the SD Card media hub as well... while it does not show the SD card icon, if I insert an SD card, the USB icon lights up and will play files off it.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe that's just how it works on newer radios possibly???? I'm gonna try it for the he'll of it.

-JT

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

-JT
Do you happen to have a part number for the SD hub?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Anyone need a 911 error plug? I have 2 extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is the Error log from when I tried to update my radio..

********SOFTWARE UPDATE LOG********
Starting Update
Total units to update: 11
Installing unit 1 SYSTEM CHECK
Got the unit installer for SYSTEM CHECK
System Market matches
System Product matches
system_module_check: Part_number 68238619
This software update is incompatible with this radio. Update cannot be performed. Visit vehicle brand website for correct software
ERROR: This software update is incompatible with this radio. Update cannot be performed. Visit vehicle brand website for correct software
Software Update failed, see 'swdlLog.txt' on the USB stick for more details
Eject USB for RESET

What version of firmware are you coming from and what version are you trying to flash/update with?

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the firmware right from uconnect site. The main issue I have that the 15.6.1 firmware is supposed to fix is that when listening to FM or XM radio.. it will randomly switch to AM at times for no reason. No worries though.. I'll get it figured out.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I see, did you use the firmware download site or did you acquire this firmware elsewhere? The reason I ask is that I have read reports that while the radio may have come out of a 2015 it may still be the same hardware that went into the 13s and 14s. I bet you will have succeas with the 14.25.x firmware. Try the download site (if it is actually working), it will probably give you the download for 14.25.x

That site is screwed up for me. I still cant log on with the VIN number from my donor vehicle! I keep getting an error message that it is an invalid VIN, I used it before for the update. I was just checking if there is a new update, I have the 14.25.x

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I just checked my donor vin 2014 1500 longhorn, the latest is 14.25.05. I know there are newer ones out there for 13 and 14 but you only seem to get those using a jeep vin.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Here are the details for converting a 2014 RA2 MTC bezel "with 7 speed blower" to a RA3/4 MTC bezel for an 8.4 Uconnect Radio.

Parts Required For MOD:
8.4 Uconnect Radio (VP3/RA3 - Non-Nav) or (VP4/RA4 - Nav) **Check car-part.com or ebay.
Heater Control Module: - 68183973AB
Dash Controls: - 1UJ96DX9AF

Connectors & Pins to Make Adapter Harness (Required) (Use attached wire diagram and pinout below)
24 Pin Connector 1: 1318917-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
24 Pin Connector 1 - Pins: 1123343-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
24 Pin Connector 2: 1376103-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
24 Pin Connector 2 - Pins: 1376109-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
08 Pin Female - Connector: 30700-1081 Molex | Mouser
08 Pin Female - Pins: 1393366-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

22 or 24 AWG stranded wire
Crimp tool to crimp the pins on the wire. (Check Amazon & Ebay for wire and crimp tool)

Harness Pinout
24 Pin Connecter (2014)
Pin 01 to Pin 01 (Also needs to splice over to Pin 4 on 8 Pin Connector)
Pin 02 to Pin 02
Pin 03 to Pin 06
Pin 04 to Pin 05
Pin 05 to Pin 04
Pin 06 Blank
Pin 07 to Pin 13
Pin 08 on Moves to Pin 2 on 8 Pin Connector
Pin 09 to Pin 07
Pin 10 to Pin 08
Pin 11 Blank
Pin 12 to Pin 10
Pin 13 to Pin 9
Pin 14 to Pin 14 (Also needs to splice over to Pin 3 on 8 Pin Connector)
Pin 15 to Pin 15
Pin 16 to Pin 16
Pin 17 to Pin 17
Pin 18 to Pin 18
Pin 19 to Pin 19
Pin 20 to Pin 20
Pin 21 to Pin 21
Pin 22 to Pin 22
Pin 23 to Pin 23 (Also needs to splice over to Pin 5 on 8 Pin Connector)
Pin 24 to Pin 24 (Also needs to splice over to Pin 1 on 8 Pin Connector)

Optional parts, See Note 1 below.
911/Assist Mirror: - 68096091AF
Antenna Cable Body Cell & SDARS "QUAD/CREW": - 68148279AD
Antenna Jumper Cable: - 68148258AD
Shark Fin Antenna: - 5091278AC
SD Card Media Hub: - 68096428AD

NOTE 1:
You can omit the Mirror, Antenna body cable, Antenna jumper cable, and shark fin antenna if you buy the OEM auto parts plug shown here:
911 Vehicle Phone Override Cable

Or you can make your own using the following parts (search ebay and amazon for these)
Farka D connector with 2 to 6 inch lead
10k Ohm Resistor with 5% tolerance, 1/2 watt.

Just solder one end of the resistor to the center wire and the other end to the wire shielding. Tape it up with electrical tape or heat shrink it.

NOTE 2:
There is a confirmed working mod for those that have a 2013/14 with 5 speed blower, but being I do not have that and cant confirm how its setup, I will not include those instructions in this post.

I take NO credit for any of this, just wanted to sum this info up for everyone here. All credit goes to getupkid and others for getting this project started and all their research. Please do not PM me asking me to make and sell you a harness.. I only made 2 and used them both.

@Tracie3 this is what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO. Great info here but This thread should be locked its stepping away from being the DIY.....we will have a 100pg thread in no time soon..

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
For anyone who wants the 911 Error Plugs, I order parts to make 50 of them. Wait is looking at 1 week till I have them to ship. Not going to charge a markup just the cost to cover parts and shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.