DIY: PLASTI DIP on my 20" Chrome Clad Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did my exhaust tips. It hold up well, but I could see having to redo it every year. The road salt and brine have changed the finish a little on mine. Though they still look good, I don't know if they could handle another winter. They didn't melt off though like some thought they would.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did two of mine today! Other two tomorrow. Thanks for the write up OP!

Doing this next paycheck! Have the same color truck as you (CC, Sport).

Idk about the grill though. Badges, probably so!

Eventually want to get the smoked tail lights and head lights so it's blacked out. Then get a leveling kit. And a varaam CAI. That will be it for mods as I have plans to trade it in 1.5-2 years down the road for a used/new 2014/15 that has everything I want option wise.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wonder how this woudl look on my Laramie Chrome clad wheels? Maybe do a little taping and leave some of the accents in chrome.

JoeDirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to do my wheels and exhaust tips bad, Just need some durability info for everyday driving.

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many cans did you use for a set of four wheels?

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to do my wheels and exhaust tips bad, Just need some durability info for everyday driving.

If you don't hit it with a pressure washer it holds up pretty well. Using a sponge while washing is ok. I think it looks tacky personally. It is good for a temporary thing to see if you like different colored wheels and then get them powder coated but it does chip and fade over time. Powder coating does not if applied correctly. Powdercoating will fade but it takes YEARS. Plastidip is several months in my experience.

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don't hit it with a pressure washer it holds up pretty well. Using a sponge while washing is ok. I think it looks tacky personally. It is good for a temporary thing to see if you like different colored wheels and then get them powder coated but it does chip and fade over time. Powder coating does not if applied correctly. Powdercoating will fade but it takes YEARS. Plastidip is several months in my experience.

Is powder coating an expensive thing to get done?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I'm payin' $40 to have both my exhaust tips done. It gets more expensive the bigger the job. Not sure what wheels would run though.

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm payin' $40 to have both my exhaust tips done. It gets more expensive the bigger the job. Not sure what wheels would run though.

That doesn't sound to pricey. I just Plasti dipped my rims, so we'll see how well this stuff holds up

Kicksncaps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just got a quote to get the rims on my laramie powder coated and it was only $400 but now I just need to figure out how to go without my truck for 3 days lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got a quote to get the rims on my laramie powder coated and it was only $400 but now I just need to figure out how to go without my truck for 3 days lol

Almost worth just buying black rims

Kicksncaps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the wheel/tire combo I was looking at would run me around $2-2.5k so this is a more durable option than PD. I haven't come across any decent wheels around 100 a pc

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How are they powdercoating plastic wheels? The chrome is a plastic cover on the sports anyways not sure about laramie. I'm sure when they go in the oven to get coated they won't hold up very well

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plasti dip held up well for me over the winter. I did 5 coats last October & it all peeled off effortlessly yesterday. If I do it again I'll go with gloss or anthracite. The flat black just didn't do for me.

Xtreme545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You cannot powder coat chrome clad wheels

Sent from rock using chisel and hammer

jjc155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
man that looks saaaawwweeeeeettttt! def thinking about this for my 2014. Looks like the OP was from2011? How has it held up after this time??

I live in Michigan and our winters are brutal and they use more salt on the roads than is in the ocean, lol.

J-

captn_rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
How durable is the plasti coat? Does it chip or wear? Thinking of painting all the chrome on my truck so it is all blacked out but if the plasti coat doesn't require sanding/prepping the chrome and can be just peeled off if I change my mind I might try it...

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How durable is the plasti coat? Does it chip or wear? Thinking of painting all the chrome on my truck so it is all blacked out but if the plasti coat doesn't require sanding/prepping the chrome and can be just peeled off if I change my mind I might try it...
I painted my front emblem and the first 300 kms there was about 10 chips on it. Dipped my rims and emblems about 3000 kms ago and not one chip in it.

josh995

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I've dipped wheels, grills, body panels, mirror covers, interior bezels, roofs, etc and I have never had my Plastidip fade, chip, crack, etc. I use pressure washers when washing my wheels myself and the Plastidip is never affected. Have gone through the auto carwash, have used a scrub brush on my Plastidip wheels, nothing happened. Have gone through winters with all the crap they put on the roads in the winter, nothing. Several tens of thousands of miles, highway, city, and dirt roads, my Plastidip still looks great. I still get compliments on them every now and then and have even been paid to do it for other people because I tell them I do it myself.

If chipping or fading has happened to anyones Plastidip, it is from misapplication. I don't mean to sound rude, that's not my intention at all.

About it looking tacky, I do respect your opinion, however I have to disagree. I'm not sure how it looks tacky (if done correctly). It's a flat black paint, basically. Yes, for the first couple weeks after application, it's a little rough looking and feeling, kind of like sandpaper, but as you drive the vehicle the dip smooths out. Yeah, powder coating is immediate satisfaction (excluding the time it takes them to do it), but it also comes at a significantly higher price. You can Plastidip for ~$6-$7 per wheel vs $75-$100+ per wheel. And if you don't like the flat black, you can gloss over it and they'll be shiny. Plus, when you do get tired of it, or you go to sell the vehicle, you can just peel it off. Not so with powder coating.

Don't get me wrong, I like powder coating. Had my bimmer rims powder coated and was completely happy with it. But dipping is just... I dunno, the satisfaction of doing it yourself and it looking so good plays into it.

I seriously suggest anyone looking to dip your rims take the time and really learn how to dip on some practice objects first. Plastidip is very fun, and it's addicting. So many colors too, not just black!!

A tip to whoever wants to use it... I see everywhere people say "Don't apply it in direct sunlight" ... well I only do my dipping in direct sunlight and even better when it's nice and hot outside. I also recommend a minimum of 5 coats. I do 2 light coats, then the rest of my coats are applied thick.

Woah, this turned out to be a longer post than I imagined.