Do I need a break controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calhoun.22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman quad cab. I have towed 12' U haul trailers and smaller with the truck. The wife and I are looking at getting a travel trailer and have decided to rent a few different models to see what we really like and how the truck tows.

The truck does not come with the integrated break controller but does have the factory tow kit (class 4 hitch).

What I am trying the figure out is if the 7 pin connector being hooked up to the travel trailer will activate the trailer breaks or if I need a break controller for the breaks on the trailer to be functional.

Any knowledge you can provide would be appreciated.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Unless you add a trailer brake controller to the truck... the trailer will not know when to activate the brakes and how much braking to apply.

You'll have to buy an aftermarket trailer brake controller or buy the OEM controller and have the dealrship program the computer for it. This would be more expensive but once the dealer activates it, the brake is integrated into the trucks electronics. The truck will display trailer info and braking info on the screen next to your other gages. If I'm not mistaken, the truck also has some sway control built in if you you use the OEM controller.

Without it... your trailer will have no more braking capability then if you just used the 4 pin connector.

OP
OP
C

calhoun.22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you very much for the reply, I have begun researching aftermarket options because the nearest dealership is quite a distance. In looking at install videos it doesn't look like installing and aftermarket controller will be a challenge.

Again, thank you.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hello,

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman quad cab. I have towed 12' U haul trailers and smaller with the truck. The wife and I are looking at getting a travel trailer and have decided to rent a few different models to see what we really like and how the truck tows.

The truck does not come with the integrated break controller but does have the factory tow kit (class 4 hitch).

What I am trying the figure out is if the 7 pin connector being hooked up to the travel trailer will activate the trailer breaks or if I need a break controller for the breaks on the trailer to be functional.

Any knowledge you can provide would be appreciated.
Yes, there are already many threads on this forum with situations like your own. You can install a factory brake controller as well. Use the search function or you can go here to learn how to go about installing the factory brake controller.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If your going aftermarket, I'd suggest the prodigy P3. Buy the harness from prodigy and then its plug and play. It's a proportional controller and works excellent, just follow the mounting instructions and you'll be fine.

I still have mine, but my 17 came with the factory IT BC. So I don't use the P3 now. However in my opinion, it's a better, stronger unit than the factory one I'm using now. Good luck

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ll second the P3. Had one in my ‘06. Loved it. My ‘13 came integrated so don’t use it now but still have it in a box in the closet just Incase I need one someday.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
P3 seems to get alot of attention I have never used it as I have always gotten the cheeper ones. But I have used time delayed and progressive controllers. Don't get a time delayed get a progressive controller way smoother operation. I used the draw tite IQ worked great in my 2010

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those of us with only 2 axles to control, would the Prodigy P2 be acceptable? What makes the P3 so desirable?

OP
OP
C

calhoun.22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the confirmation. I purchased a P3 and wiring harness last night once I realized I was going to need a controller. I made the choice based on reviews and other comments on different threads. Nice to know I made the correct choice. Thanks again for the assistance.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no such thing as built in sway control with any trailer braking system. You will need to look into anti sway control as well as a weight distribution hitch. Pay attention to your weight limitations, both gross weight and payload. Include your trailer hitch weight in your payload calculations. I tow a 25' travel trailer with my 2015 QC Express 1500, using a Reese dual cam anti sway weight distribution hitch setup. I added the factory trailer brake controller after purchase and have had no issues.

Move Over

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The prodigys are very nice, but i have long legs and kept hitting my knee on them so i got a factory controller. Did not notice much of a difference in braking. The factory works well.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Maybe I'm giving the OEM system to much credit but... doesn't it detect the trailer, you put some weight input in for what your towing through EVIC and it factors that in for the trucks traction control system and braking of the trailer?

TRAILER SWAY CONTROL
Trailer Sway Control9 recognizes a swaying trailer and automatically applies individual wheel brakes and/or reduces engine power to help eliminate trailer sway.

I know it's by no means a substitute for a proper weight distribution / sway control hitch, but I do remember seeing a test on The Fast Lane Truck and it did make a difference.

I need to put one in before summer and was going to get the OEM controller because it integrates with the trucks stability control system. I know the trucks stability control can only do so much... but last summer I was with a friend pulling 8000 lbs of camper and we had to dodge a wreck at highway speed. The way he whipped that trailer you could feel that entire truck slam down on it's bump stops and I knew we were going to roll. We got around and were slowing, he said "I got it". Later he told me the truck was still braking and cut fuel when he thought giving it gas would pull it straight. The truck corrected, then gave him full control again. After that, I decided my next truck WOULD have that option.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an oem controller installed in my big horn to pull around a skid steer. What I like most about it was the gain and activation shows up in the instrument cluster. It does autodetect the trailer.