Does Not Using the Block Heater Affect Twin Battery Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Engine warmed by the block heater prevents the grid heater from activating. My original question remains: Are there ill affects on the lifespan of the 2 batteries by daily relying upon the grid heater?
I would say no being in my 2006 CTD the OEM batteries were replaced in 2018 after having surviving 11 Midwest winters & sub zero temps, btw the batteries were still good shape I just felt it was time to replace them along with the battery cables that were wore out before I took an 1500 mile trip...

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
You know OP, guys are trying hard to help and answer your questions. Try not to be quite so sensitive about how some of the guys, often me included, say things. Some of us have been doing this for 5 or 6 decades and have a bit of a different perspective as to what is truly germaine and impactful.

This is a great place to benefit from a lot of knowledge if you can take a bit of not well worded or modernly sensitve positioning of comments.Many of us are from an era where calling a shovel a spade was completely normal.

Sure thing. No worries. Have gotten a lot of useful knowledge in a very short time on this thread.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I would say no being in my 2006 CTD the OEM batteries were replaced in 2018 after having surviving 11 Midwest winters & sub zero temps, btw the batteries were still good shape I just felt it was time to replace them along with the battery cables that were wore out before I took an 1500 mile trip...

Wow. Your OEM batteries lasted 12 (twelve) years? That is phenomenal, unheard of.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Am always amazed at how much work people put into choosing something that is basically irrelevant cost wise. Only thing i care about with a battery is that it has enough juice to start and to work the winch. How long they last is completely of no interest. If I had to buy a new one every 12 months so it did that right it still amounts to FA in a hat box.
What's the saying, stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. In the grand scheme of things the OP would make a bigger impact moving out of Arizona to save his batteries than using a block heater.
Not all diesels have dual batteries, my EcoDiesel only has one.
can't say as i've noticed any differance in the life expectancy of the block heater,
You read way too deep into my post.. it's the second time a conversation of block heater useage to preserve battery life. It would be like you concerned about using traction compound to save the life of your drag slicks. Traction compound is for getting down the track and winning, does it save the slicks maybe. Same with a block heater, it's for raising engine temperature for better operation, does it do anything for the batteries...they may last a couple days longer over their several year lifespan.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's the saying, stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. In the grand scheme of things the OP would make a bigger impact moving out of Arizona to save his batteries than using a block heater.
Not all diesels have dual batteries, my EcoDiesel only has one.

You read way too deep into my post.. it's the second time a conversation of block heater useage to preserve battery life. It would be like you concerned about using traction compound to save the life of your drag slicks. Traction compound is for getting down the track and winning, does it save the slicks maybe. Same with a block heater, it's for raising engine temperature for better operation, does it do anything for the batteries...they may last a couple longer over their several year lifespan.
Well you got me there,lol.
It's been pointed out to me,this isn't the first time Goose has asked this question,i guess the answers he got last winter weren't up to his expectations,so it appears he felt he needed new answers this winter :rolleyes:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know nothing about grid heaters as all my small trucks have been gas. and the tractors and heavy truck never had them, thou come to think , a tractor did have heater in intake as it was air cooled.
I have being plugging block heaters in for a lot of yrs , Don't ever remember changing one, but the cords can need changing some times, have added a 2nd one at times
I could see it saving battery and faster starting on cool nights , block heaters warm up the antifreeze, and oil warmed up some. As Dean said , oil heaters used sometimes as well, tractors had them.
Makes things easier on the battery's, can mean the difference if it starts or not at 30-40 below.
About 4 hrs would be lots of time if you used timer if you just wanted a bit of help, no need to run them all night is not real cold, like we can get up north.

Btw, this Dec was a case do we get the snow plow or the mower out , But we may get wacked later. I remember a bad blizzard in mid May in the 80's

I had a 27 series battery in a 3 ton gas truck that lasted about 26-28 yrs. But not a lot of miles on it. garden tractor batteries, one year if you where lucky. but we use to pay $20-30 for that crap.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
For those interested look up a 'Thermo Cube' on Amazon. It's $15 - $20 and depending on which model you buy turns on/off the power depending on the temp. Great for those only wanting to run their block heater when it gets cold (again you can pick different model for different temps for when it goes on/off). Here's the one that turns on power at 35 degree's: LINK

I've used one for years as I have mostly outdoor dogs with heavy duty dog house (double insulated, heated, and A/C in summer - and big....so no worries if/when I'm in the dog house. :) ) so use it on their water container and a water heater in it for when it's going to freeze. You don't have to worry about it over heating the water during those weird days where things warm up, cause the power gets cut off by this device at 45 degrees. So it regulates.

Am sure there's other manufactures as well, but most in same price range. Save some $$ for the other cool stuff for our trucks!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For those interested look up a 'Thermo Cube' on Amazon. It's $15 - $20 and depending on which model you buy turns on/off the power depending on the temp. Great for those only wanting to run their block heater when it gets cold (again you can pick different model for different temps for when it goes on/off). Here's the one that turns on power at 35 degree's: LINK

I've used one for years as I have mostly outdoor dogs with heavy duty dog house (double insulated, heated, and A/C in summer - and big....so no worries if/when I'm in the dog house. :) ) so use it on their water container and a water heater in it for when it's going to freeze. You don't have to worry about it over heating the water during those weird days where things warm up, cause the power gets cut off by this device at 45 degrees. So it regulates.

Am sure there's other manufactures as well, but most in same price range. Save some $$ for the other cool stuff for our trucks!
Damn us Canucks get ripped off,it's more then double the price on Canuck Amazon.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That would have been great in the water system for the odd time it would get really cold, I had a commercial one to run a heat lamp, but yrs ago it was about 80.oo
it would not make much difference in Canada as it would be on all the time.

Last edited: