block heater for 1500 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this might be a bit of an odd q, but I'm looking for some way to have the engine (Well, cab, but the cab heat is based on the engine temp) heat up faster during this cold winter. I have a 3 year old, and an infant, and the wife always wants me to remote start the Ram, but even with remote start, the inside doesn't get much warmer than the outside until I start moving. My '18 Rebel came with the AGS factory bypassed. (And I don't really want to INSTALL it, considering everyone removes it anyway...) I have considered the old "Semi" cardboard trick, but I can see that causing other issues. (IE if I forget to remove it, it could cause the engine to overheat in the afternoon/on a warmer day/stuck in traffic)

I'm considering just putting some 12v heaters in the cab, but that feels even more like a bandaid.

My RAM is in the driveway, as the wife's car is in the garage, and the "second" car spot has too much **** in it, and it's **** I can't get rid of. (We can't currently afford a shed in a way we are willing to pay/in a size worth buying.)

I keep thinking "Just get a block heater", but the few things I have found seem to be PART of the block of a diesel, not something I can "somewhat" easily retro into a 5.7 Hemi.

Plus this morning was in the mid-20's when I went outside, and after what I believe was about 8 min, the windshield was barely defrosted, so if it gets any colder, the remote start as it is now won't really do the job anyway.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's block heaters available for the 1500's,they aren't all that hard to install,as they don't go into a freeze plug,like older ones did. Personally if you want it to warm up faster inside,i'd throw an interior heater in it.
That's assuming the heater is working properly,as they do have issues with heater cores plugging and blend doors not working properly

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What he said. ^^^

Another avenue to go would be a coolant heater that installs in the hose of the cooling system. The Hemi block heater installs directly into the block(metal to metal), but it may not warm the engine up as quickly as a coolant heater.
My EcoDiesel has a block heater that warms the glycol, but that was a factory installed option. I use a smart plug to turn on the heater about two hours before I need to leave and makes a big difference in how fast the engine warms up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just to add to Crashes post Temro and Polar also make inline coolant heaters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat