Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You'd be wrong.

Also, it's a PW, doesn't need "drop gimmicks"

It broke on this. Does that look beyond the range of motion?
It's just a weak ****** design. Folds over like a pretzel.

I sure hope you're being facetious. Because on your own post you mention rock crawler.
It didn't just break because it's a ****** design as you claim. :flipthebird:

Vehicle Objective:

The purpose of this build is to support our family of four, in both on and off-road adventures. The rig needs to serve a multi-purpose role of towing regularly and handling overnight off-road adventures. We're seeking a compromise between capable trail rig, tow rig and rock crawler.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I sure hope you're being facetious. Because on your own post you mention rock crawler.
It didn't just break because it's a ****** design as you claim.

It is a ****** design. And booger welding the adjustment nut is a ****** fix.

:flipthebird:

You can see it’s bent after the adjuster. That was most likely from an impact like dropping a wheel to hard.

Dropping a wheel? What does that even mean?

IMG_2124.PNG

This is it, bent. All it took was force. I'm not actually the only guy who has had this happen. If you go over to the PW Registry, this has happened a number of times.

I know it's not a problem for you guys at the mall.

My posts are to emphasize, that if you are spending $300 you might as well buy a superior product and go aftermarket and attempt to get RAM to pay for it.

Or make nonsensical arguments with me. It's your time and money.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dropping a wheel as in the picture that you first posted where you’re trying to cross a bit of a crevice. If you go in to fast wheel drops into the crevice, and if it hits something hard you can cause damage.

Ive seen similar things happen a lot, same kind of damage happens when people hit a curb.

If you do lots of off roading, ***** gonna break. Not necessarily a ****** design, but if you do a lot of off roading you’ll always find the weakest link in factory components, and eventually upgrade them.

Vehicles like the power wagons and wranglers have to compromise, people want them to do everything so naturally they can’t be way overbuilt for off roading and yet still be affordable and a daily driver.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
It is a ****** design. And booger welding the adjustment nut is a ****** fix.

:flipthebird:

Dropping a wheel? What does that even mean?

View attachment 193797

This is it, bent. All it took was force. I'm not actually the only guy who has had this happen. If you go over to the PW Registry, this has happened a number of times.

I know it's not a problem for you guys at the mall.

My posts are to emphasize, that if you are spending $300 you might as well buy a superior product and go aftermarket and attempt to get RAM to pay for it.

Or make nonsensical arguments with me. It's your time and money.
Don't even waste the time arguing. No way 39s will ever fit either[emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TonyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Ha! These guys are killing me. So after waiting a month the stealership gives me a shout today. Manager guy tells me the new part is on the way hopefully overnight and they want to get me in. I ask what exactly is the new part and he says a new nut. I say I want the new drag link they’ve been putting on the 2019 and 2020’s. He says no. They only ordered me a new nut because they can’t break the weld a third time and reuse it. So they want to cut the nut off, put a new one on, and weld it again. Unreal.

TonyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Good luck fellas! So I refused to let them break the old nut, replace it with a new one, and weld it again (they already had three tries to get the steering wheel straight). I called FCA to start a case number and the guy tells me that is the fix and he will not open a case. Then he tells me he will transfer me up the ladder and actually puts me on with the dealer! Ha.

At this point I’m done with this whole ordeal. The dealer continues to call me because they had the nut overnighted and they want to get this fixed. I don’t respond. About a week later I get a call stating the new drag link is in. They give me a rental car for the day plus change the oil and filter while they put the new assembly on. No charge for anything and they tell me thanks for letting them fix the problem. I have no clue what just happened, but I think I’m happy???????

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It didn't just break because it's a ****** design as you claim. :flipthebird:

Vehicle Objective:

The purpose of this build is to support our family of four, in both on and off-road adventures. The rig needs to serve a multi-purpose role of towing regularly and handling overnight off-road adventures. We're seeking a compromise between capable trail rig, tow rig and rock crawler.

im with ya brotha. reminds me of the ******* that puts a 4' cheater on a wrench then says the wrench is ************* when it breaks. cant fix stupid. if the draglink was 2" DOM tube somebody would still find a way to bend it and talk ****

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good luck fellas! So I refused to let them break the old nut, replace it with a new one, and weld it again (they already had three tries to get the steering wheel straight). I called FCA to start a case number and the guy tells me that is the fix and he will not open a case. Then he tells me he will transfer me up the ladder and actually puts me on with the dealer! Ha.

At this point I’m done with this whole ordeal. The dealer continues to call me because they had the nut overnighted and they want to get this fixed. I don’t respond. About a week later I get a call stating the new drag link is in. They give me a rental car for the day plus change the oil and filter while they put the new assembly on. No charge for anything and they tell me thanks for letting them fix the problem. I have no clue what just happened, but I think I’m happy???????

Nice! What dealer did you use out there?

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I'm finally up to speed on a lot of the suspension of this power wagon of mine. First solid axle truck. when I bought my 18 in December I noticed the steering wheel was crooked. now I have learned that since they did the recall I'm screwed. of course the dealer that did the recall is 300 miles away. I called FCA and they told me to contact the dealer that did the recall. Email sent today explaining what's going on. I asked for the new drag link and a couple of nuts and I'll do the fix myself. We'll see what happens next! I'm guessing I'm going to get a big **** you!

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If there was a way to "drag" FCA into small claims court I would do it but since all I can do is sue the dealer (and I would win) I won't be going that route. The dealer I use is really good and has taken care of me quite well and it's really not the dealers fault, they are bound by all sorts of legal agreements with FCA's warranty policies.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Did you already have the old drag link welded by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was notified today that my reimbursement has been approved. I had a local shop install the updated Mopar drag link, and do an alignment. FCA is reimbursing me for the whole thing. About $400.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was notified today that my reimbursement has been approved. I had a local shop install the updated Mopar drag link, and do an alignment. FCA is reimbursing me for the whole thing. About $400.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Based on RAM Cares post in the other thread (where you mentioned your approved submission), it looks like the key might be using only the Mopar drag link.

The problem I see with that statement is that, AFAIK, that part has not been made available until very recently. So people that drove their trucks a lot, or just didnt feel safe without getting them fixed (one way or another) are possibly SOL by now.

That is still an issue that is on FCA/RAM.....they should allow anyone who took the weld fix "just to get it done" to get the updated part installed free of charge.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Was just thinking. My son bought a 2018 2500 with 6000 miles on it last summer and the weld was already done. He got new K02s at 13,000 miles cause he kept getting stuck at the jobsites with the factory Firestones. Anyway, he had the shop do an alignment on it when they put the new tires on. He got the printout from the before and after and they definitely made changes. Point is, they did an alignment with the drag link welded.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Was just thinking. My son bought a 2018 2500 with 6000 miles on it last summer and the weld was already done. He got new K02s at 13,000 miles cause he kept getting stuck at the jobsites with the factory Firestones. Anyway, he had the shop do an alignment on it when they put the new tires on. He got the printout from the before and after and they definitely made changes. Point is, they did an alignment with the drag link welded.

Sure you can do the alignment with the nuts welded, the drag only affects the steering wheel (not the actual wheel alignment).

With that said if after they align it and your steering wheel is not centered any more you will not be able to fix that. Don't know about you but an off center steering wheel drives me absolutely nuts! I would lose my mind if I had to drive around with it crooked all the time.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sure you can do the alignment with the nuts welded, the drag only affects the steering wheel (not the actual wheel alignment).

With that said if after they align it and your steering wheel is not centered any more you will not be able to fix that. Don't know about you but an off center steering wheel drives me absolutely nuts! I would lose my mind if I had to drive around with it crooked all the time.

+1
For what I paid for this rig, that is not at all acceptable.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'

I'm the same way. An off center steering wheel would keep me up at night...lol. My son has put 26,000 miles on his truck since late July when he bought it so guessing his is still centered or he would have mentioned it. I actually test drove it before he bought it and it was centered then or I would have noticed it and it was already welded at that point.