Drive belt replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie | Exterior Billet Silver / Interior Mountain Brown & Light Frost Beige
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
I haven't seen any posts about this so I'm hoping to get an expert opinion (or two or three)...
My 2019 2500 Cummins has 88,000 miles on it and I'm getting ready to pull an RV on a 3,000-mile trip next month. When changing my oil today the mechanic said my drive belt is in need of replacement. I looked at the belt; it's worn but not cracked or frayed. To be safe, I'll have this work done ($450) before I hit the road. My question-- is drive belt replacement something I could normally expect with this many miles? I've had a 2500 Cummins previously ('07) and a 1500 Ecodiesel. I took both up to almost 100k before trading them in and never replaced the drive belts.
Thanks in advance for your opinions...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One would think you should be able to go at least 100K mile on the drive belt, given that your heading out on a trip and working the engine it's probably cheap insurance to have a new one on there.
I hope that $450 is for something more than just replacing the belt, at that rate it's practically armed robbery. The belt is probably $100 (retail) at most and an hour labor is more than enough.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
do you have dual Alternators ?? Mopar serpentine belt costs more than $120
Belt Tensioner is $80
Idler pulley is $60
Dodge dealer Labor charge ??

You should watch this video, just the parts about the belt
especially where he shows the belt comb like thing

I suggest that you purchase your parts from RockAuto & store them in the Ram

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
In my 2006 I replaced the belt on my 5.9 CTD at 99K and only because it was over 12 years old an I was going one a long trip, heck local dealership shop rate for diesel is $180 hour and it does not take more then 1 hour to replace so that is one very expensive belt they are installing...

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
At my 100,000KM's service I had a new serp belt, with idler and tensioner pulleys installed just because of the mileage.

I figure it's cheap insurance to ensure a failure doesn't occur as I drive a lot. Plus I got the dealership to do it, so if something goes south, it's on them ;)

I deal with a reputable dealer who's done me well on work and honors their work, too, without hassles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not being a gearhead, I did a replacement one time on my exes Mercury Tracer. Took a day and a half. Had to remove the engine mounting bolts, jack it up 2-inches, remove the right front tire to access a hole in the panel, etc, etc.

On the other hand, I drove two trucks a total of 400,000 miles over a period of 35 years and never even thought about it once.

OP
OP
djsapr

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie | Exterior Billet Silver / Interior Mountain Brown & Light Frost Beige
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Thanks for the replies, folks. Here's an update: Dodge wants to charge me $450. Their labor rate is $209/hr. The belt itself (from Geno's Garage) is less than $100. So I called the guy who runs a local heavy truck repair shop and will be doing my brakes before I travel next month. He told me he'd replace the drive belt for $200 "because it only takes half an hour to do that." I, therefore, conclude Dodge wants to take me to the cleaners (again) for this service. I will have the brake guy do the belt. Better safe than sorry when I hit the road...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the replies, folks. Here's an update: Dodge wants to charge me $450. Their labor rate is $209/hr. The belt itself (from Geno's Garage) is less than $100. So I called the guy who runs a local heavy truck repair shop and will be doing my brakes before I travel next month. He told me he'd replace the drive belt for $200 "because it only takes half an hour to do that." I, therefore, conclude Dodge wants to take me to the cleaners (again) for this service. I will have the brake guy do the belt. Better safe than sorry when I hit the road...
A long-standing rule since I was a kid for me and everyone I've known: Never go to the dealer for anything that is not covered by warranty.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer always wants to take you to the cleaners. I never have anything done at the dealer asside from warranty work. Hec i wouldnt even buy a Mopar belt. My Ram has 124K miles and its on its second belt that i changed around 80K. At that time it cost me $65 which was around 6 years ago.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take your chances with some local shops. The local chain shops that I used have turned into parts throwers. They keep throwing new parts at the problem until they get it right. More trips,more cost. Somethings the dealer can do better. You know you want to change the belt, shop the belt change price...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealer always wants to take you to the cleaners. I never have anything done at the dealer asside from warranty work. Hec i wouldnt even buy a Mopar belt. My Ram has 124K miles and its on its second belt that i changed around 80K. At that time it cost me $65 which was around 6 years ago.
The only things I changed on my last two trucks combined (400,000 total miles) - not counting brakes - was a U-joint, a BCM, an EBCM, a water pump, and front and rear drive shaft seals. No belts, no hoses. The only things I had a local mechanic do were the modules. The BCM because it needed to be flashed to the truck, and the EBCM because I couldn't get to it without a lift.

The only things the dealer(s) ever did was some minor recall stuff at the beginning.

Last edited:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I'm at just over 85K on my 2016 2500 6.7, and am thinking of changing my belt out soon. My belt would probably make it to 100K, but I'm also pretty sure it's the original as well. So my approach (doing the work myself on single alt setup) is to swap out the belt myself with the newer style of HD Green belt and then keep my current one as a spare.

Hope this helps someone:

Geno's lists Gates HD one, but isn't available/in Stock (on 6/26/2023) GATES-K081243HD:
Geno's Belts and Pully's

But using the P/N they show, I found ACDelco version on Amazon:
ACDelco Gold K081243HD

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't seen any posts about this so I'm hoping to get an expert opinion (or two or three)...
My 2019 2500 Cummins has 88,000 miles on it and I'm getting ready to pull an RV on a 3,000-mile trip next month. When changing my oil today the mechanic said my drive belt is in need of replacement. I looked at the belt; it's worn but not cracked or frayed. To be safe, I'll have this work done ($450) before I hit the road. My question-- is drive belt replacement something I could normally expect with this many miles? I've had a 2500 Cummins previously ('07) and a 1500 Ecodiesel. I took both up to almost 100k before trading them in and never replaced the drive belts.
Thanks in advance for your opinions...
Unless there are signs of wear or fatigue, it is probably fine. I see a fair amount of Ram trucks and as far as I can tell the factory belt is top quality. I've not heard of one needing replacement under 150K.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 93319 miles.

OP
OP
djsapr

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Take your chances with some local shops. The local chain shops that I used have turned into parts throwers. They keep throwing new parts at the problem until they get it right. More trips,more cost. Somethings the dealer can do better. You know you want to change the belt, shop the belt change price...
It seems like this is a recent thing. Before COVID as an example, I was paying around $100 for an oil change at the dealer. Now it's double that. I'd do the oil change myself if I had a way to dispose of all the used oil, and an oil pan big enough to catch it in... and if I had the time... oh well.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It seems like this is a recent thing. Before COVID as an example, I was paying around $100 for an oil change at the dealer. Now it's double that. I'd do the oil change myself if I had a way to dispose of all the used oil, and an oil pan big enough to catch it in... and if I had the time... oh well.
Guess I'm luck that my dealer installs my oil, oil filter and rotates tires all for $49.95, 5 years ago and about 1700 miles to the east I use to pay $32.95 for the same work...