Routine radiator replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I'm currently in the middle of my 10 year (almost) and 100k mile tune up. New plugs, new belt and pullies, new water pump, thermostat, hoses. Crazy you have to take the intake manifold off for this which mandates replacing the EGR return cooling hose. also doing the inlet as well (might as well). This last part is why a one day job has turned into more. Waiting on the EGR hoses.

anyway, talking to the parts guy, I get a recommendation to replace the radiator since they usually only last 10 years. I'm thinking WTF. My radiator in my 2015 6.4 is just fine. I've never done a pre-emptive radiator swap before. Is this a thing and have I just been lucky in the past? We do a lot of long distance travel trailer towing so if I need to be doing this, I will.

anyone know if this is something that really should be done?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are you sure he wasn't recommending to replace the EGR cooler itself? They live a hard life cooling high temp exhaust gases along with corrosiveness.
Your probably more likely to need to replace the heater core than the radiator itself.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
that does make more sense but, no. the guy was referring specifically to the radiator. Maybe he was just F-ing with me. although, at $300 for OEM mopar radiator, it was tempting.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Was the person that recommended a replacement radiator at a Radiator Shop or at some place like Midas or Firestone or worse yet, a Dodge Dealership ?

I would not get a Mopar Radiator, unless someone else was paying for it.
I would buy a Griffin or Spectra Premium radiator from a Radiator Shop, not a Auto Parts Store.
Radiator Shops have the best prices

Last edited:

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just done all of this on my 2016. Including the radiator but only because it was leaking at the bottom on the driver side. I purchased the spectra premium from rock auto. I would not have done it if it were not leaking and as long as it is not clogged or leaking I see no reason to do so. All though it is easy to do and it gave me more room to do the water pump and fan clutch.
The water pump is a pain only because of that egr cooler line. I had read where some people were able to do it without removing the intake but it was not possible on mine. Over all not a bad job but as easy as the 5.7.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some of the newer vehicles have radiators with plastic parts in places and those seem prone to getting brittle and breaking. I'm not sure what these Ram trucks have and I'm currently 2500 miles from my truck so I can't check. I think 10 years is a bit overzealous for swapping it out unless there's something wrong with it or there's brittle plastic, etc.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some of the newer vehicles have radiators with plastic parts in places and those seem prone to getting brittle and breaking. I'm not sure what these Ram trucks have and I'm currently 2500 miles from my truck so I can't check. I think 10 years is a bit overzealous for swapping it out unless there's something wrong with it or there's brittle plastic, etc.
Yes they are plastic. Mine developed a hairline crack at the seam. I would say a good flush is needed if doing the water pump but not replacement if nothing is wrong with it.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they are plastic. Mine developed a hairline crack at the seam. I would say a good flush is needed if doing the water pump but not replacement if nothing is wrong with it.
I agree. I have had lots of trucks with the aluminum center and plastic tanks on the sides. On a 1992 260K mile truck I replaced the radiator twice in 27 years. On a 2010 I have it leaked at the seam at 200K at 12 years old. My 1998 has been leak free and original at 192K. My 2016 is leak free and original at 112K. I can't draw any conclusions from this to address as preventative maintenance. I do know that keeping up with OEM coolant at an early drain and fill has kept my water pumps original in everything but the green coolant 1992 truck. That pump was changed once in 27 years.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was at a Ram parts counter. I've never replaced a radiator as prevenative but all of my experience has been on less newer trucks, that's why I was asking. swapping the radiator would literally take minutes on my 2500 so I was temped. But knowing how easy it is to take the fan / shroud/ radiator out is, I'm not doing it this time around. Now if I get stranded out in the middle of no where then I may change my tune in the future. but after 53 years, a radiator has yet to do that to me.

as for the water pump, I think to be thorough, you would want to remove the intake manifold and replace the hoses under it. I figure if youre doing the heater hoses, you should do these too. of course I'm speaking in retrospect since I'm learning the EGR part first hand. You could do the pump without removing the manifold as the lead pipe leading out of the pump and to the EGR hose pops out of the pump body. also learing that first hand.

on the plus side, doing the spark plugs is super easy with the manifold out of the way and i was able to vacuum a bunch of dead wasps out from under it. Not sure why I'm collecting wasps....

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
usually youll start to see white crusties at the seams or where ever its leaking. if theres no crusties i wouldnt bother replacing it just yet

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I was at a Ram parts counter. I've never replaced a radiator as prevenative but all of my experience has been on less newer trucks, that's why I was asking. swapping the radiator would literally take minutes on my 2500 so I was temped. But knowing how easy it is to take the fan / shroud/ radiator out is, I'm not doing it this time around. Now if I get stranded out in the middle of no where then I may change my tune in the future. but after 53 years, a radiator has yet to do that to me.

as for the water pump, I think to be thorough, you would want to remove the intake manifold and replace the hoses under it. I figure if youre doing the heater hoses, you should do these too. of course I'm speaking in retrospect since I'm learning the EGR part first hand. You could do the pump without removing the manifold as the lead pipe leading out of the pump and to the EGR hose pops out of the pump body. also learing that first hand.

on the plus side, doing the spark plugs is super easy with the manifold out of the way and i was able to vacuum a bunch of dead wasps out from under it. Not sure why I'm collecting wasps....
Driving to failure is what you are trying to avoid … I would replace the radiator by myself for under $150 since being cheap also means early prevention..

Wasps have an extraordinary sense of what we would call smell.
Acidic scents like ammonia with combination of vinegar they also are attracted to over ripened fruit much like scent of some types of coolant are attractive to domestic pets.

I agree replacing the heater core is good preventative maintenance

Since plastics and metals expand and contract at different rates and the crimps holding the two materials are sealed under pressure…. vibration and the hot cold cycles would be contributing elements in shortening its life expectancy…replacing the radiator cap might be a straw event determining factor.

Request a cooling system pressure test to confirm solidity.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks everyone for all the info and input. I ended up replacing the entire cooling system right down to the reservoir cap, to include the radiator (Denso not mopar).
Soaked my EGR cooler in Purple power over night. Inside of that thing went from black and sooty to pretty much new looking! The truck runs so much smoother and feels peppier, might be the clean EGR cooler but more likely the 16 new spark plugs and cleaned intake manifold.

all in all, not that tough of a project.

Ready for another 100K miles driving and towing through the heat and frequent trips to the Vegas area!