Dual short ram intake setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey has anybody done a short ram dual intake on the new gen rams? I've looked every where and haven't found anything about, I'm gunna make my hood functional. I hope somebody has done it!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Short Ram" intakes are not effective to add power. They do make pretty noises.

If you want noise, look into the K&N intake.

OP
OP
T

TheRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't care about noise and I'd rather not have any but I do plan on making my r/t hood functional and would like to have 2 air filters right where the scoops are for cold air. I only see them on 3rd gen trucks -_-

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I don't care about noise and I'd rather not have any but I do plan on making my r/t hood functional and would like to have 2 air filters right where the scoops are for cold air. I only see them on 3rd gen trucks -_-

Unless you are able to seal them to the bottom of the hood, keep the filters dry, and get better airflow into them, then you're looking at a bad mod here. The opening on the sport hood are tiny and very close to the hood, no where near large or high enough to effectively push air into the engine bay at any decent volume to make a difference, even at speed. I had the suncoast hood before and the scoops are larger but you wouldn't see anything until you're over 60mph, and they were more prominent than the sport hood scoops.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Unless you are able to seal them to the bottom of the hood, keep the filters dry, and get better airflow into them, then you're looking at a bad mod here. The opening on the sport hood are tiny and very close to the hood, no where near large or high enough to effectively push air into the engine bay at any decent volume to make a difference, even at speed. I had the suncoast hood before and the scoops are larger but you wouldn't see anything until you're over 60mph, and they were more prominent than the sport hood scoops.
^^Concur. Think about how hot your metal hood gets--heck, even an after market fiberglass or carbon hood heats up. Now suck outside air through those lil tiny holes and you got heat saturated air and its probably lost all RAM benefit by the time it gets through the restrictions of the tiny filter you could put there.
Solution: Vararam for the ram effect; S&B for style and a snorkel that you could mod to ram through the lower bumper air dam.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now that you've heard plenty of opinions on your plans, you might try looking at spectre's web site. They sell many different intake components that will help you do what you're trying to do.
Spectre Air Filters, Cold Air Intakes & Automotive and Hot Rod Performance Accessories

I've looked for many different intake options for my Sport and haven't seen anyone use a short ram.
As long as you're aware of the caveats; that there will be no performance gains and you'll only be funneling rain and foreign debris into your engine compartment, I say have fun modding your truck and don't forget to post pics.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Spectre does make some great products if you measure everything out you could probably fab something up.

I agree it's not going to do much and your going to need some sharp angles to put dual filters on there. Spectre does make a dual intake tube..

Litew8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I bought a dual filter intake off eBay. I'm planning on adding to it later to make it run over near the headlamps.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cervini's made a ram air kit for use on the Challenger hoods. They are similar to the Sport hoods in the fact they have two fairly small scoop inlets.

08-14 Challenger R/T & SRT8 Ram Air Kit

I didn't see anything listed for the Ram, but maybe if you talk to them you can be their guinea pig and get a freebie out of them. FYI, the Challenger guys I knew that ran the Cervini never saw anything greater than a normal intake.

Also, much like the Ram Sport hoods, the RT Challenger’s had non-functional air scoops. The SRT Challengers came from the factory with functional air scoops. The difference being the non-functional is about 2 inches long and basically decorative. The functional actually had a scoop that fit in the hood and would direct cool air into your engine bay. Here is a picture of the functional style scoops.

$(KGrHqR,!hoE1hdiq1PsBNeO3wvQQ!~~_35.jpg

Some testing was done by an enthusiast and concluded some air flow was getting into the engine bay but it was minor and only good for a few degrees cooler, mainly at higher speeds. Still, most the RT guys converted as they wanted a little difference. I did the conversion myself. Never had any scientific data to prove anything, but in cooler weather the car seemed more responsive according to the butt dyno.

Lastly, I never had issues with rain or other junk getting in my engine bay.

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want something that is a true dual CAI, well there is guy in the LX/LC community doing those as well. His name is Cam. I saw one briefly years ago and considered it until I realized it was about a $1,000 intake. But all custom work, etc.

Here is a detailed thread link explaining more. Oh yeah, and some eye candy. :favorites13:

Twin Cold Air Intake System Sales.

IMG_2636.jpg

SEMA09finalfitment010-1.jpg

twinpretty1.jpg

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, that's cool but $1000?.,,. WOW

I would do that for $50 using some PCV..lol
or use the spectre stuff.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Cam stopped making his intakes quite a few years ago when he made some life /job changes, but they were replaced by the single LMI true cold air intake. And you could do it with PVC, but then it would LOOK like it was done with PVC. Cam's intakes were a work of art, metal work was perfectly smooth and flawless, fully sealed at the bottom from the engine bay, and you paid for it. Only about a dozen were ever actually made and they are trading hands quickly when they come up for sale.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cam stopped making his intakes quite a few years ago when he made some life /job changes, but they were replaced by the single LMI true cold air intake. And you could do it with PVC, but then it would LOOK like it was done with PVC. Cam's intakes were a work of art, metal work was perfectly smooth and flawless, fully sealed at the bottom from the engine bay, and you paid for it. Only about a dozen were ever actually made and they are trading hands quickly when they come up for sale.

Yeah, was just being facetious.

But hell paint it black and no would know it was PCV. lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See the 5.7 is a little tricky because the TB is pointed up. Not much room unless they make a cowl hood for our trucks.

Litew8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I this one would still work it only sit about 6" of the throttle body

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk