ECM vs VP44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cisco kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a strange issue. truck is 2001 Ram3500 4X4 cumins 5 speed. runs great just a little low on power but that is normal. all at once it will buck once or twice and then run fine. last week i was headed back home and it died right after starting and going 50 feet. it would sometime act like it wanted to start for about 1/2 second then die sometimes. it did start finally and ran for a couple minutes before dieing completely again. after sitting a couple days it started right up and pulled onto and off of the trailer. sitting there running for about 15min it died completely. i jumped the vp44 it ran a bit then died again and no start. i jumped the lift pump and it ran for a time then died again installed clear VP intake hose for a clear one to make sure no air in system. all good.
am i looking at VP replacement or could it be a ECM issue?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
No one can say for certain without running diagnostics. Which I recommend you get done before buying any parts. Either piece is not cheap.

Unfortunately it’s the same symptoms whether the VP44 is dying or if it not receiving correct commands from the ECM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357