P3401 - MDS - ECM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BretRam2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings all,
2006 Ram 1500 - 5.7. CEL for P3401. Replaced two MDS solenoids. Mechanic says ECM not sending power to cylinder 1. Jumped power from 2 to 1 to test. Says can't get new ECM, no longer making. Any ideas on a fix? I don't really care if the economy system doesn't work. Don't like riding around with CEL on. Thought about adding a chip to disable MDS, flash bios, and maybe get a few more MPGs? Other than that, truck is perfect. Thoughts?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Causes for this P3401 code may include:
Defective cylinder deactivation solenoid
Low engine oil level or pressure
Restricted oil passage
Faulty or damaged wiring
Corroded, damaged or loose connector
Defective ECM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p3401
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

OP
OP
B

BretRam2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response. We have narrowed it down to the ECM not sending power to that cylinder. They tell me that I cannot get a new ECM. They are no longer made. I was thinking of adding a chip that would bypass the MDS system and flash the BIOS so it would no longer get that CEL. Thoughts? Other options?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the response. We have narrowed it down to the ECM not sending power to that cylinder. They tell me that I cannot get a new ECM. They are no longer made. I was thinking of adding a chip that would bypass the MDS system and flash the BIOS so it would no longer get that CEL. Thoughts? Other options?
Do your own search for your ecm. There are rebuilders , and I’m certain there are others who have the part you need .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The companies that rebuild ECMs usually have good reviews.

EXCEPT, when the ECM came in a vehicle that had a Manual Transmission, some how those rebuilders don't have Manual Transmission ECUs

A good friend had a Stick Shift Dodge Ram
He sent off for a rebuilt ECU & instead of sending them his CORE ECU, he sent the amount of money they requested.

They kept sending him Automatic Transmission ECUs & the truck would not start.
Then they told him that they would not give him his money back, But if he would send the Original ECU, that they would rebuild it & send it back in like new condition.

They received Original ECU & supposedly rebuilt it & sent it back, BUT they did not send the Stick Shift ECU back to my friend, they sent someone elses ECU back to him.

The last that i heard about it, he was going to take them to court & he bought a Toyota that his professional Mechanic had and was not using.