Electrical gremlin help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So during the winter I had issues on my 17 rebel with the heated seats not working unless I restarted the truck. I would come to a stop sign cut it off cut it back on and they would work. This was an intermentent problem and not really a big deal.

Now being close to summer the A/c is doing the same thing...sometimes it works....sometimes I have to restart the truck. Lights on the dash and uconnect will come on but no a/c unless I restart the truck then the it will kick on.

Any ideas...could these be related? Seems to be the only two functions that have this issue.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CAN Bus/Star Connectors - Capacitor in them goes bad (there are 3 in the cab area, that act as a comms bus between different computer systems). They're not too difficult to locate, but can be difficult to troubleshoot. Plenty of videos on how to check them though!

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CAN Bus/Star Connectors - Capacitor in them goes bad (there are 3 in the cab area, that act as a comms bus between different computer systems). They're not too difficult to locate, but can be difficult to troubleshoot. Plenty of videos on how to check them though!

I will definitely check that out.

I want to add to that sometimes the heated seats would come on....and then go off in like 3 to 4 seconds you could here it under the dash click.

I can live without heated seats, I'm in Alabama I want the ac to work when it needs to lol

OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So these canbus connectors. I found them. Is there diagrams of what wires do what?

Or does anyone have the wiring schematics

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So these canbus connectors. I found them. Is there diagrams of what wires do what?

This post linked below has a link for a service manual for 2013-2016 Ram 1500.

Download the pdf on a pc and use control F to word search the document.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As there are different systems that all communicate between each other, there's no one single wire diagram for them. You would have to look at all the system diagrams, and figure it out from there. That being said, since this is the A/C and the Heated seats, I've included the diagrams for those below. MTC = Manual Temp Control System. ATC = Automatic Temp Control which comes with the 8.4 Radio stack - both below since I don't know what you have. Look for Connector STAR CAN IHS IP.

Attachments

• HEATED-SEAT-SYSTEM.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 2
  • HVAC-SYSTEM---MTC.pdf
    487.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HVAC-SYSTEM---ATC.pdf
    528.8 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
R

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This post linked below has a link for a service manual for 2013-2016 Ram 1500.

Download the pdf on a pc and use control F to word search the document.

As there are different systems that all communicate between each other, there's no one single wire diagram for them. You would have to look at all the system diagrams, and figure it out from there. That being said, since this is the A/C and the Heated seats, I've included the diagrams for those below. MTC = Manual Temp Control System. ATC = Automatic Temp Control which comes with the 8.4 Radio stack - both below since I don't know what you have. Look for Connector STAR CAN IHS IP.

Thank you guys so much. I've never been great with eletrical but about to dive into it. I'll report back with what I can find.