Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had already posted about this issue but wanted to give a better run down of what is going on. I brought the truck into the dealership just a few days ago and they are not getting any codes at all. They do not know the problem.

I bought the truck in May of 2012. Short after I bought the truck I installed new LED headlights without the high def conversion. I installed them myself. I also installed LED taillights.

Around the same time I installed an after market stereo, a short time later I added an amplifier and subwoofer.

Around february/march of 2013 my low beam headlights would not work, only high beam. I brought the truck in to the dealership and they had to replace the TIPM.

For well over a year the truck was fine, no issues besides a dead battery which needed replaced twice. The walmart battery must have been faulty because after a month or two in cold weather it was a goner. I brought the truck into the dealership and it failed all tests, they installed a mopar battery and no issues since.

Around the beginning July or so my air conditioning started dieing on me and wasn't cooling very well. Eventually it quit cooling all together. I think I waiting too long to charge it and it dropped low enough to shut down the compressor. I had to wait to get some funding before taking it in.

Around the same time give or take I began having electrical issues. My radio, headlights, dash lights, airbag indicator and turn signals would work on and off randomly. I could drive one morning to work with no issues at all (only a mile to work) and then the drive home everything would be going on and off. During this same time frame my driver side rear window stopped working, not sure if motor or a short.

I brought the truck in like stated above and they discharged and recharged the system with no issues. They found a lose connection in the dash and tighten it. They added dye and will take back in a few weeks to check for leaks.

The dealership could not figure out the electrical issue. They won't pull out the after market radio and said the headlights could be the cause. They all worked with no issues for so long so I do not know what this could be.

Anyone have any ideas or help at all? Thanks and so much appreciation. I am not a very good car guy but WANT to learn!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok what kind of headlights did you install??
Next did you use the proper audio integration harness for the Can-Bus system that all trucks from 06 to current have??
These 2 need answered first before I can help any. Kinda sounds like the LeD lights you bought might be part of the problem.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok the tail lights are decent and should not cause any problems. I have a similar set and have had no problems at all with mine.
The interface is fine if you followed the instructions to the letter.

Now the headlights. Although they are a decent set where a lot of people go wrong is when they hook them up. The LeD's and the Halos should be either connected to a switched relay on their own circuit, or connected into the turn/marker light circuit, never connect the led's and halos into the headlight circuit. Someone else on these forums had a similar problem as you and that is what he did. He connected the halos into his headlight circuit and it caused a lot of problems. The Halos should be connected into the parking lamp circuit. If you decide to connect the leds into the turn signal then you will need to add a resistor to the circuit. That will stop the fast flashing that can be caused by the LeD's.
Lemme know just how you connected everything up so I can further help out.

OP
OP
J

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In the last part you said "stop the fast flashing". What did you mean by that? Did you mean the turn signals flashing fast? Right now when I turn the turn signals on the tick sound starts normal and then goes faster. tick...tick...tick.tick.tick.tick. That has been going on for a while but not the whole time I have had the lights, only since sometime after they replaced the TIPM.

Also since they fixed my A/C I have had no electrical issues, knock on wood. Typically I would have issues almost once a day. I drove back from the dealership maybe 4 miles then drove yesterday for a total of at least 2 hours and then today to work and back without a single issue.

Since the freon level dropped so low and shut down the a/c compressor could that have done something? It started around the same time or shortly after I lost A/C a couple of months ago. Now that the A/C is fixed, no electrical issues.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok seeing as the only issue you have now is the fast flashing turn signals, the problem may be with your taillights. Most of them have a circuit built in that stops this, but it kinda sounds like the circuit in yours ahs gone bad. If you have your old taillights still plug them into the harness and see if they do what the Led ones are doing. If they are not then replace the led tails with a pair of good quality new ones. If they do the same thing then replace the turn signal relay.