Engaging/dis-engaging 4×4, max speed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears
Engine
Hello all! Running a 2017 Ram 1500, 4×4, CC, 392gears, approx. 35,500kms, bone stock.

We got about 4" of snow overnight here in S. Alberta. It was quite warm when the snow started to fall which melted, then froze overnight. Had a whiteknuckle drive this morn!

Between getting on and off highway ramps/exits, along w/encountering drier sections of the roadway... I keep my speed under 80km/h(50mph), whether I'm engaging or dis-engaging the four wheel drive. Never had any problems, mayb the occassional gentle hiccup upon engaging!

I've read through my entire owners manual and watched the DVD that came w/it. And I have never found any exact instructions regarding the proper/safest speed when engaging/dis-engaging the four wheel drive.

I'm sure everybody has their own preferred process! Would very much like to hear from my fellow Ram owners on this topic!

Thanks to all the military Veterans out there. Good day.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which transfer case do you have, and is it manual or electronic shift?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are we talking 4 Auto, 4 High, 4 Low?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If you have auto, lock, low and 2wd options you have the 44-44 transfer case. You can shift this t case at any speed as long as all wheels are rotating the same speed when You engage it. If you're spinning things will break. I shift mine on the fly Upto 120km with no issues at all.

OP
OP
C

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry 4 the multiple posts.

BW-44, electronic shift, no auto 4×4.
I have 2wd, 4-high, 4-low & a neutral.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you have 4xAuto, put it in that and leave it there. That is EXACTLY what that setting is made for. Dry roads, icy, wet, it adapts fine. 4x Lock, or 4x Low which you would never be using on paved roads anyhow, are the only ones you need to worry about dry roads and then only if they are dry for extended distances. If you only have 4x Lock or High, like my 2021 2500 with electronic selector and 6.4 engine, I switch it in and out up to 100 Klms no problem, but NEVER when the tires are spinning and foot off the gas. I am just north of you so, if the roads are bad enough to need 4x4 I am rarely doing even 100 on them, more like 70-80.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on. Yes, always low low speeds, of neutral when engaging 4-low.

More interested in opinions specifically for engaging/dis-engaging 4-high at speed. Thanks!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ah ok you have the bw 44-45 t case with this case I'd reccomend not shifting it over 50km unless you're in a pinch. This t case is much like the 44-44 except everything inside is mechanically operated to engage the clutches. If you're rolling and engage it and the clutches are already into the lock up sequence you'll hear a loud clunk of the front driveshaft locking in with the front diff and could possibly break the locking sleeve in the front diff that locks both front axles together.

The 44-44 doesn't engage until you have rear wheel spin so this is the saving grace for on the fly shifting but it's also major flaw with its system as well.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah ok you have the bw 44-45 t case with this case I'd reccomend not shifting it over 50km unless you're in a pinch. This t case is much like the 44-44 except everything inside is mechanically operated to engage the clutches. If you're rolling and engage it and the clutches are already into the lock up sequence you'll hear a loud clunk of the front driveshaft locking in with the front diff and could possibly break the locking sleeve in the front diff that locks both front axles together.

The 44-44 doesn't engage until you have rear wheel spin so this is the saving grace for on the fly shifting but it's also major flaw with its system as well.
Isn't that what my fancy override switch is for? :)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That really only comes in handy when slogging through mud or rock crawling ...or pulling someone out of a ditch. For street use and mixed road conditions, the auto is usually the way to go...for *most* people.

I'm a "SelectTrac" kind of guy myself! :waytogo:

OP
OP
C

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never encountered "a loud clunk" while engagin the 4wd.

Again, I do not have an "auto 4wd" option on my electronic knob shifter.

Mayb I should amend my original post. I have no questions on "when" or "how" to use the 4wd options. Just curious regarding the speed at which owners are engaging/dis-engaging 4-high at speed.

If you're able to include what model(1500, 2500, PW?), what transfer case and if said transfer case is controlled electronically or manually........ please do so!

Thank again.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I've never encountered "a loud clunk" while engagin the 4wd.

Again, I do not have an "auto 4wd" option on my electronic knob shifter.

Mayb I should amend my original post. I have no questions on "when" or "how" to use the 4wd options. Just curious regarding the speed at which owners are engaging/dis-engaging 4-high at speed.

If you're able to include what model(1500, 2500, PW?), what transfer case and if said transfer case is controlled electronically or manually........ please do so!

Thank again.
Updated my post to include requested information. See above.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If it was a concern, you’d find it in the manual.

Vehicles years ago had published limitations, but it’s gone the way of the dodo with modern designs. It’s all computer controlled and it won’t allow you to perform anything outside of bounds, like shifting to 4L at 60 mph.

I grew up in the old school and always avoided high speed engagements. Then came the experience of accidentally engaging 4H at 80 mph with my 2000 Ram (thanks to the designers putting the round shift selector adjacent to the round HVAC knob). Nothing broke, nothing made a weird noise, it just engaged. NBD.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
BW-44, electronic shift, no auto 4×4.
I have 2wd, 4-high, 4-low & a neutral.
Your transfer case is the BW44-45 part-time. You can shift in/out of 4X4 High up to 55 mph. Chances are if your going faster than this the road conditions probably don't warrant shifting to 4X4. You can travel faster once locked in.
Low range you need the transmission in neutral and rolling 5 mph or less.