Engaging/dis-engaging 4×4, max speed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Engage it at any speed you desire and don't give it a second thought. It's fine, no matter what tcase you have. Don't overthink it.

Davis MacD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems that you can slam it into 4-wheel high at 100 mph but no one is willing to say it out loud or has tried.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read sumwhere( just cant remember where i read it)
That you can turn the dial all you want to any setting,if the vehicle meets all the criteria(computer stuff i assume)to allow it to change/shift it will.
Does that sound about right?
I mean,will the truck forcably hurt itself with electronic dial?
I can tell you this i turned it to 4 low one time on a test drive before i purchased at about 20mph im guessing(dont remember),it didnt do anything but flash the 4low light in the dash..thats what prompted me later when I got home to search the light thinking sumthing is wrong with this 4wheel system and found the procedure.Dial was new to me at the time as I only knew bout levers from way back.
Kinda like I found out using remote start then jumping in and turning the key from habit...starter didnt do anything like grind on the ring gear.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the systems with the knobs and electronic engagement, I doubt they would allow the truck to physically shift into 4wd unless certain criteria is met. With that said I would say you could turn the shifter knob into 4wd anytime you want. In generally going higher speeds is not an issue as long as you are not spinning the tires. However if you need 4wd that also means you shouldn't be driving that fast, meaning you probably shouldn't be driving 80 mph..........

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
90mph, studded Hakkas, 4x4, cruise, ugly Montana I-15 over Monida pass into Idaho mid-January, stellar 6.4 fuel economy, good luck everybody else… I even managed to take a stable picture!

To be fair, the 6.4 didn’t like being shifted into 4 wheel drive above 65mph.
IMG_2777.jpeg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
90mph, studded Hakkas, 4x4, cruise, ugly Montana I-15 over Monida pass into Idaho mid-January, stellar 6.4 fuel economy, good luck everybody else… I even managed to take a stable picture!

To be fair, the 6.4 didn’t like being shifted into 4 wheel drive above 65mph.
View attachment 532152

I recall one hellish winter trip at night I took with 2 other truck over Monida pass in I 15 back in 1984, that is one trip I will never for get for the rest of my life, me and 2 other trucks drove that road at about 3 MPH due to blowing snow aka a white out, it took us hours to reach Idaho to find out they had closed the roads north and south, we were asked how we were on it :jawdrop:...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've shifted my 44-45 into 4 hi at over 70 mph no problem.
The key is that all wheels are spinning at the same speed, after that it really doesn't matter what speed that is.

It doesn't like going into 4hi when the front and rear wheels are at different speeds though - like if the front was hydroplaning or similar situation.

I prefer to shift in and out at speed on patchy roads vs. leaving it in 4hi and forgetting that I am in 4hi and driving on dry roads.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I read this, my head spins and I realize I still have a lot to know about these "modern" drive systems.

Sitting next to my Power Wagon is my still in use and great running 1993 Dodge........ its like a horse and buggy compared to the technology in my 2022 (the spaceship in comparison).

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've shifted my 44-45 into 4 hi at over 70 mph no problem.
The key is that all wheels are spinning at the same speed, after that it really doesn't matter what speed that is.

It doesn't like going into 4hi when the front and rear wheels are at different speeds though - like if the front was hydroplaning or similar situation.

I prefer to shift in and out at speed on patchy roads vs. leaving it in 4hi and forgetting that I am in 4hi and driving on dry roads.
Agree, have shifted at 70 on many occasions with zero issues. 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 no auto 4x4.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I could be traveling 45 mph and shift into 4WD Hi as long as my foot is not pressing the accelerator pedal but…
in 4WD low I have to be at a complete stop in neutral or at least in neutral traveling less than 5 mph.

Sometimes when my front tires are not facing completely forward during the process engagement is not as fluid.
( going into or out of )

There’s no way I going to “Tokyo Drift” around corners or make hard turns with 4WD engaged …max speed 45 mph.
Other wise I think you might be referring to eggnog mode.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It seems that you can slam it into 4-wheel high at 100 mph but no one is willing to say it out loud or has tried.

I wouldn't say no one.

As for OP. Just going to mention this first. If you need 4Hi, Then drive for the road conditions.

If this hurts or not, is different story, and the reason isn't important.

I have switch from 2D to 4HI and 4HI to 2D @ speeds up to 180km on dry pavement and on wet around 120-125 KM.
Mine is the same as yours, don't have auto. I wouldn't switch between modes going around a corner at any speed.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless your off-roading the truck, do you need 4X4 suddenly when going 70mph or faster on public roads? (Even +55 mph for that matter). If the road conditions are that degraded should one really be going that fast. I could give a crap what happens to someone going that fast but it's the other people around them that are put in danger.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless your off-roading the truck, do you need 4X4 suddenly when going 70mph or faster on public roads? (Even +55 mph for that matter). If the road conditions are that degraded should one really be going that fast. I could give a crap what happens to someone going that fast but it's the other people around them that are put in danger.
Often times when traveling on the interstates there are just patches of snow here and there, usually where the wind has blown it across the road. The rest of the road is absolutely dry but there are these patches.
With 4 Auto you could just put it in that and stay in it, but with the 44-45 that isn't an option and driving in 4 Hi on dry pavement is a no no.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Many years ago, when I was a ski patroller at a Quebec ski hill, the highway to get there was often full of snow (not plowed) and lane changing could get pretty hairy.

I was driving a small Nissan Kingcab 4x4 and much younger, 30+ years ago. :cool:

The right lane would be clear'ish from traffic volume and there would be a large mound of snow to cross, into and out of, the short and rare left passing lanes.

Plus, having an Ontario plate on a Quebec highway was always an invitation for tailgaters, if you spent any extra time in the passing lane.

Of course, now, I'd just slow down. :cool:

I should add, that crossing that mound of snow between lanes was far less stressful while in 4x4 and I didn't need 4x4 while travelling straight down the highway.

Also, the 4x4 system was completely different on the Nissan. It used autolocking hubs and once they were locked, switching between 4x2 & 4x4 was pretty seamless, at least while driving in a straight line and provided you didn't backup in between. :cool:

Last edited:

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Often times when traveling on the interstates there are just patches of snow here and there, usually where the wind has blown it across the road. The rest of the road is absolutely dry but there are these patches.
With 4 Auto you could just put it in that and stay in it, but with the 44-45 that isn't an option and driving in 4 Hi on dry pavement is a no no.
This is the exact reason I switch mine at higher speeds. Dry or slightly wet road and then some snow. I'll let off gas and hit 4 hi and wait for it to engage and slow down to a more appropriate speed depending on road condition.