Engine hours help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
This is a re-post from a different thread I'm copying here in case it helps anyone else with this issue who finds this thread instead of the other one.

**********************************************************************************************************

Well well well. Ever since I started investigating my engine idle and drive hours relationships (see posts 11 & 20), I've been logging those hours every two to four weeks. Since I realized my drive hours had almost certainly reset at some point in the truck's past, and thus were probably MUCH higher than they registered on the display, I wasn't worried about regularly logging them as much as when I first made post 11.

Well yesterday I happened to scroll down to the idle/drive hours page on my truck's display and GUESS WHAT I SAW???

2022-09-16 - Drive Hours Reset to Zero.jpg

Caught red handed!

For the data-driven people, here is how my idle and drive hours had been progressing up to this day:

2022-09-16 - Mileage and Engine Hours.png

So, rest assured, the drive hours most certainly DO reset, for what reason I don't know. But if you're concerned, just log them once every two weeks or so for about 10 data points, graph their slopes like I did, and project those slopes from 0 to estimate what your true drive hours likely are, instead of the knee-capped value registered on the truck's display.

I hope this helps put some of your concerns to rest. Good luck driving!

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a re-post from a different thread I'm copying here in case it helps anyone else with this issue who finds this thread instead of the other one.

**********************************************************************************************************

Well well well. Ever since I started investigating my engine idle and drive hours relationships (see posts 83 & 84 on page 9), I've been logging those hours every two to four weeks. Since I realized my drive hours had almost certainly reset at some point in the truck's past, and thus were probably MUCH higher than they registered on the display, I wasn't worried about regularly logging them as much as when I first made post 83.

Well yesterday I happened to scroll down to the idle/drive hours page on my truck's display and GUESS WHAT I SAW???

View attachment 502555

Caught red handed!

For the data-driven people, here is how my idle and drive hours had been progressing up to this day:

View attachment 502556

So, rest assured, the drive hours most certainly DO reset, for what reason I don't know. But if you're concerned, just log them once every two weeks or so for about 10 data points, graph their slopes like I did, and project those slopes from 0 to estimate what your true drive hours likely are, instead of the knee-capped value registered on the truck's display.

I hope this helps put some of your concerns to rest. Good luck driving!
WOW! I wonder how that happens, and if it is certain years. My '15 hasn't done this yet, at least, since I've had her.