Engine oil check valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

depmike38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know oiling problems and cam/lifter issues have been beat to death but I went to use my 21 Bighorn after it sat for a week and once again had to listen to it chatter until it settled down. I'm through the last of the "free" oil changes I got when I bought it two years ago (I do add Lubeguard when I get home) but to this point it's been run on the factory oil. All of my other vehicles are on Mobil1 oil and filters. The latest excuse I received about the racket from my dealer of choice, and this was from the service manager, is that the Hemi block is tall? and it takes a few seconds to push the oil up to the top of the engine which is where my question comes in as I have never torn down a Hemi this being my first non-Ford or GM purchase. Does this engine(height notwithstanding) not have any form of an anti drain back valve in it's oiling system that holds oil up in the lifters when it's shut down? I remember something having to do with a Toyota or Nissan in the 70's where on shutdown all the oil in the top of the engine drained back to the block and they ran somewhat dry on startup and they had to create a fix for it. This just seems like a similar problem and that the oil simply isn't staying in the lifters/top of the engine which no variation of oil, filters, and additives can compensate for.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
There is ADB valve on these engines. But the issue isn't that on gen 3 hemi's. It's the distance they put between the crank and cam, shallow lifter angle (with non flow through lifters), the oil passage they stuck between the crank and cam and a lack of sling at low RPM's to get oil where it needs to go.

Best advice, don't idle the engine. Get in it, start it up and get to driving. Oil pressure and sling are your friends on a gen 3 hemi. Idling will kill the cam/lifters, mostly due to lifter angle being too shallow to allow for oil run down on to the cam lobes. The only way the lobes are being oiled is via sling from the crank.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Try a better oil filter. There are ADVs in them.

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ON a cold start, mash the gas pedal to the floor to cut off the fuel pump. Spin it over for 15-20+ seconds to get oil in the engine, then release the throttle.

I do that on my V6 after its been sitting. Makes a big difference if they have been sitting for a week or more. If sitting for very long, do that a couple of times, waiting a minute between to keep the starter cool.

OP
OP
depmike38

depmike38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I'm going to address the filter issue on the next oil change and will try the holding the accelerator down and spinning up the oil pressure. It's a great truck and I'd like to treat it as well as I can. Drove it home 300 miles yesterday pulling a dead 2700lb car on a dolly at 65-70 mph locked down into 8th to shut off the MDS and it averaged 19.4 mpg. Can't complain about that.