Engine replacement 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zerpda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. So I was recently on a trip from Ca to Tx. 2010 1500 Laramie 4x4 Truck decided to go down on me at the furthest point from home, and had to have it towed home. My question is, I'm told that the engine suffered a catastrophic failure, rounded a cam lobe. Prior to the problem, I never had any heating issues, never had any smoking, or any weird sounds. Truck runs ok under 30mph, but terrible if you try to go faster. I've been to 2 different shops one in Tx, one in CA, and they both gave same diagnosis. So the local shop is recommending an engine replacement with a Jasper motor. Total cost of replacement, including install/labor, all parts is $9700. First off, is Jasper a quality product, and second, does that quote sound reasonable? I've no experience as a mechanic, so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Question for you who have done an engine replacement. I know the speedometer can't be reset, but can the "hours" display under vehicle information be reset to zero? Garage told me there is no way to change that and I'm wondering if that is accurate. T.I.A.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can search the forum for reviews and engine replacement threads. $10k is a lot of money, is the rest of the truck in great shape to make the investment worth it? If you aren't keeping truck for a while after, you could find a quality used engine and then drive until you trade or sell it.

OP
OP
Z

Zerpda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the rest of the truck is in great shape or I wouldn't even consider. I wouldn't be able to find something close to the quality for less than $27, and that's a smaller truck. I'm the second owner, and never beat on it. Not sure if you added the note on Jasper engine reviews in your post, or if it was automatic. Anyway, I did see some posts regarding Jasper being junk, but then I read that was over 30 years ago when they had a real problem, that they are pretty solid these days. Its why I posted here. I was hoping to possibly hear from someone who may have experienced Jasper, either good or bad.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have other options. You could short block it, that's new lower portion of the motor, block, and internals, and just transfer your heads, intake, and other externals. Might save you some money. Consider a valve job while the heads are off.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If
Hello all. So I was recently on a trip from Ca to Tx. 2010 1500 Laramie 4x4 Truck decided to go down on me at the furthest point from home, and had to have it towed home. My question is, I'm told that the engine suffered a catastrophic failure, rounded a cam lobe. Prior to the problem, I never had any heating issues, never had any smoking, or any weird sounds. Truck runs ok under 30mph, but terrible if you try to go faster. I've been to 2 different shops one in Tx, one in CA, and they both gave same diagnosis. So the local shop is recommending an engine replacement with a Jasper motor. Total cost of replacement, including install/labor, all parts is $9700. First off, is Jasper a quality product, and second, does that quote sound reasonable? I've no experience as a mechanic, so any help is appreciated.
If you guys have O'Reilly auto parts out there, you might check into a Power Torque reman engine. I've installed 2 of them over the past 5 years... and nary a problem. AND, their price was unbeatable with a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.

If you do not have that chain out there, you might google the brand and see if anyone local to you does carry them.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Check out MMX HEMI crate engines at modernmusclextreme.com.

Can't hurt to take a look.