exhaust suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

videokid14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi 4x4 quad cab. I'm told my exhaust manifolds are rottedat the flange meeting the y pipe. I also have some broken exhaust manifold bolts. I dont have much money but is is very loud, smelly, and annoying anymore. I guess the flange let loose and heard a big pop. so im told I need ne manifolds, and y pipe with converters. would it be easier and cheaper to go with headers instead? over the summer i needed a new muffler with tailpipe and resonator. was told $900. I had a new muffler put on and had a custom dual exhaust to tail end for $300 instead. all I need now is manifold or headers to the muffler?? of I cut out the converters or do headers and straight pipe, what about the o2 sensors? I was given a $2200 estimate at monroe. I know I can get new parts cheaper than them. need suggestions kinda wanna go headers and stainless bolts. seems simpler to me.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Short tube headers will bolt up easy if you want to go the header route anyway but just because your manifold bolts are broken doesn't mean they need replaced. If they are supper warped you will need to sand/machine them which may be cheaper than replacing. Mine weren't warped so I just fixed the bolts and put them right back on for $free.99.

As someone who deleted my cats (the wrong way) I would say keep them there unless they are causing issues. You will only end up with more error codes. If you are tuning that is a whole different story but assuming you aren't running a tune I would leave them alone.

Welding in a Y pipe should be easy/simple enough.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exhaust Manifold bolts break due to the EM's warping. Warped EM's can be flattened with a belt sander. Ram EM's are easy to swap out (you need to take the EM's off to replace broken studs). If your EM's need to be replaced, used stock 5.7 EM's should be cheap from a local junkyard or a member of this forum (or maybe even free). It's about 50 total screws and bolts (including wheels and fender liners) to do both sides, and you can do it on jack stands. You might also look for some used headers, installing shorty headers is almost exactly the same as reinstalling the EM's.
I can't advise you on removing the CC's , but many people say it requires a tune, which may increase your costs significantly.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you're wanting true gains, then go with long tube headers, period.

If you'd like mild improvement, but still connect to the stock system for cost effectiveness (like I did with my 19') then choose shorty headers.

Regardless, you'll want to upgrade the stock y-pipe to a nice custom 2.5" set up, and a decent cat back system to help the system run as unobstructed as possible.