Exhaust valve tick/OEM or aftermarket replacement manifolds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Advanced thanks for any input to my question.

I have the dreaded Hemi tick and diagnosed it as a broken manifold stud(s), passenger side. It does quiet down by the time the engine hits operating temp. So I'm asking if there are better aftermarket options to OEM headers? Same for gaskets and the like. I will replace both sides. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a good audio recording but couldn't figure out how to upload it here so here's a link to my DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjabakj4j33qj0b/New Recording 3.m4a?dl=0

Cheers

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
There are aftermarket shorty headers available. Don't be cheap or you'll be replacing them quite quickly. Also look up graphite gaskets. They're great and take up some slack and warping. They're thick but man they seal!

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will be following this thread. I have the same. Broken passenger side studs. My rear studs are broke off in the block. Been putting off doing this. Sounds like ass on startup until it warms up. Then just a slight shart sound on acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are aftermarket shorty headers available. Don't be cheap or you'll be replacing them quite quickly. Also look up graphite gaskets. They're great and take up some slack and warping. They're thick but man they seal!

BBK Shorty Headers 4014. Are these any good or are they the cheap ones you were referring to?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I wouldn't put any bbk on my truck after my experience! You couldn't give me their products. Steer clear.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get ahold of Matt @ Moes. He has everything you need. He sells the good stuff.

Shorty are a fairly cheap, simple mod for those of us that are too lazy to do a full system.

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I was prepared to replace the exhaust manifolds myself but got a tip about an exhaust shop about 15 mins from my house that does top-quality work. On a whim, I took my truck there for them to look at. They gave me a price of $250 to do both sides. They have their own machine shop on-site so they'll remove the manifolds, resurface them, and reinstall with new gaskets and hardware. I made an appointment for June 18th. I'll let you all know how it goes, but honestly, judging by their reputation, and immaculately clean and organized shop (everything has a place and everything in its place), I think they'll be my new, go-to repair shop.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know man, I'd be careful. The dealer has deep pockets, and unless they do a lot of these, if they drill too far into the block there are coolant and oil galley's they can hit, it has happened here before. Double check with them if they have done many of these.

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know man, I'd be careful. The dealer has deep pockets, and unless they do a lot of these, if they drill too far into the block there are coolant and oil galley's they can hit, it has happened here before. Double check with them if they have done many of these.

Thanks for the dealer warnings, but this is a private exhaust shop that does everything from OEM to custom, hi-performance systems. As for dealers, I never go to a dealer unless it's a warranty or recall.

Cheers, and thanks again for your reply.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would never go to a dealer either, except for exhaust bolts. If something goes wrong, you know you will get paid. I'm sure it will work out for ya, I just cover all my basis even if it is .01 chance of it happening, like it has happened on ram forum before. Personally, I would have never expected this or even thought about it, but other ram forum members that had exhaust holes drilled too far by exhaust shops brought it to our attention. End up with coolant in your oil and oil in your coolant, it sucked.

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my passenger side three days ago. I went stock style exhaust manifold due to money constraints. Boy was it a pain in the ass doing it myself. 4 hours it took me for one side, two snapped bolts in the block. On the bright side, I learned to weld that day.

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Took my RAM 5.7 to the exhaust shop today and they only had to do the passenger side. Total = $169.00 to remove, machine, reinstall with new gasket and hardware. I think that's a deal.

Cheers

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Motned, if you really liked their work will you please post the name of the shop, I will be needing this done soon and am just outside Philadelphia in Springfield, PA. Thanks. Mike.

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine