Failure to update maps caused whole system to fail.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few days ago we purchased a 2016 Ram 1500. The maps were WAY off. Showing I was in Texas yet I was in NC. Totally useless. I read the manual on how to update the maps and followed the instructions to a T. Each time it stuck on Unit # 11, Total unit count 15, unit % complete 1%, Total % complete 67 %. Same place each time. Then it says to remove the USB and try again. It never works. Now I have no Nav, no bu camera, no radio. Nothing that screen controls. And the attempt to upgrade won't stop running even with the truck off. It's running my battery down overnight. How can I get back to what I had before all this mess?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Not that it helps you now, but the position error indicates some sort of error on the GPS position, perhaps hardware related. Outdated maps won’t put you in another state.

Probably this will require dealer level tech to fix. Hopefully the radio is not a brick now.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One thing to try is remove the USB and the disconnect the positive and negative wires on battery. Then let it sit for a while. Then connect wires, and first see if radio has reset. If not disconnect the wires again, then after connecting back, turn on truck and then when screen prompts for USB plug until it tells you it is prechecking it and when you see that unplug USB. It may break loop or may not. If not, you can either drive around for days or a few weeks until it finally finishes or get a new head unit.

Personally, I would reach out to crutchfield and they will work with you to get a new system cheaper than a new 8.4. I also recommend not getting Nav, get a radio that has Apple car play it Android Auto and use your phone. Cheaper in the long run. Good luck

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A couple of years ago , my 2016 Ram Navigation went haywire..
What had happened was i had not kept up with the Regular Radio software, i was at least 3 updates behind.

Each update has to be done, before you move on to the next update, you can not skip any

zrock

Reaction score
Not that it helps you now, but the position error indicates some sort of error on the GPS position, perhaps hardware related. Outdated maps won’t put you in another state.

Probably this will require dealer level tech to fix. Hopefully the radio is not a brick now.
agree this was a hardware issue and not a software issue.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The great UConnect system.... epic failure time & time again.

Firstly, welcome from Ontario, Canada, and congrats on your new truck. They are great trucks, so don't let this discourage you.

As many will tell you, one inherent flaw in any modern MOPAR be it car or truck is the dreaded UConnect head unit.

As has been suggested, Crutchfield is a fantastic source for a one-stop-shop solution to get a new head unit. And when you do, get one that has Android Auto/Apple Car Play so this way you never ever have to worry about a dedicated NAV system head unit; having to update to the latest maps available.

Switch it out and enjoy your new Ram ownership experience.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had 2 perfectly good 8.4AN radios in my 2009 & 2016 Rams. The 2009's Navigation was actually the better of the two.

The Navigation never failed me, as long as i kept the software up to date.

The Navigation in both, worked well up in Ontario, Canada
I traveled as far as North Bay & Sudbury & returned back down to Toronto.
The only thing that did not work was my Sprint cell phone,
When i was up there, there were Pay Phones at every convenience store :)

I don't have a Smart Phone, for me a Flip Phone meets my needs.
Other people have used their Smart Phones in my 2016 Ram

OP
OP
D

dfund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI - thanks for all the replies. I have found out that the older model vehicles work on 3 GHz cell frequency which is no longer supported or supplied by most cell carriers. As such, these vehicles can no longer do the Uconnect or map upgrade without using the USB. Many times the USB update fails in older models. Most dealers do not fix these olders models anymore and will only do upgrades that work on the 5 GHz cell signal. In my area this is a $2k+ fix and requires a $14.95 a month fee for the service. Plus I;ll be without my truck for 2 weeks or more. It's all or nothing with the dealer. I have contacted a car stereo company nearby which recommended replacing with a model which will use my cell phone maps instead of being built in. And all services that could be controled with the steering wheel buttons will work too. They were MUCH more helpful than the dealer and less expensive. Mopar really dropped the ball on customer service with me on this. Customer NO service was more like it. That includes the dealer, online support and phone support.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This here is why I have a Garmin GPS device and don't use my phone for navigation. Much more accurate.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
my 2016 Ram 8.4 Navigation radio
works with 4 G lite
my Flip Phone also uses 4G lite

I like that the radio does not receive the OTA Updates
I don't recall if it ever did receive OTA updates

As far as Navigation Maps go, i bought updates from Navigation.com, every 3rd year.

I know my phone works with a Smart Phone too.
The Service Adviser that used to be at the Dealership, used his Smart Phone to show me that it worked with my radio

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my 2016 Ram 8.4 Navigation radio
works with 4 G lite
my Flip Phone also uses 4G lite

I like that the radio does not receive the OTA Updates
I don't recall if it ever did receive OTA updates

As far as Navigation Maps go, i bought updates from Navigation.com, every 3rd year.

I know my phone works with a Smart Phone too.
The Service Adviser that used to be at the Dealership, used his Smart Phone to show me that it worked with my radio
After reading all the issues some on here have had with their OTA updates, I'm glad I just have the low-end 5.0 system that doesn't have that.