Few performance mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
New to the forum. Have a 2001 1500 4x4 quad cab with 5.9. Haven't had the truck on the road in a couple years but I'm working on getting things tuned up and in good running order to put it back in action. Will be planning to do the plenum gasket replacement kit sometime in the near future but I'm curious as to what benefit I may see from going with an aftermarket intake? Only performance mod so far is a knock of 40 series flowmaster.
Once I go through the basic tune up....plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button and air filter I'm considering a few performance mods sometime later possibly and wondering what will get me the best bang for the money. Considering CAI (yes I know not to expect much of anything here, I just like them), intake, ported throttle body, and shorty headers.
What could I expect from these mods and which manufacturers should I consider for each? Also, if I do stay with the OEM intake, what should I look at replacing while that work is being done? Already plan to go with the 180* thermostat and probably a new water pump just as a preventative thing. What else? Thanks for any input and help! Looking forward to getting the old girl back on the road!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Intake manifold swap is my single favorite addition to my truck. Yes there was a slight loss on the low end but that can be easily fixed with supporting mods that i don't have (yet) and it really screams after 3k. Also it makes doing jobs like distributor cap and rotor much easier because you can actually get to them. I have the Mopar M1 and you'll find that most everybody here will recommend that. How we they are hard to find now. You can also get a hughes airgap or modify the stock kegger. My personal preference is the modified keg as the airgap can get pretty expensive and needs more mods to work as well as the m1. Headers are great as well as the throttle body. Also look at Harland sharp 1.7RRs. Since you have a 2001 an sct tuner would do wonders for you as well.

Before any of this is done tho do the tune up and in working order and follow up with a compression test to see if it's even worth adding performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Intake manifold swap is my single favorite addition to my truck. Yes there was a slight loss on the low end but that can be easily fixed with supporting mods that i don't have (yet) and it really screams after 3k. Also it makes doing jobs like distributor cap and rotor much easier because you can actually get to them. I have the Mopar M1 and you'll find that most everybody here will recommend that. How we they are hard to find now. You can also get a hughes airgap or modify the stock kegger. My personal preference is the modified keg as the airgap can get pretty expensive and needs more mods to work as well as the m1. Headers are great as well as the throttle body. Also look at Harland sharp 1.7RRs. Since you have a 2001 an sct tuner would do wonders for you as well.

Before any of this is done tho do the tune up and in working order and follow up with a compression test to see if it's even worth adding performance.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Yeh, will definitely do the compression check first along with the tune up. What supporting mods would you recommend to go with the intake if I can find one? There appear to be several versions of that intake. Do you have a link or info on which particular one I should look for? Had also read about the roller rockers. What would be the reasoning behind that and what would I see from adding them? Same for the tuner, what could I expect there?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you go on jegs or summit racing they'll have the intake listed that you're looking for. They won't have em in stock but they'll have em LISTED. There are 2: one with egr and one without. The one you get does not matter. 94-95s were the only years with egr and if that's all you can find snag it. Just need to plug the egr perry's on the intake but just about any auto parts store will have those. Just plug it BEFORE it goes on the truck so as not to drop them in the lifter valley.

1.7RRs basically give you a little more aggressiveness to the cam that's already in your truck. Pretty solid dyno proven 10hp. For spring mods with the intake i would go with some shorty headers with either true dual or replace the ypipe with an offroad one. The SCT tuning will be expensive but it'll give you more noticeable performance than just about anything else I've listed. I talked to FlyinRyan (THE guy to to go to for tuning) and he said that with a proper tune i shouldn't have lost any of my low end with the intake. I'm currently running a superchips but u have an sct on the way and later on down the road I'll get custom tunes from Ryan. The SCT will eliminate the death flash (you have an 01 so you have it), torque management (burnouts for days), and will time the computer to make all those other bolt ons work together about as perfectly as they can (more burnouts for days).

OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you go on jegs or summit racing they'll have the intake listed that you're looking for. They won't have em in stock but they'll have em LISTED. There are 2: one with egr and one without. The one you get does not matter. 94-95s were the only years with egr and if that's all you can find snag it. Just need to plug the egr perry's on the intake but just about any auto parts store will have those. Just plug it BEFORE it goes on the truck so as not to drop them in the lifter valley.

1.7RRs basically give you a little more aggressiveness to the cam that's already in your truck. Pretty solid dyno proven 10hp. For spring mods with the intake i would go with some shorty headers with either true dual or replace the ypipe with an offroad one. The SCT tuning will be expensive but it'll give you more noticeable performance than just about anything else I've listed. I talked to FlyinRyan (THE guy to to go to for tuning) and he said that with a proper tune i shouldn't have lost any of my low end with the intake. I'm currently running a superchips but u have an sct on the way and later on down the road I'll get custom tunes from Ryan. The SCT will eliminate the death flash (you have an 01 so you have it), torque management (burnouts for days), and will time the computer to make all those other bolt ons work together about as perfectly as they can (more burnouts for days).

Nice! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! Oh and I've seen this mentioned a few times....wth is the death flash?! Lol

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Death flash is a "software update" by dodge. ******* the timing to reduce ping and hide plenum issue. Takes your power into the back yard and "Ol Yellers" it.

Jesus can we get this made into a sticky? Lol perfect info and perfect analogy right there!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Death flash is a "software update" by dodge. ******* the timing to reduce ping and hide plenum issue. Takes your power into the back yard and "Ol Yellers" it.

I agree with MagSport. This is gold

OP
OP
R

Ram4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Question. Looking into some further exhaust mods once things are back up and running good. Would like a set of shorty headers along with a Y pipe with high flow cat or no cat. What do you guys recommend for these? Also what size is the OEM exhaust piping and what size Y pipe should I be looking for? Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Question. Looking into some further exhaust mods once things are back up and running good. Would like a set of shorty headers along with a Y pipe with high flow cat or no cat. What do you guys recommend for these? Also what size is the OEM exhaust piping and what size Y pipe should I be looking for? Thanks!

Gibson stainless or JBA stainless are best bet for shorties. Good quality and won't rust. Y-pipe about the only one I can find is the pacesetter and it's 3" the whole way. What you can also do is get a Flowmaster or Magnaflow direct fit cat and it will have better bent stock Y-pipe without crush points into replacement cat. Can always knock the cat out before you install it if you would rather not have any restriction. Keep 02 sensors so you don't throw codes. OEM is 2.5" piping from cat back. 2000+ has 3" tailpipe after the axle.

Edit: Just realized I think I talked to you earlier too :roflsquared:

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum

JBA and Gibson for shorties yessir. Y-pipes either Flowmaster or Magnaflow with cat, Jegs for catless pipe. You can cut and install one in the Jegs pipe if you want also, probably the cheapest solution. All are good, however the first two are DI/SO cats, the latter would be SI/SO if you choose that. Here is factory exhaust:

x5kkmpU.png

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
JBA and Gibson for shorties yessir. Y-pipes either Flowmaster or Magnaflow with cat, Jegs for catless pipe. You can cut and install one in the Jegs pipe if you want also, probably the cheapest solution. All are good, however the first two are DI/SO cats, the latter would be SI/SO if you choose that. Here is factory exhaust:

x5kkmpU.png

You got a link for the Jegs pipe? I can't find it anywhere

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Long tubes would be your best bet.. only downside is pacesetter is the only supplier who sells them for our trucks. Adds a nice push in the mid and top end. Especially added with a modded kegger, and ported throttle body. 1.77rr is a nice bit in the midrange. Also, depending on the depth of your pockets, and whether rwd or 4x4, plus tire height, changing your final drive gear ratio and adding a limited slip differential. What's the point in adding power if you can't grip up? Swapping the gear will shorten up that 0-60 time quite noticeably. Pricey, but worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Long tubes would be your best bet.. only downside is pacesetter is the only supplier who sells them for our trucks. Adds a nice push in the mid and top end. Especially added with a modded kegger, and ported throttle body. 1.77rr is a nice bit in the midrange. Also, depending on the depth of your pockets, and whether rwd or 4x4, plus tire height, changing your final drive gear ratio and adding a limited slip differential. What's the point in adding power if you can't grip up? Swapping the gear will shorten up that 0-60 time quite noticeably. Pricey, but worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Problem with longtubes is if you're 4x4. Too many say they fit and too many say they don't. I'm currently looking into that. Believe only 1/4 of what you hear and 1/2 of what you see :)