First time diesel owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chad4277

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't plan on this purchase until 3-4 years from now......

So here is why first of all. previously had a 2014 2500 5.7 Hemi bought new from dealer. at 13,000 miles dealer completed track bar recall. at 32,000 miles started to feel a thump in steering/floor. first time to dealer they put tie rods and maybe a control arm. two weeks later noise is back. go back to dealer take test drive with one of their level III mechanics. He immediately says thats the track bar. leave truck at dealer. phone call next day saying they cant fix it the frame needs to be replaced because the tech who did the original recall egged the holes out in the frame where he drilled to install new bracket.

So I made the decision new truck. Didn't want a new frame. The issues that may have created or the negative impact that would have on re-sale value.

what I decided on

2018 2500 6.7 cummins SLT Big Horn.

I know nothing about owning a diesel...........wanted it for towing a fifth wheel..

Really just looking for the do's and don'ts. maintenance recommendations? fuel additives? Do i need to let the turbo cool after towing? Plan on keeping the truck for atleast 10 years. average about 10,000 miles a year.

Thanks

drdarrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I own a 2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW with 80,000 on it. My wife and I live full time in the 5er. We pull about 12,000 miles a year.

Plan on 3 gallons of oil every change and a new filter every time. If you do it yourself, plan on a 5 gallon or larger container and be prepared all that oil to drain very rapidly! Plan on replacing the fuel filters (2 in that year truck) every other oil change. Plan on new ball joints and tie rod ends at about 80k miles. Plan on an emissions service every 62,500 miles. The CCV filter is not cheap. Plan on new tires every 30-40,000 and plan on replacing the China bombs (tires) that will come on your trailer before or very soon after you take delivery. Also plan on weighing your truck and trailer once it’s fully loaded for camping to ensure you aren’t overloaded. Also, pay no attention what so ever to the salesman or advertising about how much weight you can safely tow. Do the arithmetic yourself to ensure you’re within safe limits.

Love my truck! Wouldn’t trade it for any other but I wish I had been prepared for all the above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Darin nailed it. Diesel engine is a $10,000 upgrade. DEF additive in some states. You cannot believe how many people forget to check their DEF reservoir. Fuel cost, in our area is 20-30cents more for diesel. Maintenance and repair,,real money. How often you tow and how much you actually tow helped me make the decision. "do I realy need a diesel" I would realy "like to have a Cummings diesel" I choose the 6.4 hemi for the reasons shared. Hope this is helpful.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Cummins!

OP
OP
C

chad4277

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I do need to add DEF. Thankfully there is a gauge on the dashboard for the level of the fluid...So far so good with the truck. First tow will be this Thursday for about 3 1/2 hours each way to the beach to go fishing.