fixing large gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
So as some of you can maybe tell im largely active on the forums lately and thats because the old ram is going to a local truck show on the 17th and i want to get her all cleaned up! My next project is fixing this obnoxious gap between my hood and front fender, hope someone out there can tell me where to start pulling and pushing to bring the fender out and also pull out the front bumper! Heres a picture of what i need fixed, you can see the driver side is a little under the hood!

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5043.jpg
    IMG_5043.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you open the hood there are a few 10mm or 8mm bolts on the top of the fender. Loosen them a few turns and get it where you want and tighten them back down. Another is up by the windshield under a black plastic cover.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
When you open the hood there are a few 10mm or 8mm bolts on the top of the fender. Loosen them a few turns and get it where you want and tighten them back down. Another is up by the windshield under a black plastic cover.

I tried that but the fender is pulled against the bolts, dont know what else to do

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried that but the fender is pulled against the bolts, dont know what else to do

How does the other side look? Maybe you can adjust the hood the other way and adjust that fender Accordingly ???

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
How does the other side look? Maybe you can adjust the hood the other way and adjust that fender Accordingly ???

The other side has a perfect gap, its lined up and looks how it should.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They seem like they don't have much quality control over that. Seems like if the door doesn't hit the fender they pass it. When I got my 2014 I had to adjust the front drivers side fender backwards and out to match up to the hood correctly and the door gap to look good. Don't even get me started on the rear bumper.... Ugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea but you may have to adjust that fender out and adjust the hood along with it and keep it even but it will even the other side out. At least it should...

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318

Yea but you may have to adjust that fender out and adjust the hood along with it and keep it even but it will even the other side out. At least it should...

Do you think i could create slots for the bolts instead of just one hole on the wheel well?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could probably oval them out a little but if you don't paint it or cover the exposed metal it could start rusting. If the one side is adjust all the way out already I would think the hood isn't perfectly centered. Run a piece of string from the center of your 3rd brake light down to the ram emblem on the grill and see if it goes perfectly down the center of the hood. I would think the hoods too far off to one side. Even though the one side lines up it might just be the fender is all the way in and the hood all the way to one side. Loosen that fender and see if you can pull it out as much as the hood is off on the other side. If you can then leave it there and move the hood. I think the hood you can just loosen the bolts a little while it's open and have a buddy on one side helping you slide it over and tighten the bolts back down. I would do that over making new holes.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
You could probably oval them out a little but if you don't paint it or cover the exposed metal it could start rusting. If the one side is adjust all the way out already I would think the hood isn't perfectly centered. Run a piece of string from the center of your 3rd brake light down to the ram emblem on the grill and see if it goes perfectly down the center of the hood. I would think the hoods too far off to one side. Even though the one side lines up it might just be the fender is all the way in and the hood all the way to one side. Loosen that fender and see if you can pull it out as much as the hood is off on the other side. If you can then leave it there and move the hood. I think the hood you can just loosen the bolts a little while it's open and have a buddy on one side helping you slide it over and tighten the bolts back down. I would do that over making new holes.

you make a good point, ill definitely check that out tomorrow. gives me a chance to reseal my 3rd break light while im up there.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm the same way though. like everything to line up. I even had to re align my exhaust tips when I first got it too along with the fender and rear bumper.

I see people driving Rams and the tips or something is uneven. Just sticks out to me. Some people it doesn't bother either way.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I'm the same way though. like everything to line up. I even had to re align my exhaust tips when I first got it too along with the fender and rear bumper.

I see people driving Rams and the tips or something is uneven. Just sticks out to me. Some people it doesn't bother either way.

i see it when i drive and it annoys me, its that and realizing the truck is short and i need to figure out why.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318

So the hood isn't aligned, where do I start with aligning it?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Just a wild guess, would it help to put washers or shims under the fender before you bolt it down?