Floating Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

it’s my first time owning a truck with air suspension.

I’ve been driving it a few weeks on the highway and in aero mode, the truck seems to be floating.

Doesn’t feel that it’s firmly on the ground.

Is this normal for air suspension?

Thanks.

Alex

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I had never noticed that feeling with ny 2019.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, you are riding on air lol. What was your previous vehicle? Are you used to HD trucks with firm suspension perhaps?

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

Previous ride was a 2006 ram 1500.

Just does not feel like a solid drive.

More body roll then I’m used to.

Just wondering if that’s normal for air suspension.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"floating" as in soft bouncing? Or like a boat floating in soft waves? The only thing that would cause that is bad shocks. Check the rear shocks and see if they are good. What year/model?

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi 2014 Ram 1500 sport.

Not really front to back more like side to side.

Maybe it’s something I just need to get used to.

Just doesn’t feel like a truck is planted firmly on the road.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your coming from a leaf sprung rear suspension to air ride so that may be part of it. Check your sway bars, possible a previous owner removed the front sway bar. May as well replace the sway bar bushings and links front and rear, it’s cheap and easy

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I’ll do that.

I love the concept of air suspension with the ability to raise and lower the truck.

The gas mileage I’m getting is amazing compared to my last truck.

I’m not sure how reliable the system is but at 175K miles it seems to be doing well.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be normal as some have said. Or at your tk's mileage the air shocks are not cutting it. Not the "air bladder" part (which supports the weight), but the actual dampening portion of the shock absorber. Hard to say w/o being there.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to find another tk with air ride and lower miles (dealer, etc) and test drive to compare to yours.

New struts are expensive, but aftermarket ones I've seen for ~$400 a pr for the front. Maybe even cheaper on ebay...IDK.

I've owned cars with air suspension. They do have a somewhat 'floaty' and disconnected suspension. That's just baked into the air-type technology. I personally like air-ride. A lot. Esp in larger cars. Won't be as choppy and fatiguing over long drives. But definitely different than normal spring suspension. You can't get better than 'air' as some have said... LOL

Last edited:

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
I recently put Bilstein 4600 on the rear of my 80,000 mile Ram and they greatly improved the ride quality. But what vastly removed that floating feeling that you are talking about was addition of a Hellwig anti-sway bar. Even in it's middle setting it controls that unnecessary and uneasy feeling. I would start with the shocks but then don't underestimate the benefit that the adjustable anti-sway bar will provide.
Restored "better than new" ride quality, remember when you got in a new truck and you were amazed that you were at highway speeds and it felt so controlled and stable? Well that's these two updates did for me.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
I just added Bilstein's on the front too. And yes, I put new shocks inside the original air-bags.
Still has all 5 factory ride heights. No float just smooth control !

2020 Laramie Longhorn

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

Not getting this:

“And yes, I put new shocks inside the original air-bags.”

Thanks

Alex

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Everything and everyone was saying that the entire assembly had to be changed out all at once, like a MacPherson strut.
But the parts are available and I was able to replace just the shock with a new Bilstein unit from the Rebel. I removed the old original shock from the factory air bag. And installed new Mopar shock inside the original airbag.