Floor jacks and Jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
Unless you have a Front Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive you are not suppose to Front to Rear Rotation

If you have a Rear wheel drive, you are suppose to rotate the tires in a Modified X Pattern
Which means that all 4 tires have to be OFF the ground at once

If all 5 of your tires & wheels are identical
Then there is another rotational pattern that includes the Spare
Strange,some owners manuals have instructions to front/rear and cross rotate at every other rotation schedule

OP
OP
Davidloveshishemi

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
That’s what I thought, that’s what prompted me to ask.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
you can, as I said you do the “straight rotation” on both sides, then Jack up the rear and swap the rear side to side after. That works out to the “x style” in the end, just takes an extra step. That’s how I do it since I only have 2.
That's right! I didn't catch that. Very good. I guess the added work of putting on the rear tires, jacking the rear, taking them back off, and then back on again, is something my brain would not allow me to consider. Brain: "Nah, that's impossible." Me: "Okay."

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand doing only two tires at a time. They call it "straight rotation" at the following website:

https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com...bility/safety/maintaining-tires/tire-rotation

It states that it's an older method, or the method needed for directional tires. And of course, one can choose this method if, say, they only have two jack stands like @bigred90gt has. Or if they just want to do it that way for no particular reason. However, I think a lot of people, myself included, prefer the X-style rotation shown here:

Note that if you follow a single tire through four rotations of the X-pattern, it takes a turn on each hub and returns to its starting point. I feel this gives best wear evenness, and it's how I prefer to rotate my own tires. I think a lot of others like it too.

But the point is, you cannot follow the X-style pattern without raising all four tires off of the ground. That's what the others are talking about.
It's possible to do an X rotation with just a jack, and the spare. It's just a PITA. You would jack up whatever wheel you start with (Lets say Driver Front on a Rear wheel drive for the example), and put the spare on in it's place, drop it, move to where that tire goes (Pass Rear), take that tire to Pass Front, That one to Driver Rear, then swap the spare for the old Driver Rear.

You complete an X, with just a jack, and the spare that FCA hasn't taken from us. And got some motion on your suspension if it is a pavement princess! :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins