For the guys who think they get more power with 91 octane fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You guys do realize you're arguing over a Youtube video, right?
You do realize who made the video hopefully,if not,you've been under a rock for many a year :Big Laugh:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You do realize who made the video hopefully,if not,you've been under a rock for many a year :Big Laugh:
I know who they are. I know they are credible. I also know that this was a test designed and run for a tv show....One brand of engine (GM), controlled atmospheric conditions (A/C dyno room), open-air mounting (not under a heat retaining hood), fixed ignition timing (29deg), operator adjusted ratio, given load setting.....Knowing that "octane" is a rating related to the fuel's ability to resist knock, it's no surprise at the results. In the real world where knock sensors add to the huge stream of data controlling fuel ratios, spark timing, valve timing (on some engines), and even speed of throttle inputs (drive by wire), the fuel's ability to resist knocking affects the power output of the engine. Heat, air density, air temp, load...so many things...Will cause the engine to want to knock at different points with different octane fuels, causing the engine management systems to make adjustments that affect power levels. So, for what the video tested, it was spot-on. For the real world audience, the video was limiting and the results polarized. Typical, given who is producing it. And so I say... You do realize you're arguing about a Youtube video, right?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know who they are. I know they are credible. I also know that this was a test designed and run for a tv show....One brand of engine (GM), controlled atmospheric conditions (A/C dyno room), open-air mounting (not under a heat retaining hood), fixed ignition timing (29deg), operator adjusted ratio, given load setting.....Knowing that "octane" is a rating related to the fuel's ability to resist knock, it's no surprise at the results. In the real world where knock sensors add to the huge stream of data controlling fuel ratios, spark timing, valve timing (on some engines), and even speed of throttle inputs (drive by wire), the fuel's ability to resist knocking affects the power output of the engine. Heat, air density, air temp, load...so many things...Will cause the engine to want to knock at different points with different octane fuels, causing the engine management systems to make adjustments that affect power levels. So, for what the video tested, it was spot-on. For the real world audience, the video was limiting and the results polarized. Typical, given who is producing it. And so I say... You do realize you're arguing about a Youtube video, right?
You better re-watch it again,the timing wasn't fixed,they experimented with the timing and found that it didn't matter what fuel they threw at it,the engine only wanted 29 degree's of timing. Timing is more a factor of combustion chamber design/quench area/piston design. It doesn't matter which late model engine you use,they all only want what is an ideal timing curve,for that particular engine,fuel isn't going to change where it makes it's ideal power curve in regard to timing. And just how do you propose this test be done if you think it wasn't a conculisive test.It's virtually impossible to keep the variables exact doing this test outside with a vehicle,so i'm curious how you'd do a better test and keep the variables as close as possible.Go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom and how you'd do a better test

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You better re-watch it again,the timing wasn't fixed,they experimented with the timing and found that it didn't matter what fuel they threw at it,the engine only wanted 29 degree's of timing. Timing is more a factor of combustion chamber design/quench area/piston design. It doesn't matter which late model engine you use,they all only want what is an ideal timing curve,for that particular engine,fuel isn't going to change where it makes it's ideal power curve in regard to timing. And just how do you propose this test be done if you think it wasn't a conculisive test.It's virtually impossible to keep the variables exact doing this test outside with a vehicle,so i'm curious how you'd do a better test and keep the variables as close as possible.Go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom and how you'd do a better test
I didn't say they could do a better test. You assumed that. Their test, as laid out with the parameters they provided, is accurate. Making the statement that octane does not affect power output is inaccurate in a real world scenario with infinite variables. Let that sink in, if you're capable of doing anything else on this forum except bullying people to see things your way. I suspect you're not.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I started using recently 91 octane/ethenol free as an test/experiment, not for fuel economy or performance, but engine knock.
My 2017 HEMI engine knocked on both 87/89 10% ethenol fuel, the most obvious on 87 and not as much on 89.
So far, my HEMI is quiet on 91 octane ethenol free. I haven't tried 91 10% ethenol but I may give it a try ... it's quicker to fill up at the pump on 91 ethenol free than than the others because there is usually no one at those pumps ... jm2¢

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I didn't say they could do a better test. You assumed that. Their test, as laid out with the parameters they provided, is accurate. Making the statement that octane does not affect power output is inaccurate in a real world scenario with infinite variables. Let that sink in, if you're capable of doing anything else on this forum except bullying people to see things your way. I suspect you're not.
You might want to be careful there,i'd hate to see you stumble and fall down while you're back pedaling that fast ;) :cheers:.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Check out post #7. I'm not even going to comment on your idea of " runs like a rap'ed ape" as apparently you have a differant opinion of what it means from the majority of us, :Big Laugh: :waytogo:

If you really can't figure out what that reference in post #7 was for then yikes homie ...

Same here ... my truck is like like Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, the average HEMI on 89 and 87 uses 10% of it's brain capacity, with 91 it's like Lucy using 100% of it !!!

Let me break it down for you in layman's terms ok?

On 91 not just my truck but others as we can see utilizes all the power it can possibly get, on 89 and 87 it gets ******** and loses power, is that simple enough for you?

That is why I said, maybe you don't know the movie, but Lucy can use up to 100% of her brain most humans only use 10% ... not my fault you didn't like that reference or you just didn't get it ... but on 91 at least to me my truck runs at full power, the full power that it's allowed from factory ok? not that it gains any more power from factory lol ...

On 89 it felt sluggish, it felt like it hesitated at times ... so what don't you understand about that? ... but I get it, only you can be right and no one else right ? ...

That video you posted, that's in a controlled environment ... again take a look at my comment after you posted the video kid, I clearly say 91 doesn't make any more power lol .. and that I was not looking for more power from using 91 lol ... again how hard is it to understand that?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a different note, I'm up in the northeast where they got to put in the 10% Ethanol year around, I choose 93 octane primarily for the Pre ignition knock, and It being a higher octane from my past the fuel last longer before it gets let's say stale in 2-3 months, I don't use my truck on these **** roads as much in the winter, I also use the 93 octane in all of my small engines and never have any carburetor or injector problems, I also treat my engines with Starbrite Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment every 6 months of so, @Wild one can relate to this!!!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If we could all stop pretending to be mad scientists maybe we wouldn’t need to buy anything but stock components or prove to ourselves that we are any less a human by constantly annoying other's that our opinions are the only ones that matter maybe it would be more constructive for them to seek a video link for a psychologist on personality disorders to sort their shortcomings and save us from elementary belittling …

zzZzzZzz

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I use to have a car that recommended high test. But I was afraid high test fuel at the gas station would be old. So I would put octane boost and regular gas in at every fill up. Again with these high gas prices how many people are getting high test. How do you know it's really high test and gas station is not ripping you off.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
If we could all stop pretending to be mad scientists maybe we wouldn’t need to buy anything but stock components or prove to ourselves that we are any less a human by constantly annoying other's that our opinions are the only ones that matter maybe it would be more constructive for them to seek a video link for a psychologist on personality disorders to sort their shortcomings and save us from elementary belittling …

zzZzzZzz
If we all did that we probably would go insane lol ... on my video clan website that I had for 15 years, the forums were open to anything and everything ... as long as people didn't personally insult or threatened each other they were free to say whatever they wanted ... it made for very interesting discussion, arguments, everything you can think of and very rarely did we need to ban people as they all were fine with whatever happened on the forums lol ..

We all have our opinions but some of us just can't seem to respect those opinions and resort to calling people liars or try to change people's words lol ... but I get it, we all need some kind of excitement in our lives and for some these forums are all they have as form of excitement ...nothing wrong with that either ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I use to have a car that recommended high test. But I was afraid high test fuel at the gas station would be old. So I would put octane boost and regular gas in at every fill up. Again with these high gas prices how many people are getting high test. How do you know it's really high test and gas station is not ripping you off.
I don't know how it is in Florida, but out here in California gas stations are regularly monitored on the 91 and higher octane pumps .... Chevron, Shell, Citgo and others, their 91 and up doesn't have ethanol out here ... Shell's V Power 93 does have ethanol though but you can rest assured that these 3 gas companies here in California are high test ....

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Pretty sure all engines have knock sensors
My 1970 Olds W31 didn't have one :)

But yeah, I think all newer computer controlled cars have them.
I have been reading along but my engine building experience was all pre-ECM controlled engines. I do have a pretty good understanding of how the sensors etc work but my expertise was camshaft design and carburetion

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Octane isn’t power, it’s anti knock. Higher octane allows timing to be advanced which is more power. I’m running 87 & truck runs fine. Would it get better mileage on 91…? Maybe. Worth the extra cost…? I don’t know. On a fixed income it’s really hard to hit that 91 button at the pump!

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I've never owned a V8 powered truck that didn't knock using 87 octane. So I've always run 89 or higher. MPG does improve too in my tests with 89 or 91, but not between 89 and 91. No knocks is the best reason.

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '14 runs just fine on 87. I did use 89 for about the first year but did some back to back tank fills and see absolutely no difference between 87 and 89. No difference in driveability, no difference in fuel economy. No way I'm paying up for 91-93 in my RAM. I do pony up for 93 for my Corvette but it sees far fewer miles than the truck.