Fortin EVO Remote Start on 2008 Ram 1500 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ethnic_chameleon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 2008
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Hemi 6.4
Wanted to post this in case someone is looking for some info on installing the Fortin EVO CHRT5 in a 2008 Dodge Ram. This is for the triangle key start version. Also note, that when you buy this, be sure you have the seller flash it for the vehicle you intend to use it on. They should do it for free. I purchased mine on Amazon from Car Alarm Depot for about $90.

First prep the CHRT5 with the provided wiring harness. It is pretty easy.

Simply connect the purple wire to the green/red one and the yellow to the yellow. All the others can be tied off out of the way.

I opted to also install a disable switch so remote start is not possible for when I am working on it. Better safe than sorry. Fortin provides an ugly little toggle, but you can really use any toggle. Connect one leg of the toggle to the dark blue wire coming from the module. It works by grounding the module. Simple and effective.

Next, the fun part. Remove steering column cover by removing the 3 Torx screws on the bottom and the 1 screw holding in the lever for the tilt. The cover should come off easy with a little pressure.

Then locate the small black plug on the ignition module and carefully unplug it.

Now feed the T harness up through beside the steering column and plug one end of the harness into the ignition module and the other into the factory wire.

**These next few instructions were not included in the box. it won't work without doing this.

Look at the remote start module and you will see a small button on the corner. You will need to hold in this button when you plug n the black plug from the harness into the remote start module. You will see the little lights light up. Release the button.

Now, put your key in the ignition and turn to run. Then turn back to off and remove key. Now press the unlock button.

Then plug in 2 white plugs and 1 red plug into the module (being careful not to hit the button). They only fit in their respective plugs and only in one direction, so you're pretty special if you mess it up.

Now, if you decided to be safe like me and have a disable switch, you can decide where to put it. I used the blank knockout on the left just below the headlight switch. I attached the other leg of the toggle to ground.

I used a healthy amount of zip ties to hold it all up out of the way and reassembled the steering column.

Works like a charm so far. For a $90 remote start that uses the factory fob I couldn't be happier. My wife is even happier since this is her truck.

IMG_7308.JPG