Found a fix that worked for a 2017 1500 display screen, 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave M S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 1500 Laramie had an issue I found out that can be common for 8.4 screens. The screen was jumping from SiriusXM to media player all on its own, very randomly and very annoying. Googled that issue and found out it is somewhat common, I tried the reset suggestion, holding the mute button and tuning dial in until the screen went blank and then booted itself back up, but that didn't solve my dilemma. What did work for me was to disconnect the positive lead on the battery and wait a couple of hours, when I hooked it back up and started the engine it did a completely different type of reboot and so far, fingers crossed the display has been working like it use to. The dealer suggests replacing the head/radio unit and the cost for this if the dealer does it is around $1500.00 I know some people are having issues with the display delaminating itself, mine hasnt done that.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2017 1500 Laramie had an issue I found out that can be common for 8.4 screens. The screen was jumping from SiriusXM to media player all on its own, very randomly and very annoying. Googled that issue and found out it is somewhat common, I tried the reset suggestion, holding the mute button and tuning dial in until the screen went blank and then booted itself back up, but that didn't solve my dilemma. What did work for me was to disconnect the positive lead on the battery and wait a couple of hours, when I hooked it back up and started the engine it did a completely different type of reboot and so far, fingers crossed the display has been working like it use to. The dealer suggests replacing the head/radio unit and the cost for this if the dealer does it is around $1500.00 I know some people are having issues with the display delaminating itself, mine hasnt done that.
The ghost touches and delamination are one and the same issue. The battery disconnect you did only appears to have corrected the issue because the electronics were allowed to cool. The problem's symptoms come in stages 1 Radio gets hot, 2 ghost touches occur and 3 overheating causes screen delamination. The issue can be "fixed" by keeping the radio cool only during the the early stages before delamination. I added active cooling to mine and replaced the thermal sync material inside the radio with a higher quality thermal pad. It sounds like yours is in a correctable state and it may be wise (if you like the factory setup) to due some preventive maintenance (attached images of fans). You may be able to get away with fans or thermal material and not both, but I did both and also made a heat shield for the screen from motorcycle fiberglass exhaust wrap sealed with reflective foil tape too...2 years with a formerly ghost touching screen without further ghost inputs (except for once when the fan fuse blew).

To test, drive around on a hot summer day with your heat on full. Ghost touches should start again under these conditions relatively quickly.

Attachments

• IMAG0265 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMAG0265 - Copy (2).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0270 - Copy.jpg
    IMAG0270 - Copy.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0263 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMAG0263 - Copy (2).jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
He ghost touches and delamination are one and the same issue. The battery disconnect you did only appears to have corrected the issue because the electronics were allowed to cool. The problem's symptoms come in stages 1 Radio gets hot, 2 ghost touches occur and 3 overheating causes screen delamination. The issue can be "fixed" by keeping the radio cool only during the the early stages before delamination. I added active cooling to mine and replaced the thermal sync material inside the radio with a higher quality thermal pad. It sounds like yours is in a correctable state and it may be wise (if you like the factory setup) to due some preventive maintenance (attached images of fans). You may be able to get away with fans or thermal material and not both, but I did both and also made a heat shield for the screen from motorcycle fiberglass exhaust wrap sealed with reflective foil tape too...2 years with a formerly ghost touching screen without further ghost inputs (except for once when the fan fuse blew).

To test, drive around on a hot summer day with your heat on full. Ghost touches should start again under these conditions relatively quickly.
Thank you for that idea SKB,i copied your idea awhile ago on my wifes 2019 Challenger,and it's made quiet a differance in how the radio works on a hot day

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you for that idea SKB,i copied your idea awhile ago on my wifes 2019 Challenger,and it's made quiet a differance in how the radio works on a hot day
Yeah, I forgot to mention it performs better when cooled too (at least it feels more responsive/snappy). I'm thinking about tinkering with my wife's new UConnect 5 because it feels super laggy. I think separating the screen from the radio module was a direct result of the delamination issues on the older 1 piece units.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I forgot to mention it performs better when cooled too (at least it feels more responsive/snappy). I'm thinking about tinkering with my wife's new UConnect 5 because it feels super laggy. I think separating the screen from the radio module was a direct result of the delamination issues on the older 1 piece units.
Just saw this post. Great idea, thank you. I’ll be doing this project over the winter.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can I pick your brain? Where did you draw the power for the fans? Simple 12V DC fans? Fans blowing or sucking? What did you use to mount the fans? Thank you

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can I pick your brain? Where did you draw the power for the fans? Simple 12V DC fans? Fans blowing or sucking? What did you use to mount the fans? Thank you
1. Tapped the cigarette lighter plug

2. Arctic F9 Silent, 92 mm 3-Pin Fan... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119SG8X4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3. Sucking away from radio blowing toward engine.

4. Zip ties

I also replaced the factory thermal material with this...

Details here:
Post in thread 'How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM' https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ho...as-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/post-2484546