Frame rotting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck before this one was a 99 2500 diesel, it came from NJ being from FL i didn't know about rust. That thing was a rust bucket, the body had no rust on it but once I started working on it I broke nearly every bolt and then discovered the frame in the very front had holes in it. You could literally hit the frame with a hammer and chunks would fall from inside it. I wound up coating the inside of the frame with a rust inhibitor to slow down the process but sold it before any major issues.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not to be that guy but I wouldn't even think you call that frame rot. It is basically a bracket that holds at most 300 pounds. It rusted mostly because it got water and salt in an area that could not be easily cleaned. It is not the frame it doesn't even support much weight. I understand it is a little frustrating but hardly a warranty or recall issue in my opinion.

OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not to be that guy but I wouldn't even think you call that frame rot. It is basically a bracket that holds at most 300 pounds. It rusted mostly because it got water and salt in an area that could not be easily cleaned. It is not the frame it doesn't even support much weight. I understand it is a little frustrating but hardly a warranty or recall issue in my opinion.

You may not see it as a problem. But the way I look at it is that is a safety concern. Who knows how long the rear strap would have held that tank up if I kept it full. That piece is still part of the frame structure and poses a safety risk of it falling down while going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Great

Another thing to check this spring

Going to have more invested in Fluid Film and LPS 3 then the truck itself

Cruising down the highway at 80 mph , watch out for that gas tank

Insurance would love to hear that

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great

Another thing to check this spring

Going to have more invested in Fluid Film and LPS 3 then the truck itself

Cruising down the highway at 80 mph , watch out for that gas tank

Insurance would love to hear that

It would make for a good Farmers Insurance commercial at least.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Research seems to bee an issue with the 2009 models more

Found more then a few threads and consumer complaints about the issue

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old 97 GMC did that but it was closer to 20 years old and had 300 k on it.

This one gets sprayed every year(Krown).

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Crawled under and checked mine as I did not spray these areas myself over the years

The closest bracket forward I could see pretty good , was just slight surface rust where the strap entered the bracket I could see - No flaking or bubbles

The rear one is further up the frame behind the tank more
Looked really good using some lights

Sprayed the hell out of both using fluid film with attached tube inside the holes t-slots and outside the straps

Every time I wash my truck in the WI winters I make sure to use the under body flush option at the car washes

Now I know why

My frame is black and spotless perfect

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Diamond Kote rust proofing on mine, and it seems to be holding up well. Lifetime warranty.

We bought one of the Diamond Kote electronic units for the wife's car.
I've heard mixed reviews about them, but they have a very comprehensive lifetime warranty.
So for me, it's more about having that warranty than it is about the effectiveness of the unit itself.

Of course, I hope the unit works as advertised.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well today I discovered something very disgusting after noticing one day last week that Ine of my fuel tank straps had undone. Ok no big deal. As I got it on a lift this morning. Realized it wasn't as easy of a fix as originally anticipated. Dropped fuel tank to realize that the frame was rotted out. So we patched it up and stuck tank back up there. Holding for now. Heading to the dealership Monday morning to go search for a new truck. I've had nothing but issues with this truck and this was the final decision maker that I am getting the hell out. 2010 ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 113k
Not sure what I am going to get quite yet but I do know It will be throughly gone through before I choose. I've never had so many problems with any ram I've ever had until I bought this. Anyone ever seen or had this happen to them?

A truck this new should not be doing this... giving up on it

394ebbbc80919d11baeb23aa898564b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Quality Dodge" nothing to do with dodge quality. They all rot some faster than others. Even the same truck same year etc each will rot out differently. If you are somewhere up north where they put salt down, you are going to have to live with it. Your new truck will be just like that in 7 years.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 is going in tomorrow to get sprayed with rust proof. If you live in the salt belt you need to protect your truck.

It wont protect it. The coating doesn't get everywhere. All it does is hide the rust that is happening. It is a waste of money. It would be one thing if the entire frame was done before assembly but there are too many spots that get missed, holes in the frame, connectors etc.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
It wont protect it. The coating doesn't get everywhere. All it does is hide the rust that is happening. It is a waste of money. It would be one thing if the entire frame was done before assembly but there are too many spots that get missed, holes in the frame, connectors etc.

Depend on what you coat it with....fluid film, corrosion 3000, NHOil undercoaters, are all examples of really good protectants! These never harden and are easily applied with various extension wands. I have had my truck sprayed every year since new...still looks new underneath. This stuff works!!!! Period. They are able to apply it professionally everywhere including inside rocker panels without drilling a single hole. I highly recommend it if you want to preserve your vechicle. Without oxygen there is no rust.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No rust issues on the 11 I just traded in. Was exposed to six salty Jersey winters.

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck came from Canada and only has some surface rust. The state of Pa is doing their best to change that with excessive amounts of salt and brine solution...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is a bracket not the actual frame bound to happen after many years. No other manufacturer will be any better. I get your upset but still the title is misleading without a doubt as that part is not even the same gauge of steel. Not like the actual frame is just going to fall apart here.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it is just a bracket, can't it be replaced?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If it is just a bracket, can't it be replaced?

Yeah cut it off and weld on a new one or do what op did. Rust will happen when it doesn't dry out which it looks like was the issue here. Where I live the salt eats right through it all not really that bad I have seen way worse for age.